Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo Wars Series

Halo Wars DE First Impressions and Feedback

OP JSA Claimant

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
Hey there folks been playing 2 hours few skirmish and actual online games.
Graphics are better not amazingly better but improved, reactors for example the hook ones look nicer.
Glitches remain, arbiter rage glitch and cannister shell glitch.
Matchmaking system is different you do seem to find games faster as you can host them now.
But and its a big but....
There is no leaderboards.
There is no trueskill system.
There is no leveling system in multiplayer whatsoever.
I pray to god they will phase this in for launch, these are core features of the original game and makes online multiplayer more competitive. If there is nothing to grind for and nothing to compete for then it loses longevity.
I love Halo Wars but please only enhance the original removing core online elements is not good, also there is no 2v2 or 3v3 party system either that means 3 friends can match against 3 randoms ruining the balance of the game.
If it ain't broke don't fix it, and this is not looking good at all, please add a ranking system and please add leaderboards, also ranked teams should only go against teams like the original game for balance.

I love Halo Wars I hope this is phasing in features as basic features are currently missing and it worries me.

The gameplay itself feels a lot smoother though!

Thanks for reading please post your intial thoughts etc.

Sorry for the complaining I enjoy the game just hopping these features will be readded in for launch.
I have enjoyed my experience, the past couple of days I returned to the original halo wars and the movement felt much smoother than before, probably to do with the 60fps. For some reason I just wasn't finding any multiplayer matches, all my options were flexible and I checked 1v1,2v2 and 3v3, only saw 2 matches, when I tried to join it was full. No biggie, I will continue on with the campaign, one day I will beat arcadia on Legendary.
Is the framerate good ?
Stable yes
cabr00kie wrote:
Is the framerate good ?
Improved massively from the first game
I've been trying to finish the co-op missions with my friend i have to say i enjoy every second of the action.
cuz early access, it incomplete i think
I just played it 30 minutes, my first impression was that it looks better indeed, the units look way sharper and hooks look better. But then i started looking more closely and was really disappointed: the cannyglitch is still there making infantry (even hunters obsolete, till tech 3), havent played with gauss yet but i figure that will still be OP, when it comes to the graphics i really hoped they would look at those threes like on Fort Deen, which to my suprise still look terrible. Everthing put together im actually disapointed. This is the chance for 343 to make the game actually better in both gameplay and graphics only to find out they havent fixed the essential parts like the glitches. I hope they stil fix everything above....
seanonix wrote:
cuz early access, it incomplete i think
Yeah i think thats whats going on, i can see why they would leave out ranks, but the true skill system is needed. im sure the game is still in its early stages. I just wish i had my copy.

at least it runs good and stuff
My feedback to the community is quit complaining, i usually complain about things wrong with Halo, but DE is early access, not everything is complete. They are probably focusing on HW2, then will return to finish off HWDE once they have finished. Just have your cake and eat it.

And I quote

"The game you’ll get today is early access – it’s only available to people who pre-ordered the digital version of Halo Wars 2 Ultimate Edition. It also means that we’re still putting the finishing touches on the game before launch, so expect to see more improvements come online between now and February. The team worked insanely hard to bring both campaign and multiplayer online before release in February and we can’t wait to hear what you think."
Early feedback is actually that the game is deceptively improved. At first blush, I didn't see much of a graphical improvement until I toggled back to the original game and then back to DE. Graphics are now WAY better. If you don't believe me, zoom in on the Prophet while he bangs his arm on his floating chair of death. All units look way better. Some maps really show off better graphics better than others. Docks, for example, looked much improved.

Game also runs more smoothly, less of a framerate glitch. I have had the game freeze up once or twice, but I think that was a player dropping out as the cause (or the player got dropped, not clear). Overall, when you have two armies attacking each other, the game handles it better than the original Halo Wars.

The multiplayer system takes an adjustment. I found it difficult to invite a friend to play with me. I had to publish the game and then he had to search for it to join in. This is a good workaround until the invite system can be fixed (hopefully by official launch.)

if you are having trouble finding games, my advice would be to try 2 vs 2 and 3 vs 3 and see what happens. I found there was a decent population count despite the fact that not everyone has a code yet. The campaign remains as great as ever if you can't find folks to play online.

Overall, I'm extremely impressed. AND a bonus is that I now have this game on my laptop too. I prefer playing it on the Xbox1, but could come in handy when my kids steal the console from me.
Have we got any word if in fact they will be adding leaderboards, ranking and matchmaking? I have a weird feeling that this will never come because of them stating how they made a new on-line way to play and the wording around that would of been different if in fact that leaderboards, ranking and matchmaking would be coming they would of said "Here are all the new on-line ways to play and legacy on-line modes will be coming soon". I am going to remain hopeful, but not feeling good about this.

Game on the other hand does look a lot better and has been pretty smooth. Only time for me that it seem sluggish is that when I took a second base on Blood Gulch and I was moving the cursor over the second base it seemed to chug a bit, not a lot but definitely noticeable. Visually, when going between the DE and the original you can really see the differences. I also played it at 4k on my PC and boy is it super clean and it is smoother, which leads me to believe that the Xbox One version seems to be around 60, but not entirely smooth 60, while the PC even at 4k is smooth as butter.

Overall, good job on the game so far, let's hope the "Rea online modes" return.
Seeing as they are only responding to the praise they get but ignoring this it justifies my refund.

I pre ordered ultimate edition once I heard about Halo Wars DE, I did not pre order to be scammed or for "Halo Wars the Custom Games Edition" I will repurchase as soon as 343 fix this, if not standard version of HW2 only after seeing reviews no more being misled had enough of it.

Getting stressed over a video game getting old now have few games which made me happy like Halo Wars did and they had to gut it and ruin it, thanks for ruining my Christmas 343 do the decent thing admit stripping out beloved features was wrong and reinstate them for official launch.
Seeing as they are only responding to the praise they get but ignoring this it justifies my refund.

I pre ordered ultimate edition once I heard about Halo Wars DE, I did not pre order to be scammed or for "Halo Wars the Custom Games Edition" I will repurchase as soon as 343 fix this, if not standard version of HW2 only after seeing reviews no more being misled had enough of it.

Getting stressed over a video game getting old now have few games which made me happy like Halo Wars did and they had to gut it and ruin it, thanks for ruining my Christmas 343 do the decent thing admit stripping out beloved features was wrong and reinstate them for official launch.
I completely agree with you, I don't advise anyone to pre order the game and to cancel their pre orders. They're ripping us off and ruining a fan favorite game. They just want to force us to buy and play halo wars 2.
I am content with Halowars:DE.
Framerate is very stable and localization is perfect.
If it's possible, I want save Replays and skillmatch system.
One of the issues I've found is on Windows 10, if you start the game with a keyboard/mouse you can't just pick up a controller and use that instead or vice versa.

Not only that but it doesn't seem like you can even change the control method in the options menu, it requires a restart of the game to switch input device.

I've found the game runs surprisingly well on my Surface Pro 3, it doesn't work with touch controls very well but that's probably asking too much :P
EDDS wrote:
One of the issues I've found is on Windows 10, if you start the game with a keyboard/mouse you can't just pick up a controller and use that instead or vice versa.

Not only that but it doesn't seem like you can even change the control method in the options menu, it requires a restart of the game to switch input device.

I've found the game runs surprisingly well on my Surface Pro 3, it doesn't work with touch controls very well but that's probably asking too much :P
This is something I can live with, but nice detail if they would fix that! I just want ranks to return, even just based on amount of wins, give me something rewarding after winning the game like simple XP :P I can understand not having MM, as there wouldn't be enough people playing the game multiplayer once HW2 is released, would still be nice to have it though.
I know im posting this on the wrong place, but nobody is reading the support page, so maybe i can get some help here. Im having trouble with the game crashing all the time.

I am able to play skirmish vs AI for about 5 minutes, with best graphics and game is running smooth and everything looks great. But as soon as there is too much action on the screen at once the game crashes without a warning. Also playing first campaign mission crashes after 20 seconds of gameplay. I have tried reducing quality to minimum but it has no effect whatsoever. It still crashes when theres too much action.Error message that i get:

FATAL ERROR
Connection between Graphics adapter was lost

CPU: i5-4690k
GPU: AMD radeon R9 270x
8GB RAM
I am able to play games like Battlefield 1 and Dying light on high graphics without problems but HW DE keeps crashing.
Any help?
Jussx wrote:
I know im posting this on the wrong place, but nobody is reading the support page, so maybe i can get some help here. Im having trouble with the game crashing all the time.

I am able to play skirmish vs AI for about 5 minutes, with best graphics and game is running smooth and everything looks great. But as soon as there is too much action on the screen at once the game crashes without a warning. Also playing first campaign mission crashes after 20 seconds of gameplay. I have tried reducing quality to minimum but it has no effect whatsoever. It still crashes when theres too much action.Error message that i get:

FATAL ERROR Connection between Graphics adapter was lostCPU: i5-4690k
GPU: AMD radeon R9 270x
8GB RAM
I am able to play games like Battlefield 1 and Dying light on high graphics without problems but HW DE keeps crashing.
Any help?
The obvious thing to do would be to check for a graphics driver update. Just browse the Radeon app for a bit, you'll find the check for update button. If you can't find it give it a google.
If that doesn't work, check for Windows update and if that doesn't work you may need to try uninstalling and reinstalling.
This is all pressuring you've already tried to restart the computer.

For future reference, please create a thread in Halo Wars: DE Support Section if you have any problems with the game. Edit: Lol sorry you already said and done that
I have done all that. Drivers are up to date, like my windows and I have reinstalled the game.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2