Forums / Games / Halo Wars Series

Halo Wars Honesty

OP Rebel xx Heart

Is it honestly worth playing through Halo Wars 1/2? I haven't played a RTS game in a very long time and I'm just wondering if they would be worth playing
I haven’t actually got the game yet, but my friends told me it’s really good, you should definitely consider playing it.
Well, as a RTS the first one is really simple (rock, paper, scissors basics and such). The cutscenes were ahead of their time but now those are graphically better than many games have but nothing as special. The gameplay graphics are plasticky (at least with the units the battle areas look better in comparison.) And some things might seem a bit off like marine models having quite large shoulder pads and elites being rather top heavy in cutscenes. There are quite few units that havent been it other Halo games but they mostly fit on the settings.
So if you like both Halo universe (at least the oldschool, since cutscene troops ((mostly)) seem to have been inspired by Halo 2 models) and you also like RTS games then i guess you would be atleast fine with Halo Wars. And atleast I liked Halo Wars even though, at least at the time when I got Halo Wars, I havent been that much into RTS games.

It really has more value as a Halo game than as a RTS game, so if you are looking a RTS game with great gameplay mechanics then i think Halo Wars is not for you but if you are looking for a Halo game with not that much ties into other Halo games and want to see a more boots on the ground action/story (atleast mostly) where the covenants technological advantage shows then you could go for it. Its a Halo game before the time of flashy apparently never dirtying SPARTAN armors so there is also that.

Now this was about the Halo Wars on the xbox 360 (havent played the definitive edition so cant say if there is much difference on that like glitches, improvements or such). Also cant say much about HW2 since i havent been playing it that much.

And here is a trailer that once got me waiting for Halo Wars. It also plays on the main menu background for those who havent noticed, just shame that its without a voice (there is some music) in the background. Incase you need a sample of what the cutscenes look graphically and aesthetically without spoiling the in-game cutscenes.
I've never played the games but I've heard good things from the people that play them. I love halo but I'm just a FPS kind of guy Halo Wars just isn't my cup of tea.
I really enjoyed both of them and I'm not even into RTS in general, just tried them because they're they're. Keep in mind though, these are console RTS's, not PC, so you're not gonna get an experience on par with a PC RTS, at least not as in depth.
If there is a demo/trial I would recommend trying it out.
If you're coming for the campaign I'd say purchase them of they're on sale. The story isn't bad but it also isn't worth the full price tag imo.

If you're planning on playing some multiplayer though I'd highly recommend it. The units are basic enough that you can get the hang of it easy, then the many leaders provide a lot of strategic depth if that's what you're interested in.
Go watch some gameplay on Youtube. That's the easiest way to decide for any game, really.
Now HW2 has enough players on multiplay gamemode.
You can find a match in 30 secs every day.
If you're coming for the campaign I'd say purchase them of they're on sale. The story isn't bad but it also isn't worth the full price tag imo.

If you're planning on playing some multiplayer though I'd highly recommend it. The units are basic enough that you can get the hang of it easy, then the many leaders provide a lot of strategic depth if that's what you're interested in.
Purchasing them is a non issue. I have Games Pass and they are both included
It's worth it.

Purchasing them is a non issue. I have Games Pass and they are both included
If that's the case then go for it! I think they're a blast. My most played game of 2017 was HW2
The story for HW1 was amazing, and the gameplay in 2 is fantastic. So maybe wait until the ultimate edition is on sale and grab it.
If you like to control armies and use tactics to capture parts of the map, then it’s the game for you. I suggest watching walkthroughs on youtube and reading reviews on amazon. From my personal experience, it’s fun but time passes a lot quicker than if you are playing the FPS titles. The campaign for HW2 is fun and acts as a tutorial for not just the single player but also the multiplayer.
Halo wars 2 is on game pass, not sure about the first game. Get a month of game pass for £8 and give it a try

I would say the story is good for a Halo game.