Forums / Games / Halo Wars Series

Hardcore Deathmatch

OP Darkest Inferno

Hello. For some time now, I've been messing around with the custom game options in an attempt to make halo wars 2 more competitive, limit cheesing and require less room for error, generally a "hardcore" mode. I've stumbled upon making the starting Power 0, and turning the Leader Powers off.

By doing so, I'm certain that these settings make the gameplay focus more on unit micro, position and composition, as you have to rely on your ability to use your army, instead of using Leader Powers to compensate. With 0 Power at the start, the early game is more demanding of you to be active. Power/supply crates and Power Nodes become more valuable, as you won't be able to upgrade pads at the start. You also have to manage your economy better.

Unupgraded pads are surprisingly not too bad; a generator is enough to single pump rush units. Two power nodes with a unupgraded gen is equivalent to an upgraded gen, and so on.

Give it a shot and try it out! Starting supply: 600. Starting Power: 0. Leader Powers: OFF.
Hello. For some time now, I've been messing around with the custom game options in an attempt to make halo wars 2 more competitive, limit cheesing and require less room for error, generally a "hardcore" mode. I've stumbled upon making the starting Power 0, and turning the Leader Powers off.

By doing so, I'm certain that these settings make the gameplay focus more on unit micro, position and composition, as you have to rely on your ability to use your army, instead of using Leader Powers to compensate. With 0 Power at the start, the early game is more demanding of you to be active. Power/supply crates and Power Nodes become more valuable, as you won't be able to upgrade pads at the start. You also have to manage your economy better.

Unupgraded pads are surprisingly not too bad; a generator is enough to single pump rush units. Two power nodes with a unupgraded gen is equivalent to an upgraded gen, and so on.

Give it a shot and try it out! Starting supply: 600. Starting Power: 0. Leader Powers: OFF.
Micro is a issue. If you turn off Leader Powers, the gaje actually has a delay. Quite a problem really. Still, i'm up with customs if you ever are.
That's intense. Never played with powers off.
Will that make some leaders unplayable? Like those that purchase their unique units from the LP wheel?
What is a Pavium without his Mega Turrets and Invader Wraiths?
Or a cutter without his ODSTs?
Jerome without Omega Team?
Hmm, take away powers, and there's now only like 4 unique leaders outside of differing heroes.
Will that make some leaders unplayable? Like those that purchase their unique units from the LP wheel?
Hmm, take away powers, and there's now only like 4 unique leaders outside of differing heroes.
It is actually good and perfered vordi the best for this new mode because you litterally build 4 suppliy pads and can easily counter anything early game.
It is actually good and perfered vordi the best for this new mode because you litterally build 4 suppliy pads and can easily counter anything early game.
Really? Voridus' whole kit is based around spreading goo. Take away his powers and you take away 80% of his utility. How is he the best here? Surely Decimus' warlord which his hero is cloned off of would be better?
Really? Voridus' whole kit is based around spreading goo. Take away his powers and you take away 80% of his utility. How is he the best here? Surely Decimus' warlord which his hero is cloned off of would be better?
You can build Murauders early game and they are great vs anything not scouts. In normal game modes, they are bad because they cost soo much supplies without any power to make them affordable.
I wouldn't even call this hardcore... Not even close. If you want a legit hardcore, super ultra mega competitive game mode, then you would turn Minibases count as HQs on. Each player has to self destruct their base and build a mini, And is only allowed to have minis for the rest of the game.