High Priority Balance Adjustments Preview

OP ske7ch

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 7
Following last week's DLC and game patch release we've heard loud and clear that there are balance concerns surrounding Serina and Forge (among other things). The CA and 343 teams are definitely aware and are working on some adjustments and bug fixes for the next game patch. We don't have a release date for that yet - it's very likely it will end up coinciding with the YapYap release later this month - but if we can find a way to do something sooner we definitely will.

To give you a sense of what the team has in mind, here are some balance adjustment preview notes I just received. Please note that this is all generally what's being planned for and targeted but as always, specifics are subject to potentially changing between now and what eventually gets released. Also, this doesn't represent the full scope of the next balance update/patch, these are just the highest priority changes that specifically address recent fan feedback.

Halo War 2 - High Priority Upcoming Balance Adjustments (Preview)

Forge’s Anvil Round
    • Fixed bug where air units caught in the splash zone would be damaged
    • Splash damage drops off much more rapidly, making it much less damaging against groups of units
Forge’s Anvil Round still does the same single-target damage, but the splash damage drops off much more quickly, greatly reduced the impact on groups of infantry for example. The splash damage was clearly too much and skewing lots of matchups, so we’ve adjusted this accordingly.
Reaver
    • Major weaponry bug fix (this was causing it to do 50%-60% of the intended DPS, and vastly less effective than intended)
    • Build time decreased from 20s -> 18s (more consistent with the Wolverine’s build time, relative to cost)
A bug was discovered with Reavers that greatly reduced their damage, causing incorrect interactions, such as their inability to beat Hornets (which is clearly not intended). This is now fixed, so Reavers should be a valid anti-air unit.

Serina
Ice Barrier
    • No longer chills or freezes structures
This was a serious bug that was allowing Ice Barrier level 2 to shut down bases by chilling them, which was not the intention of the power and a major exploit.
Tundra Bison
    • Upgraded Cryo Mortar splash radius decreased by 33%
Cryo Blast
    • Reduced residual damage by 20% / 30% / 33%
    • Radius decreased by 13% / 8% / 6%
    • Cost 150, 220, 300 increased to 200, 300, 400
Seismic Charge
    • Shatter radius decreased by 25% / 23%
In the late game, the maxed-out Cryo Blast and Seismic Charge combo was very strong, and was allowing Serina too much dominance once she built up that combination of leader powers, and was making late game repetitive when playing against her. These changes increase the cost of Cryo Blast and slightly reduces the number of units it can freeze, but – more importantly – reduces the number of units you can shatter once they are frozen, meaning much more of your army is left alive even if the combo succeeds.
This needs to come fast. I apologize for seeming demanding, but this game isn't playable in its current state.
This needs to come fast. I apologize for seeming demanding, but this game isn't playable in its current state.
The team is definitely aware and wants to ship these changes ASAP but I'm uncertain what the realistic ETA is. I'll share more info as I get it.
ske7ch wrote:
The team is definitely aware and wants to ship these changes ASAP but I'm uncertain what the realistic ETA is. I'll share more info as I get it.
Thank you, I very much appreciated that you've kept us up to date!
YES YES YES YES YES YES
Appreciate that 343 is acknowledging the issue and are working to fix it. Here's to hoping it's sooner than Yapyap!!
Hey sketch could you help me with my stats they've changed again? or are you too busy and I'm screwed?
Thank you for the update, this is a highly needed patch.
Wait when will this happen?
All I have to say is thank you for being more on top of things like this, very much appreciated!
Wait when will this happen?
No ETA, but I hope it's soon and not the end of the month.
These sound very promising. Thanks for keeping us updated. I will cross my fingers that this happens soon.
Excellent! Thanks so much ske7ch!
Please dont nerf Serina's cryo and seismic blast! Those powers are perfect right now, any nerf to them would make them very ineffective. I mean cryo takes a long time to come back and it does around the same damage as the hunter brand! What's wrong with 2 leader powers used together doing as much damage as the hunter brand? Please please dont nerf!
I'm not convinced that the changes to cryo and seismic are needed just yet as the effectiveness of these powers seems to struggle against higher health units although it may be slightly too effective against CLUMPED infantry. The main thing that troubles me is that there really isn't a good way to kill the fridge on tech 1, and I feel maybe tweaking slightly the freeze rate of Tech 1 units would make it more possible to combat the fridge on tech 1 if you aren't playing a leader with a strong hero. For instance Isabel and Anders have spartans that would struggle to do anything to the fridge.
nuchey wrote:
Please dont nerf Serina's cryo and seismic blast! Those powers are perfect right now, any nerf to them would make them very ineffective. I mean cryo takes a long time to come back and it does around the same damage as the hunter brand! What's wrong with 2 leader powers used together doing as much damage as the hunter brand? Please please dont nerf!
A level three Hunter's Brand maybe, but I'm not even sure about that. It's like a mini Eradication.
nuchey wrote:
A level three Hunter's Brand maybe, but I'm not even sure about that. It's like a mini Eradication.
And whats wrong with that? We're talking about two leader powers here...
I wish they would just get rid of vehicle heros. It's always because of a vehicle hero that the balance gets messed up.

I don't mind if the hero can drive around but make it take the same damage as an on foot hero would. Right now Forge hog and the fridge hero are tanks and cannot be killed.
Can't wait for something to be done and thanks for letting everyone know! But if yap yap turns out to be broken I swear I'll... actually it would be funny watching the entire forum blow up about how they keep getting whooped by an overpowered grunt. :D
Can't wait for something to be done and thanks for letting everyone know! But if yap yap turns out to be broken I swear I'll... actually it would be funny watching the entire forum blow up about how they keep getting whooped by an overpowered grunt. :D
Low-key hoping for an OP Yapyap......

nuchey wrote:
nuchey wrote:
And whats wrong with that? We're talking about two leader powers here...
Late game I have no issue with it, your armies should be big enough it's no big deal. The issue is it's almost impossible to dodge and can be utilized in the mid-game. Besides, all that's being changed really is the radius of Shatter missile. No damage change.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 7