2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 5
evils wrote:
THEWALL766 wrote:
I've played this hog spam quite a bit with different leaders and from what I have seen, the only way to effectively rush someone that does a good quick tech is with goliaths or a suicidal amount of flamers (I'm talking going barracks 3rd and 4th and pumping in blind faith). The only counter as it stands right now is to fast tech yourself and either go AV or hogs your self. I disagree that a fast tech should be the only way to beat a fast tech.

Possible SolutionMove hunters and cyclopes to T1 and drop their power cost so that if you see someone quick teching, rush units backed by AV units could in theory shut them down.
Your proposed change would completely phase out scout units, which wouldn't be a fun time.

I feel there's many other ways of fixing this that don't include making scouts even more irrelevant.

Some examples could be:

-slowing down the T2 base upgrade
-increasing Hog build time
-decreasing power generated from first Gen (for first few minutes, or something)
-decreasing power collected from map resources

There's plenty of ways to remedy this, those are just a select few ideas.

AV, well, infantry as a whole, is in a pretty bad spot currently, and needs some work. However, I don't feel making AV T1 is the proper response.

In theory, rush > quick tech > defensive T1 > rush, but currently quick tech Hogs seem to beat just about everything. Appart from a few units and strats... that aren't available to all leaders.

My two cents, at least.
Fully agreed, ever since people figured out that you can do your fastest and most economic fast tech with just 1 gen, it has been pretty much unstoppable, bar super all in, blind rushes.
I'd really like to see the tech 2 upgrade taking longer, power crate gathering slowed down, gen upgrades taking longer and hog build time increasing by ~2 seconds. Also, AV needs to take less damage from hogs/marauders.
evils wrote:
THEWALL766 wrote:
I've played this hog spam quite a bit with different leaders and from what I have seen, the only way to effectively rush someone that does a good quick tech is with goliaths or a suicidal amount of flamers (I'm talking going barracks 3rd and 4th and pumping in blind faith). The only counter as it stands right now is to fast tech yourself and either go AV or hogs your self. I disagree that a fast tech should be the only way to beat a fast tech.

Possible SolutionMove hunters and cyclopes to T1 and drop their power cost so that if you see someone quick teching, rush units backed by AV units could in theory shut them down.
Your proposed change would completely phase out scout units, which wouldn't be a fun time.

I feel there's many other ways of fixing this that don't include making scouts even more irrelevant.

Some examples could be:

-decreasing power generated from first Gen (for first few minutes, or something)

AV, well, infantry as a whole, is in a pretty bad spot currently, and needs some work. However, I don't feel making AV T1 is the proper response.

In theory, rush > quick tech > defensive T1 > rush, but currently quick tech Hogs seem to beat just about everything. Appart from a few units and strats... that aren't available to all leaders.

My two cents, at least.
Fully agreed, ever since people figured out that you can do your fastest and most economic fast tech with just 1 gen, it has been pretty much unstoppable, bar super all in, blind rushes.
I'd really like to see the tech 2 upgrade taking longer, power crate gathering slowed down, gen upgrades taking longer and hog build time increasing by ~2 seconds. Also, AV needs to take less damage from hogs/marauders.
Yup I agree with all your changes. The biggest problem with hogs is just how quickly they can be spammed. I don't want AV to get overly buffed against T2 vehicles, but a slight power reduction and increased armor vs T2 vehicles should do the trick. Along with making it take longer to reach tech 2 and pump hogs it should be good.
evils wrote:
THEWALL766 wrote:

Some examples could be:

My two cents, at least.
Yup I agree with all your changes. The biggest problem with hogs is just how quickly they can be spammed. I don't want AV to get overly buffed against T2 vehicles, but a slight power reduction and increased armor vs T2 vehicles should do the trick. Along with making it take longer to reach tech 2 and pump hogs it should be good.
Do we really need AV cost changes? How would that impact the AV vs T3 vehicles balance in your opinion?
evils wrote:
THEWALL766 wrote:
I
what if they just buffed grenade throw currently its underwhelming and doesn't do any damage. maybe reduce the time it takes to build rabbits and marines. make rabbits 20 seconds to build and reduce marines by 2 seconds.
I don't agree with slowing down power so I think the only way to nerf quick tech is to force everyone to build early game units and if you don't build early units you lose and to do that you gotta buff some things.
evils wrote:
THEWALL766 wrote:

Some examples could be:

My two cents, at least.
Do we really need AV cost changes? How would that impact the AV vs T3 vehicles balance in your opinion?
I feel like we need to improve T3 vehicles to make them more cost effective. I don't really see a point in building them when T2 vehicles tend to just be more cost effective. But that is off topic.

Personally I don't think we should decrease the cost in AV. Perhaps decreasing their build time would be better.
evils wrote:
THEWALL766 wrote:

Some examples could be:

My two cents, at least.
I feel like we need to improve T3 vehicles to make them more cost effective. I don't really see a point in building them when T2 vehicles tend to just be more cost effective. But that is off topic.

Personally I don't think we should decrease the cost in AV. Perhaps decreasing their build time would be better.
i want a reason the build wraiths instead of marauders
evils wrote:
THEWALL766 wrote:

Some examples could be:

My two cents, at least.
I think the power cost of AV also impacts how quickly they can be spammed early in tech 2. I'm pretty sure cyclops are currently 170/150. A switch to 180/140 shouldn't have too much of an effect on late game interactions with T3 vehicles but it would ease the burden a bit in the mid game transition. What do you think?

Edit: Breezy's idea of reducing build time could help with this too. I'd be open to that.
evils wrote:
THEWALL766 wrote:

Some examples could be:

My two cents, at least.
I think the power cost of AV also impacts how quickly they can be spammed early in tech 2. I'm pretty sure cyclops are currently 170/150. A switch to 180/140 shouldn't have too much of an effect on late game interactions with T3 vehicles but it would ease the burden a bit in the mid game transition. What do you think?

Edit: Breezy's idea of reducing build time could help with this too. I'd be open to that.
Yup, so not straight up cheaper. Should be fine.
Changing the build time or cost of AV is nice, but IT DOES NOT HELP with the interaction against hogs. It just makes them less of a waste to build.

The big issue with hogs vs AV is how they trade and the huge mobility advantage that hogs have over AV. One of theses needs fixed or a slight buff to both. Either make cyclops slightly faster or increase their range or buff Cyclops damage so you are not forced to over commit to them.

This is how I would fix this. First buff damage of AV vs hogs a bit and give them a sprint ability to help catch hogs. Then
Tanks > Hogs (1 Tanks > 3-4 hogs... is this already how it is?)
Cyclops > Tanks but trade less favorably with Hogs (1.5 AV > 1 tank (not using scattershot or scorch round), 1 AV > 1.5 hogs)
Scouts (with new tier 2 upgrade) > Cyclops (2.5 scouts > 1 AV)
Tanks and Hogs > Scouts (1 tank > 6.5 scouts and 1 hog > 3 scouts)

So just working with UNSC units and assume cyclops (c) = 4 pop, tanks (t) = 7 pop, scout (s) = 2 pop, hog (h) = 3 pop...
  • 6c (24 pop) > 4t (28 pop)
  • 6c (24 pop) > 9h (27 pop)
  • 6c (24 pop) < 15s (30 pop)
  • 4t (28 pop) > 26s (52 pop)
  • 9h (27 pop) > 27s (54 pop)
These values could be tweaked. Adding banished units would make things slightly more complicated but its still doable. Ultimately, I think scouts should play a larger role (give them a tier 2 upgrade). We have a unit that is already in the game so why not make it work for us and use it help balance certain interactions. We should strive for a game that rewards diverse unit compositions and strategy and not reward those who can spam the same unit better than others.

(As a small clarification, unit spam is fine as long as it is only effective at certain phases in the game and not effective in 90% of the game)
I have had opponents try this strat on me..

All you have to do is build marines(w/nades)+ whatever hero. easily stopped.
I think we need to have a custom match here DC Longshot
A person that does a fast tech 2 correctly, marines and a hero won't be enough. I do believe the way to slow it down is to fight for power on the map and attack with flamers and marines very aggressively and early enough. But I still need to do some testing with squidward to see.
My bad. Havent been on xbox in a while. Ill def. Be on tomorrow morning and all this weekend
I have had opponents try this strat on me..

All you have to do is build marines(w/nades)+ whatever hero. easily stopped.
I think we need to have a custom match here DC Longshot
A person that does a fast tech 2 correctly, marines and a hero won't be enough. I do believe the way to slow it down is to fight for power on the map and attack with flamers and marines very aggressively and early enough. But I still need to do some testing with squidward to see.
My bad. Havent been on xbox in a while. Ill def. Be on tomorrow morning and all this weekend
kk, yes I am curious even though I think you are right, I want to test it thoroughly and post the results here. In theory, a great tier 1 rush should beat a tech 2 rush.
What are you people doing or not doing that is giving you so much trouble with warthogs? Is it really the game that needs changing? Or is it your strategy?

I've had matches where I was able to roll over my opponents with hogs. But it was usually because they didn't attack my base and they didn't bother to obtain any of the power stacks scattered throughout the map. Rather than bolster defenses at their main bases, they spent their time and resources trying to stop me from attacking their newly constructed base.

If you spend most of your time in this game on the defense, you're going to have a difficult time.
Ol Skool85 wrote:
What are you people doing or not doing that is giving you so much trouble with warthogs? Is it really the game that needs changing? Or is it your strategy?

I've had matches where I was able to roll over my opponents with hogs. But it was usually because they didn't attack my base and they didn't bother to obtain any of the power stacks scattered throughout the map. Rather than bolster defenses at their main bases, they spent their time and resources trying to stop me from attacking their newly constructed base.

If you spend most of your time in this game on the defense, you're going to have a difficult time.
The issue is if you have someone quick tech to hogs you are at a ridiculous disadvantage. The have a faster and more powerful army before you can get out AV.

It's not ridiculously overpowered, but it is unfair.
Ol Skool85 wrote:

The issue is if you have someone quick tech to hogs you are at a ridiculous disadvantage. The have a faster and more powerful army before you can get out AV.

Ol Skool85 wrote:

Unfair how?

If someone hits T2 before you, is that their fault or yours?

Sure, it'd be nice to see Cyclops get a little buff. But if you're leaving your opponent alone, can you really fault them for hitting you with an attack that leaves you in a difficult position?

One thing I've learned with this game, if you leave your opponent alone, you're going to be in for a hard time.

The past few matches I've had where I was very successful had 1 thing in common, every opponent spent their time not paying attention to me.
200 Supply Warthogs
18 second build Time
Triple Pump them

6 Warthogs before 5 minutes
Max Population by 7 minutes while clensing the entire map.

I dont know about you but this new meta seems a bit unfair. (Not as bad as Colony) but having tech 2 at 2:50minute mark without any type of economy punishment seems to be too much. Which is why u see alot of people using it.

Any ideas to nerf the strat.
Mainly from Isabel (Forge & Anders are victims of it too)
Yeah it is really bad I think the best way to fix this is to buff the anti vehicle units because they get slaughtered by the hogs, once they have more hp I think fast hog rushes won't be such a huge threat. Atm it's just hard to efficiently counter full vehicle armies especially if you are banished
Ol Skool85 wrote:
Ol Skool85 wrote:

Unfair how?

Sure, it'd be nice to see Cyclops get a little buff. But if you're leaving your opponent alone, can you really fault them for hitting you with an attack that leaves you in a difficult position?

One thing I've learned with this game, if you leave your opponent alone, you're going to be in for a hard time.

The past few matches I've had where I was very successful had 1 thing in common, every opponent spent their time not paying attention to me.
When you're getting hit with 6-8 hogs at the 4:00 minute mark you don't have time to get enough AV to have a real good chance to fight it off.

That isn't an issue where you're not paying attention to your opponent, it's an issue where you can't pump out units that can actually fight them fast enough.
Ol Skool85 wrote:
Ol Skool85 wrote:

Unfair how?

When you're getting hit with 6-8 hogs at the 4:00 minute mark you don't have time to get enough AV to have a real good chance to fight it off.

That isn't an issue where you're not paying attention to your opponent, it's an issue where you can't pump out units that can actually fight them fast enough.
So what is your strategy to prevent your opponent from getting 6 - 8 hogs by 4mns?

If you scout his base and see generators, send units to attack them.

If you see garages, send units to attack them.

It seems as if you're trying to have the devs pick up your slack.
Ol Skool85 wrote:
Ol Skool85 wrote:
Ol Skool85 wrote:

Unfair how?

So what is your strategy to prevent your opponent from getting 6 - 8 hogs by 4mns?

Trust me my friend, I know how this game works. I'm not asking any devs to pick up any slack. But I encourage you to play a game against DC Longshot and see if rushing would resolve this hog issue.
Ol Skool85 wrote:
Ol Skool85 wrote:
Ol Skool85 wrote:

Unfair how?

Hi there. I've been playing with Isabel for a little while now, and while doing so I've found great success with quick teching hogs. If you want to see first hand what the issue is, I can gladly play a custom with you. You'll even have the advantage of knowing I'm going to rush hogs. Without the use of broken mechanics like the Colony glitch or Voridus, it's currently fairly difficult to stop. I added you on Xbox. Hit me up when you're free.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 5