Forums / Games / Halo Wars Series

How do you choose your leader?

OP DoctorHootCakes

So im trying to get better at HW2 and everyone has linked me to L1am Wh1tes guide which is good but im not really getting it. So im thinking i just need alot more play time before it starts to make sense but im having a really hard time trying to figure out which leaders to play. So what do you guys do when youre choosing your leader? Do you have a main that you just stick with? Do you just choose whos top teir? What do you do?
So im trying to get better at HW2 and everyone has linked me to L1am Wh1tes guide which is good but im not really getting it. So im thinking i just need alot more play time before it starts to make sense but im having a really hard time trying to figure out which leaders to play. So what do you guys do when youre choosing your leader? Do you have a main that you just stick with? Do you just choose whos top teir? What do you do?
I just random all bro cuz it's more fun that way. YOLO
If the daily challenges feature a leader I like to use, I'll do that. Afterwards, random all the way. Fingers crossed I don't get one I suck with.
If Liam’s guide isn’t helping you decide a leader I’ll give you two options tell me specifically what your looking for in a leader or just play decimus he’s new player friendly
Personally, I just choose who fits my favorite playstyle/who's LPs I like the most. How do you prefer to play? Turtle up and roll out with a tech'ed up army? Rapid movement? Infantry or vehicle focused?
I just said no to anders.
All depends on what you want. I like Colony for slow moving, tanky armies.
Anders for turtling.
Jerome or Cutter for quick rushes, or spread out strikes (Omega in itself is an army.)
There are many ways to choose a leader.
  • Appearance - If you like how they look (Best usually for casual play)
  • Synergy - If the leader's playstyle matches your own (Best for long term matchmaking sessions)
  • Leader Tier list - If you want to play the most overpowered leader possible (Best for climbing the leaderboard)
  • Leader Counter picks - If you want to choose a leader specifically to counter your opponent (Best for custom games/tournaments or competitive)
Understanding how each leader works first is essential before deciding for competitive matches or to have a 'main' leader that you play. As well there are factors to help narrow down which faction to start with when first starting out. If you ever need any help in-game let me know!

GT: BtC Hosticide

FACTIONS IN TECH 1:
  • UNSC - requires a lot of positioning with units due to the lack of mobility that the banished have with teleports and unit speeds. More defensive and precise.
  • Banished - requires a lot more micro with units to utilize mobility and the abilities of the units. More agile and overall utility.
I hope that helps you get started!
Halo wars 2, I am deciding on buying the game. Does anyone have any thoughts.