Forums / Games / Halo Wars 2

How hard are RTS games?

OP Shout of Gaia

Lame question, I know. But part of the reason I avoided halo wars 1 (apart from being a 10 year old who thought any game besides a shooter was lame) was because I was intimidated by the RTS play style it was so radically different from any game type. I would like to play it too, because I really like how the story seems to be shaping up and how much it could impact in halo 6. But, I'm also tempted to just watch it on youtube. So, should I buy it, being a complete newbie to RTS?
Play through the campaign. It's the best and easiest way to learn how to play an RTS, and that specific game's style of play in particular.

RTS campaigns generally ease you into the experience and teach you the basics during the early missions and then grow your basic skills as the missions progress.
I was going to reply to this earlier but the forums were bugging out.

Playing a RTS is different then playing alot of other games it relies more on your mental skill then your reflexes but having both obviously helps.

But with practice and playing the campaign like stated prior you will learn the basic skills of RTS gameplay.
Just get hw1 and play threw the campaign and do a couple skirmishes with the bots to get a feel for the game. It's dirt cheap now anyway. Granted hw2 is changing up the formula quite a bit you can atleast get understand the basics
not hard at all, or atleast no more then any other kind of game
Halo wars 2 is a fairly simple game, just as is its predecessor. It will be an odd shift from the fps playstyle, but as your "first" rts, it shouldn't be too hard as long as you do the campaign/some skirmishes. Don't jump right to the big titles of rts though, those will be hard (but they're on pc and not xbox so don't worry about it)
RTS is easy to get into, but hard to get good at. If you're planning on only playing the campaign and casually playing MP, you're not going to get as much bang for your buck as someone who is going to sit down and play the multiplayer competitively. Still, if you want to get the game, you can. However, I would recommend actually dedicating yourself to some aspect of the game that is more long lasting than the campaign (Ex: Multiplayer).
well RTS are probably the games with the largest learning curve. every RTS is different where you need to be flexible and memorise everything and a lot of awareness, play the campaign and you'll be fine though.
not hard, just a different game style that you have to get used to, like others. Admittedly the "skill gap" is extremely large in some RTS games and it can take longer than normal to git guud, but Halo Wars is very simple compared to other RTS
Halo wars is pretty simplified compared to true RTS games. It's fairly easy for beginners to grasp.
You have to focus on many things at once if you want to be good at it.
If you're looking just to play the campaign get it and play it slowly. If you want to be good at it you have to be able to multi-task and learn the game well to be able to speed through things.
CRISTIAMUZ wrote:
If you're looking just to play the campaign get it and play it slowly. If you want to be good at it you have to be able to multi-task and learn the game well to be able to speed through things.
yeah agrred, also how did you get your icon like that?
CRISTIAMUZ wrote:
I don't know, its some sort of waypoint glitch or something.
CRISTIAMUZ wrote:
CRISTIAMUZ wrote:
I don't know, its some sort of waypoint glitch or something.
well the glitch makes your spartan look awesome.
Oh wow, just finished halo wars game, I can honestly say, thats the best game I have ever played. This rts game is osom, incredible, interesting. I like the atmosphere, characters, reality. I just can't express my feelings... I really like one of the gamer position about this game, you could found it here: http://www.gamespedition.com/pc-games/strategy-games/real-time-strategy-rts-games
When I was 12 RTS was the only genre I wanted to play!