Forums / Games / Halo Wars Series

How many of you actually try to gain veterancy?

OP AssassinT28

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
Not like Unit drops, not like Field Promotion or any of that drop crap like legit Micro try to keep your units alive?

For example I didn't realize the Spartan units Veterancy can actually go over 3 in a vehicle. That's a pretty good call back to Halo Wars 1. Which reminds me what is the highest level in the game it can't clearly be 3 anymore?

Final question what is your favorite veteran unit. Mine had to be getting a 2 star Colossus. No seriously try leveling that thing up and you see why I'm so proud.
the only unit i actually try to keep alive is my hero
other than that all units a expendable and veterancy 1 does very little

did a test with jeromes field upgrade ability. t1 sniper vs a t1 veterancy sniper. the veterancy 1 sniper had about 15% more health and like 20% more damage. took 2 shots to kill a non.veteran sniper.

if theae buffs are it then veterancy is pointless, because everything is countered so easily.
I wouldn't really use Snipers one Honor Guard kills them in one swing. I did notice a Spartan tank barely takes damage with a glassing beam.
Big vehicles like Vultures or Wraiths I will try to keep alive and gain some veterancy. You do not usually have that many of them and they are not too difficult to keep an eye on. Blisterback and Kodiaks can get good veterancy in AI games XD.

But yes the hero is the main focus for acquiring veterancy it's a fun challenge to see how much you can get on your hero in a match (not much usually!) Really wish there was a UI option to have your hero's health and shields displayed at all times so you know if they are in trouble I have lost too many over zealous melee heroes while i'm off doing something else!
if its not a hero or a super unit they can die. their deaths will not be in vain
Personally I try to keep my units (especially veterans) alive for as long as possible. Single veteran units might not make that much of change but when grouped together there's a noticeable change in the overall damage output.
defintely try to let your leaders and super units gain veterancy. Other than that -Yoink- dies too easily to reliably get any veterancy.
The original spartans get vet much easier when in vehicle. Enemy is always attacking them with every thing and that causes you need to retreat your spartan from combat, so you don't get any xp for him/her. Bunker drop can save lifes thou... ;)
Cutters battle hardened is good but compare that to Jerome's instant vet1 it's not that good anymore.
In my opinion it was much easier to gain veterancy in HW1. But I'm just a sucker for the stars and try to level up any and all units and keep them alive.
Not like Unit drops, not like Field Promotion or any of that drop crap like legit Micro try to keep your units alive?

For example I didn't realize the Spartan units Veterancy can actually go over 3 in a vehicle. That's a pretty good call back to Halo Wars 1. Which reminds me what is the highest level in the game it can't clearly be 3 anymore?

Final question what is your favorite veteran unit. Mine had to be getting a 2 star Colossus. No seriously try leveling that thing up and you see why I'm so proud.
i keep my units alive from start to finish. if my units die i feel guilty and like im losing the war. so like... even suicide grunts i'll only explode 2/3'rds of the unit and then heal them with engineers if i can. it's hard to do so i rarely ever build suicide grunts or throwaway units. the less you lose in a fight the more you win. of course eradication and such things are a bit too common to go an entire game without losing 20 or so units. i just make sure that if i lose a unit that it definitely was worth it.

i've had veterancy 3 marines before. the more hp and damage a unit has the more the veterancy is worth getting, but everything benefits from it to some extent. marines for example seem to heal quicker (though there is a healing bug that can happen)

my guess is that veterancy is unlimited just like how it is unlimited in blitz, but since you have to earn it by killing units games probably never last long enough to earn it.

it's amusing because i'll be sitting at my base just scouting and fortifying in a 3v3 and the rest of my team is groaning because im "not doing anything" when in reality my army has already been built and im just stacking veterancy where i can without over committing myself.

while it's true that the bigger army usually wins it's also true that if you run your army around in a huge group that your opponents can just 1shot them with their ultimate. i tend to build a few of each unit and set them up into 4 squads so that i can deal with situations as needed. backbone units will be my armies core and then i'll have anti ___ and anti ___ to cover a retreat.

6 or so marines + a scorpion here. 2-3 cobras with nightingales and 1 or 2 wolverines there. a sniper in the garrison near my base. etc. much much easier to cycle between things when you dont have to deal with 50 or 60 different units.

I gotta 3 star honor guard in hw1 once. ......I was so proud
I wouldn't really use Snipers one Honor Guard kills them in one swing. I did notice a Spartan tank barely takes damage with a glassing beam.
To be fair, the glassing beam is pretty weak in most cases out of 10. Only the level 3 beam does good damage, but often it is too slow and units escape it.
One the topic though, Super Units are great to try and Vet-up. It makes them a priority for the enemy to take down so you can just distract them with it and plus, at Vet 3 they are beasts. At launch I got a Scarab Vet-3 facing a team of 3 in a 2v3 and honestly, the enemy would send in a vehicle army and I'ld walk on it, do a 360 and by the full rotation their army had died.
Cannot do that, not worth it. Units take way too long to get to vet 2. Even with Combat Hardened. We don't even exactly know what are the veterancy buffs.
Hunters, Cyclops and Hellbringers seem to become DPS sponges with veterancy. Colony, Cutter, Shipmaster and Kinsano can drop them.
Uber units are crap.
Vet Tanks, I couldn't see the difference. And the only vet Tanks I see come from drops.
Chosen, Johnson, Hunter Captain, Douglas become beast at vet 3. But gotta have them very early on. We often see Jerome openers and it looks like it takes forever for him and his Mantis to get any vet.

Just don't count on it. Drops is how you get vets. I'm not a fan of how DPS and EXP work in this game.

And btw. Vet 3 is the max level in deathmatch ...
Heroes are the only units I try to vet all other just don't last long enough to do so. I did manage to get a condor to vet 3 but that was with cutters vet ability maxed out and it still took 30mins. All I can say however the results were something to be admired.
Big vehicles like Vultures or Wraiths I will try to keep alive and gain some veterancy. You do not usually have that many of them and they are not too difficult to keep an eye on. Blisterback and Kodiaks can get good veterancy in AI games XD.

But yes the hero is the main focus for acquiring veterancy it's a fun challenge to see how much you can get on your hero in a match (not much usually!) Really wish there was a UI option to have your hero's health and shields displayed at all times so you know if they are in trouble I have lost too many over zealous melee heroes while i'm off doing something else!
Actually, there is an option to display your units' current health at all times.
Or are you talking about a life bar on your screen like the Spartan Hog in The Signal?

Actually, there is an option to display your units' current health at all times.
Or are you talking about a life bar on your screen like the Spartan Hog in The Signal?
Yeah like the signal so no matter where I am I can see the health of my hero.

I always keep mine in a subgroup. So it's easy to locate him in the middle of a battle and also to check his sp/hp.
Only for my heroes do I use extreme Micro to gain that Veterancy. A 2 star Chosen can really mop the floor if protected.
ZuluKaneda wrote:
Cannot do that, not worth it. Units take way too long to get to vet 2. Even with Combat Hardened. We don't even exactly know what are the veterancy buffs.
Hunters, Cyclops and Hellbringers seem to become DPS sponges with veterancy. Colony, Cutter, Shipmaster and Kinsano can drop them.
Uber units are crap.
Vet Tanks, I couldn't see the difference. And the only vet Tanks I see come from drops.
Chosen, Johnson, Hunter Captain, Douglas become beast at vet 3. But gotta have them very early on. We often see Jerome openers and it looks like it takes forever for him and his Mantis to get any vet.

Just don't count on it. Drops is how you get vets. I'm not a fan of how DPS and EXP work in this game.

And btw. Vet 3 is the max level in deathmatch ...
Micro your units, not only is keeping them alive a good strat it saves money and power. You know expensive it is to constantly buy Wolverines, Hunters, Cyclops, Rangers, and Snipers?

Some units do not have drops and I beg to differ on Uber units being crap. Have you seen a Scarab with 1 or 2 stars. Those things are microed very well and really hurt armies.

Also I think it goes a little higher for Spartans even on Deathmatch.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2