Forums / Games / Halo Wars Series

How many wolverines for full pop hornets?

OP draycole

I'm at a loss, seems like anything short of having wolverines 1 to 1 isn't enough to take down full population hornets.

Even with a mix of maxed marines(about 15)and tier 3 wolverines (10) with micro they just got wiped

I feel like adding anymore than that is suicide as wolverines are only good(supposedly) against air
I would say 8 Wolves, 4-5 Nightingales, and the rest Hogs would be able to tango with that.

Try to keep your Hogs in front of your wolves. Have them act as a meat shield, for lack of a better term. To attack your AA, the Hornets will have to fly past the Hogs, buying your AA more time. Remember, Wolves are faster than Hornets, so you can kite them very easily.

Core infantry (Marines) are very good at fighting core air, but at that point in the game, it's usually better to just stick to Vehicles, as they are much faster than infantry.
I would say 8 Wolves, 4-5 Nightingales, and the rest Hogs would be able to tango with that.

Try to keep your Hogs in front of your wolves. Have them act as a meat shield, for lack of a better term. To attack your AA, the Hornets will have to fly past the Hogs, buying your AA more time. Remember, Wolves are faster than Hornets, so you can kite them very easily.

Core infantry (Marines) are very good at fighting core air, but at that point in the game, it's usually better to just stick to Vehicles, as they are much faster than infantry.
Semi off topic?
I recently played a match where 2 guys went Air and Condor and I only build about 6-8 Ravers to be on the field at a time and it worked just fine. Ill admit me going Voltiale Scarab probably made it way stronger for Reavers since any air unit shot by it couldn't get away..But I never knew Condor Strike was so good at sniping AA..

Semi off topic?
I recently played a match where 2 guys went Air and Condor and I only build about 6-8 Ravers to be on the field at a time and it worked just fine. Ill admit me going Voltiale Scarab probably made it way stronger for Reavers since any air unit shot by it couldn't get away..But I never knew Condor Strike was so good at sniping AA..
That's thing thing about AA, you never build just AA. You need something else to back it up; Hogs and 'Rauders are usually the best option because you'll already have the appointment buildings and upgrades. In your case, you used a Scarab, but the same principle applies.

If one is able to properly take advantage of a Condor's range, they're surprisingly strong. Hovering them over obstacles and staying in the the FOG can usually let the Condor beat AA, but it's very tricky to do. And as you said, the Y ability is solid.

I feel going for a Condor is better than going for mass air, el-oh-el.
If you let your opponent go full pop air you are going to lose. Simple.

Only way to counter full pop air is to go full pop air, and time drops.
I think marines with all the upgrades are more effective than wolverines.

The thing is that wolves make some damage and they are fast but they are weak, so you should make some of them (they require very little time to be built) just to mix them in the army and micro them. Also they detect camouflaged units and buildings and holos :)
Bauer8056 wrote:
I think marines with all the upgrades are more effective than wolverines.

The thing is that wolves make some damage and they are fast but they are weak, so you should make some of them (they require very little time to be built) just to mix them in the army and micro them. Also they detect camouflaged units and buildings and holos :)
AA is Definitely more effective then Infantry, even if infantry is fully upgraded, Because AA
(Just like any Hard Counter unit) has a damage multiplier, Unlike Soft Counters.
Remember, Wolves are faster than Hornets, so you can kite them very easily.
I always forget to do this... :(

<>~~~
^kite

Semi off topic?
yea it is dumb but even more dumb when Anders goes hogs and retriever mid game to just wipe your AA.
12 wolverines seems to work for me now when fighting a full army of hornets, but I make sure to also have vehicle level 3