Forums / Games / Halo Wars 2

How to counter cloaking?

OP xLEEx82x

Was playing a 1v1 last night against Shipmaster and he had his bases and units cloaked. I was playing as Cutter and was struggling to counter the cloak.

He was happy to sit back and defend a couple of bases and I had map control. However on a couple of occasions I lost all my units trying different things to counter him.

He was also using teleport to split my units and leave me exposed.

From what I could see, Cutter only has Nightingales and Wolverines that will detect cloaked enemies. So I sent them in slightly ahead of the rest of my units to do the uncloaking but they needed to be almost on top of the base to expose it and the cloaking generator was at the back. Those units were targeted by my opponent and once they were lost the base became cloaked again and I was defenseless.

I did eventually manage to see him off at the 80 minute mark by using two condors, two vultures, two hornets and my remaining population as nightingales.

What strategy would be best to counter cloaking? I haven't faced this all-out cloaked defence strategy previously and it got frustrating at times to say the least!
Every unit producing building can make a 'detector' unit.
  • Base - Jackrabbit (requires 2nd upgrade)
  • Barracks - Sniper
  • Garage - Wolverine
  • Airpad - Nightingale
Cloaked snipers can very easily sneak in behind a camo'd base, under the guise of their own camo, to detect the enemy base's cloaking structure if all else fails. You will rarely find an enemy with detectors behind their base like that unless you have given them reason to do so already. That aside, sending in the detectors first is not what you want to do. If you are assaulting a cloaked base or army, you want to treat your detectors as a priority. Make sure they live, and you have fodder in between them and your enemy up until you get within range to practically touch their base.

Units aside, a well placed MAC blast, carpet bomb, etc... can often take out a cloaking structure if the shields have been taken down by stray fire already. You only need to know where the device is to know where to aim, and even a glimpse from a detector unit can get you that. A side tip- Some units can use their 'Y' ability on the ground where you're currently pointing with either your controller or cursor. With that, you can make things like marines throw grenades in the general vicinity of a cloaking structure, while you lose out on the direct damage, the AOE damage from the explosion can still be applied.

Hope this helps! I mostly speak from the experience of being a Banished (Shipmaster) main, so I've seen most of these things used in action against me.
Cheers for the tips, shows my lack of experience! A cloaked sniper sounds a good idea.

I've played mostly Blitz to date but am enjoying getting in to 1v1 when time allows.

As Shipmaster, can you see that your own base is cloaked and is there anyway to know that the enemy has detected/uncloaked you?
xLEEx82x wrote:
Cheers for the tips, shows my lack of experience! A cloaked sniper sounds a good idea.

I've played mostly Blitz to date but am enjoying getting in to 1v1 when time allows.

As Shipmaster, can you see that your own base is cloaked and is there anyway to know that the enemy has detected/uncloaked you?
I know anything you own that's cloaked will have a colored-glow to them. (color depends on your player, eg: red, blue, etc...) and when detected they'll show up as normal. This "glow" kind of looks like an overshield from halo:CE and will apply to building, infantry, vehicles, & airforce. Also as another side-note, when playing with allies, you can borrow their cloaking abilities, such as putting your units into their cloaked base or shroud AoE. Hope this helps.
Best option is probably nightingales or engineers. Keep some in your army and you'll be fine. If they're really pushing a cloak game, put a watchtower on your base. I've had Shipmaster players cloak over a mass of locusts which took out my base in seconds, so you want to be on the lookout.

As far as the base, yea, try to get the cloak generator if you can. You'll just need a detector before attacking, but can hit anywhere once you've spotted it.
Against Shipmaster, it's necessary to always keep detectors around. Especially because his hero can get permanently cloaked.
xLEEx82x wrote:
Was playing a 1v1 last night against Shipmaster and he had his bases and units cloaked. I was playing as Cutter and was struggling to counter the cloak.

He was happy to sit back and defend a couple of bases and I had map control. However on a couple of occasions I lost all my units trying different things to counter him.

From what I could see, Cutter only has Nightingales and Wolverines that will detect cloaked enemies. So I sent them in slightly ahead of the rest of my units to do the uncloaking but they needed to be almost on top of the base to expose it and the cloaking generator was at the back. Those units were targeted by my opponent and once they were lost the base became cloaked again and I was defenseless.

I did eventually manage to see him off at the 80 minute mark by using two condors, two vultures, two hornets and my remaining population as nightingales.

What strategy would be best to counter cloaking? I haven't faced this all-out cloaked defence strategy previously and it got frustrating at times to say the least!
That is a major problem that detect doesn't reveal things unless they are on top of them. Incredibly annoying and kind of game breaking since detect units are pretty weak and get wrecked before they even get to the base most of the time.
this is honestly a huge problem that needs to be addressed detection range on watchtowers and all units needs to be increased significantly its rediculous that i have to put a nightengale on top of a base to detect it. considering theres turrets and a army ive never seen such a short detection radius in any rts
Don't just make one detector unit, if you have map control you can make one of each to be more diverse. Don't send them in first either, send them in between and keep them close to the base and moving. That's been successful for me.
this is honestly a huge problem that needs to be addressed detection range on watchtowers and all units needs to be increased significantly its rediculous that i have to put a nightengale on top of a base to detect it. considering theres turrets and a army ive never seen such a short detection radius in any rts
increasing the detection range would cripple cloak (which as it stand now is only good in limited situations). try using snipers, they detect from stupid far away, and have a cloak themselves.
Sendrax wrote:
increasing the detection range would cripple cloak (which as it stand now is only good in limited situations). try using snipers, they detect from stupid far away, and have a cloak themselves.
Arguably, one issue with cloaking is the fact that there are different ranges at which it works depending on the unit that is classified as a detector. That variable makes it that much harder to keep track of how close to have which units just to see the approaching / hiding enemy army. Having the range regulated based on the class of unit using it would make a lot more sense instead of the variable range we have now.
Just my two cents though.
Huge problem, 343 please balance it.
It is very hard and unbalanced when you attack a cloaked base with couple of long-range and antiair units in it, they can also use leader power for defending ,
xLEEx82x wrote:

The cutter meta is CT marines with nightingales and hero. I like 10 nightingales
You guys do realize this thread is almost a year old, right?

And detection units are getting a huge buff.
Easy ALWAYS keep support units nightingales or engineers on offense or defense
I used a combo of wolverines and grizzlies. Send in the detectors last and look for where the cloak device is. Reveal and take out, protect the detector units.
Nightingale and vultures. And not just 1 or 2 vultures either like everyone seems to do.

Many...MANY vultures for the pesky cloakers.
Nightingale and vultures. And not just 1 or 2 vultures either like everyone seems to do.

Vultures can’t detect cloaked units they are overall amazing

Vultures can’t detect cloaked units they are overall amazing
I said nightingales and vultures. Nightingale detect cloaked units.
Detect on all units in the upcoming patch is being matched to the LOS of the units at base. It will not increase beyond that, but detect units are getting a detect buff.