Forums / Games / Halo Wars Series

How to divide your army in HW2?

OP Geth Pathfinder

I can’t count how many times the Banished destroyed my army with leader powers in the campaign. This is a problem for me because I usually move my entire army as one. How should I divide it? By unit type, arbitrary circles(local units), or individual unit orders? It seems that “all units” and “local units” are the only quick way to select units. I know we can make up to four groups but that require constant updates because units are lost and new units are built. I wish ther was a way to set one of the four groups to be default for trained units.
This takes alot of practice to get good at and often referred as 'micro' which in multiplayer you will have to do constantly during battles and 'splitting' to avoid LP's such as beam. There are a few ways to do this.

You can preset the 4 control groups but everytime you train a new unit you have to keep setting it again so this isn't the ideal way.

Local units and All units is just for moving your whole army together you need to delve into using the A button more on xbox or the Left click and drag on a PC,

holding A will bring up an increasing circle which you use to select various units.

So the idea is you have your army and you see the LP telegraph appear, you have about 3 seconds to split. Hold A select 1/3 of your army and move it to 1 side select the other 1/3 do the same then the last 1/3 and run it the other direction. And carry on to split your army which is runnimg away to minimise damage from the LP (example Glassing beam).

you have to practice doing this quickly and you can regroup your army wants the LP ends.
L1am Wh1te wrote:
This takes alot of practice to get good at and often referred as 'micro' which in multiplayer you will have to do constantly during battles and 'splitting' to avoid LP's such as beam. There are a few ways to do this.

You can preset the 4 control groups but everytime you train a new unit you have to keep setting it again so this isn't the ideal way.

Local units and All units is just for moving your whole army together you need to delve into using the A button more on xbox or the Left click and drag on a PC,

holding A will bring up an increasing circle which you use to select various units.

So the idea is you have your army and you see the LP telegraph appear, you have about 3 seconds to split. Hold A select 1/3 of your army and move it to 1 side select the other 1/3 do the same then the last 1/3 and run it the other direction. And carry on to split your army which is runnimg away to minimise damage from the LP (example Glassing beam).

you have to practice doing this quickly and you can regroup your army wants the LP ends.
Doing it quickly is the problem. I brought up this issue in campaign but the few competitive matches I’ve played haven’t gone well either. LPs kill me so fast that I have to retrain my entire army. Most games are defensive.
I think the best solution is to either pre-split your units in campaign or in multiplayer use the painting tool. It's the quickest way to micro as of right now.
L1am Wh1te wrote:

I always begin with an all/local units command to send them in one direction, then I peal off groups with 'Hold A', and send in opposite directions. The group the beam decides to follow keeps getting split.
Zildjians wrote:
L1am Wh1te wrote:

I always begin with an all/local units command to send them in one direction, then I peal off groups with 'Hold A', and send in opposite directions. The group the beam decides to follow keeps getting split.
Yeah that's how it should be done, or if you know they have a beam, for example you just hit 3rd LP point, then you would pre-split going into the engagement.
L1am Wh1te wrote:

Doing it quickly is the problem. I brought up this issue in campaign but the few competitive matches I’ve played haven’t gone well either. LPs kill me so fast that I have to retrain my entire army. Most games are defensive
Yes, like i said it take ALOT of practice to speed this up, Try using a banished leader such as shipmaster. You can use Extract or Teleport to avoid most leader powers if you are quick enough. It's really rough for UNSC all you have is a Heal and a Heavy metal with a couple of leaders to negate some of the damage.
I think the best solution is to either pre-split your units in campaign or in multiplayer use the painting tool. It's the quickest way to micro as of right now.
How do you use the painting tool on xbox?
How do you use the painting tool on xbox?
Painting is a fancy way of saying holding A.
Oh lol, I thought it was that thing they had in the awakening the nightmare campaign.
I can’t count how many times the Banished destroyed my army with leader powers in the campaign. This is a problem for me because I usually move my entire army as one. How should I divide it? By unit type, arbitrary circles(local units), or individual unit orders? It seems that “all units” and “local units” are the only quick way to select units. I know we can make up to four groups but that require constant updates because units are lost and new units are built. I wish ther was a way to set one of the four groups to be default for trained units.
It’s not that hard tbh but I find it easier to hold A on half the army then send it it somewhere else the beam will follow the bigger army or the army which has the counter units it needs to be destroyed. So when it follows hold A on half the army and send it somewhere else then keep repeating the beam will follow until it’s gone. This method is good and maybe the easiest one imo. At best you wouldn’t t lose a thing at worst you lose a few units. Depending on the size of the beam I only lose a few units if it’s tech 1 beam I’ll lose 2 to no units

As far as prespliting goes do this when your playing jerome, attacking a base with a raid camp. You don’t want a mantis dropped on you, You don’t want them spamming sucicde grunts on your infantry army oh that’s annoying split your infantry up all over the place and have your scout units at the front where the units come out if you have no scounts have snipers in the rear (always).
your suppose to split using your screen and local units. that is the best and fastest way to split.
Yeah I got crushed by some LP powers recently. Thanks for the tips, all!!
Some good tips in this vid https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BH62hMI89Mg