Forums / Games / Halo Wars Series

How to fix the smurf account problem...

OP nuchey

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
You know what stinks? Getting Smurfed! No one likes that. A possible solution to help fix this problem would include setting a rank requirement for Ranked Playlists. This would also help prevent new players from getting utterly destroyed by high level players.

For example, imagine if you had to be Rank 25 before you could play Ranked playlists. Of course, this would have been ideal if 343 had thought of this from the start as I know many people with smurf accounts Rank +30. All well, perhaps this could help cut down on future smurf accounts; and if someone really wants to waste their time getting a smurf account to level 25 just to smurf high level players than maybe they should re-evaluate their life choices. Lol

Thoughts?
I've seen this suggested a few times, and it is a good idea. I think 25 is a bit steep. It would be a pretty big time investment for a 'champion' caliber player to get to even rank 20 and still keep himself at gold/plat to be an effective smurf.

Further benefits:
1. Give new players something to 'grind' for, and help people new to the genre understand RTS have steeper learning curves then FPS
2. Prevent people who have played 300+ games from getting matched with someone in their 5th game. This is not fun for either member. These games are very frustrating and pretty much either comes down to who can eliminate the new comer first, or which new comer knows how to use leader powers.
3. Non-ranked games are more relaxed, and people are more willing to help the new comer. It is where they should be. Personally I would require 5 games of vs. AI before even going into Team War.....
I think this could work and I agree this could have been something from the beginning. Since a top tier player already plays alot to be good and know the game, something like maybe rank 10 I don't think would be a bad level, though I do think that their would have to be more unranked modes for this to work.
nuchey wrote:
You know what stinks? Getting Smurfed! No one likes that. A possible solution to help fix this problem would include setting a rank requirement for Ranked Playlists. This would also help prevent new players from getting utterly destroyed by high level players.

For example, imagine if you had to be Rank 25 before you could play Ranked playlists. Of course, this would have been ideal if 343 had thought of this from the start as I know many people with smurf accounts Rank +30. All well, perhaps this could help cut down on future smurf accounts; and if someone really wants to waste their time getting a smurf account to level 25 just to smurf high level players than maybe they should re-evaluate their life choices. Lol

Thoughts?
And, what about people like me, who can't get that much XP as we can't go into MM as I don't have Gold? Have to spend the time we do have it to grind? 25's too steep.
nuchey wrote:

Thoughts?
And, what about people like me, who can't get that much XP as we can't go into MM as I don't have Gold? Have to spend the time we do have it to grind? 25's too steep.
How are you going to play a ranked playlist to begin with without gold?
nuchey wrote:

Thoughts?
Oh hey it's you again. I made a mistake there, I meant when we can only get a subscription for a short time. It would be a pretty bad feeling spending that money, then having to grind just to play others with the limited time you have to play, given school and jobs and stuff.
nuchey wrote:

Thoughts?
Oh hey it's you again. I made a mistake there, I meant when we can only get a subscription for a short time. It would be a pretty bad feeling spending that money, then having to grind just to play others with the limited time you have to play, given school and jobs and stuff.
I get you. I don't think it would take that much time to get to 25 though when you do have gold, when I first got the game I think I remember ranking up pretty quick just from campaign and my first few days of matchmaking.
nuchey wrote:

Thoughts?
I get you. I don't think it would take that much time to get to 25 though when you do have gold, when I first got the game I think I remember ranking up pretty quick just from campaign and my first few days of matchmaking.
True, as I'm already 17 or something just from challenges and Blitz Firefight. Spent most of my time on Gold at Reach MM. Just maybe tone it down the requirement from 25 to 20. That would be good, IMO.
nuchey wrote:

Thoughts?
True, as I'm already 17 or something just from challenges and Blitz Firefight. Spent most of my time on Gold at Reach MM. Just maybe tone it down the requirement from 25 to 20. That would be good, IMO.
You would still be able to play unranked playlists such as Team War, Versus AI, and Blitz
^^ to even expand on this point. If you can only get Gold subscription for short time periods, you shouldn't be in ranked games. Team War is a much better place for this kind of player.
Agreed. I'd say 20 or 25 makes sense to me.
I'm admittedly an average onyx bottom feeder each season and therefore not one to brag, but I'll be legitimately amazed the day a TRUE level 20 newbie bests me in a 1v1, prior console based rts experience or not.
Each time someone under lvl 40 or so beats me though, I do send a message to ask. And while it's obviously against rules to name drop in this instance (I wouldn't anyways, cause it's a video game and I'm really not all that hurt about it) I'd estimate around 3/4 asked admit to it being a smurf, "secondary", or "new" account. And it's cool... Better than me is better than me. So be it. But i feel like we don't have to crash the ranking system further to demonstrate this.
I don't think this will work. Most smurfs I've faced lately are already 20 and above. My 2¢.
nuchey wrote:
nuchey wrote:

Thoughts?
You would still be able to play unranked playlists such as Team War, Versus AI, and Blitz
Oh, it's not so bad then. Alright, I agree here.
i can get a smurf account to level 20 in under 1 day.........
Agreed. I'd say 20 or 25 makes sense to me.
I'm admittedly an average onyx bottom feeder each season and therefore not one to brag, but I'll be legitimately amazed the day a TRUE level 20 newbie bests me in a 1v1, prior console based rts experience or not.
Each time someone under lvl 40 or so beats me though, I do send a message to ask. And while it's obviously against rules to name drop in this instance (I wouldn't anyways, cause it's a video game and I'm really not all that hurt about it) I'd estimate around 3/4 asked admit to it being a smurf, "secondary", or "new" account. And it's cool... Better than me is better than me. So be it. But i feel like we don't have to crash the ranking system further to demonstrate this.
Wanna 1v1 when I get Gold? I wanna try out my Ship against a person with experience in HW2.
Wanna 1v1 when I get Gold? I wanna try out my Ship against a person with experience in HW2.
Sure. Feel free to add me, we can run a couple. There are many out there better than me, though, that are likely more experienced in teaching techniques and strategies all over the spectrum.
BOBONLY62 wrote:
I don't think this will work. Most smurfs I've faced lately are already 20 and above. My 2¢.
Agree, but there's no real way to allow individuals to create a new account and still vet for smurfs. We can't really police xbox gts. And this suggestion is a solid starter that would ensure at least SOME established MMR (unless one is smurfing so hard as to level up via campaign/FF/customs specifically to wreck the already questionable system in place).
It's a start.
Sure. Feel free to add me, we can run a couple. There are many out there better than me, though, that are likely more experienced in teaching techniques and strategies all over the spectrum.
Thnx man. I'll go do that when I do get Gold. Don't have a mic though, and don't plan to get one, for I think people wouldn't take me seriously just because I'm young and my voice.
Doubt.
BOBONLY62 wrote:
I agree that is surely a downside; as I said in the OP this should have been a system they implemented from launch.
nuchey wrote:

Thoughts?
I agree. Why punish competitive players who hate playing against AI just because people exploit the "Xbox Home" feature?
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2