Forums / Games / Halo Wars Series

How to fix the smurf account problem...

OP nuchey

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
nuchey wrote:
i can get a smurf account to level 20 in under 1 day.........
Doubt.
BOBONLY62 wrote:
I don't think this will work. Most smurfs I've faced lately are already 20 and above. My 2¢.
I agree that is surely a downside; as I said in the OP this should have been a system they implemented from launch.
Yeah it is pretty easy to get level 20. All this is doing is prompting people to find the fastest way to reach the minimum level for match making. Some players might even just AFK every game just to get EXP
nuchey wrote:
You know what stinks? Getting Smurfed! No one likes that. A possible solution to help fix this problem would include setting a rank requirement for Ranked Playlists. This would also help prevent new players from getting utterly destroyed by high level players.

For example, imagine if you had to be Rank 25 before you could play Ranked playlists. Of course, this would have been ideal if 343 had thought of this from the start as I know many people with smurf accounts Rank +30. All well, perhaps this could help cut down on future smurf accounts; and if someone really wants to waste their time getting a smurf account to level 25 just to smurf high level players than maybe they should re-evaluate their life choices. Lol

Thoughts?
And, what about people like me, who can't get that much XP as we can't go into MM as I don't have Gold? Have to spend the time we do have it to grind? 25's too steep.
I agree. Why punish competitive players who hate playing against AI just because people exploit the "Xbox Home" feature?
As previously stated, the suggestion is just applicable toward ranked playlists, and is geared against the established smurf issue. There are still unranked playlists, and the devs could even hypothetically create more (or customs, like many high level players claim to prefer anyways)
nuchey wrote:
You know what stinks? Getting Smurfed! No one likes that. A possible solution to help fix this problem would include setting a rank requirement for Ranked Playlists. This would also help prevent new players from getting utterly destroyed by high level players.

For example, imagine if you had to be Rank 25 before you could play Ranked playlists. Of course, this would have been ideal if 343 had thought of this from the start as I know many people with smurf accounts Rank +30. All well, perhaps this could help cut down on future smurf accounts; and if someone really wants to waste their time getting a smurf account to level 25 just to smurf high level players than maybe they should re-evaluate their life choices. Lol

Thoughts?
Puh... how often do we want to have this discussion?
Rank requirements will definitely do more harm than good for several rather obvious reasons:
1. You exclude new players from entering the ranked playlist. - Sounds awesome
2. People who have enough stamina to play super boring noob bashing games all day will also have enough time to make a rank 20 account.
3. Boosting is NOT related to the CSR but the MMR gentlemen....
You can have a rank 90 that always plays Blitz and then sporadically joins DM team playlists with a MMR of 0.5...

There is only one way this can be fixed effectively and this is by changing the team skill attribution when the CSR adjustments are computed.
Smurfing/Boosting is only really a problem in team games and why is that?
Pair a MMR 5.0 player with a MMR 1.0 player and the MMR 5.0 player will no longer lose CSR - that simple.
So all you would need to do is adjust the team strength estimation by weighting the high MMR players more.
If the team MMR 5.0 + MMR 1.0 is closer to something like MMR 5.0 + MMR 4.0 the incentives to actively boost will diminish.
Sure, the MMR 5.0 player will no longer want to play ranked games with *actual* MMR 1.0 players but that's nothing to optimize for.

We proposed this often enough but there's apparently not much the current dev team can do in that regard.
Please stop these rank requirement proposals.
nuchey wrote:

Thoughts?
Rank requirements will definitely do more harm than good for several rather obvious reasons:
2. People who have enough stamina to play super boring noob bashing games all day will also have enough time to make a rank 20 account.
You can have a rank 90 that always plays Blitz and then sporadically joins DM team playlists with a MMR of 0.5...

There is only one way this can be fixed effectively and this is by changing the team skill attribution when the CSR adjustments are computed.
Pair a MMR 5.0 player with a MMR 1.0 player and the MMR 5.0 player will no longer lose CSR - that simple.
So all you would need to do is adjust the team strength estimation by weighting the high MMR players more.
If the team MMR 5.0 + MMR 1.0 is closer to something like MMR 5.0 + MMR 4.0 the incentives to actively boost will diminish.
Sure, the MMR 5.0 player will no longer want to play ranked games with *actual* MMR 1.0 players but that's nothing to optimize for.

We proposed this often enough but there's apparently not much the current dev team can do in that regard.
You can probably chill with the elitist romp. Opening with a rhetorical question and immediately following said question with reasons that very pointedly allege to be "obvious" despite #1 being one of the stated goals and #2 being an opinion while dousing both in sarcasm is unlikely to be the most efficient means of communicating a point to others that are looking to improve the game and experiences associated with it.
If it's not going to happen, then its not going to happen. Absolutely nobody is forcing you to make a reply to the thread. The enlightenment, info, and suggestion are appreciated anyways.
nuchey wrote:

Thoughts?

You can probably chill with the elitist romp. Opening with a rhetorical question and immediately following said question with reasons that very pointedly allege to be "obvious" despite #1 being one of the stated goals and #2 being an opinion while dousing both in sarcasm is unlikely to be the most efficient means of communicating a point to others that are looking to improve the game and experiences associated with it.
If it's not going to happen, then its not going to happen. Absolutely nobody is forcing you to make a reply to the thread. The enlightenment, info, and suggestion are appreciated anyways.
Perhaps my post was a little bit too salty.
But we had quite a few discussions on this topic already (data-driven, more than once) without any noteworthy outcome.
nuchey wrote:

Thoughts?

But we had quite a few discussions on this topic already (data-driven, more than once) without any noteworthy outcome.
It is really disappointing to read ideas like these for the first time only to then learn that they are old and not implemented either. I am just as salty and I wasn’t an author😕. Effectively making smurfing not cost effective for the user really is an interesting topic to me. It’s like we should just flog anyone in the top 10 if there is substantial evidence of boosting. Lol, I’m not sure, but this should have more interest than ‘balancing’ air units.
nuchey wrote:

Thoughts?

It is really disappointing to read ideas like these for the first time only to then learn that they are old and not implemented either. I am just as salty and I wasn’t an author😕. Effectively making smurfing not cost effective for the user really is an interesting topic to me. It’s like we should just flog anyone in the top 10 if there is substantial evidence of boosting. Lol, I’m not sure, but this should have more interest than ‘balancing’ air units.
I included a boosting dashboard in the latest multiplayer report here:
https://public.tableau.com/views/HaloWars2-201807/Boosting

On the x-axis you see the Team MMR Delta, that is, the average(max(MMR) - min(MMR)) in the player's teams.
On the y-axis you see the number of matches.

It's not uncommon, to say the least.
nuchey wrote:

Thoughts?
And, what about people like me, who can't get that much XP as we can't go into MM as I don't have Gold? Have to spend the time we do have it to grind? 25's too steep.
How are you going to play a ranked playlist to begin with without gold?
Oh hey it's you again. I made a mistake there, I meant when we can only get a subscription for a short time. It would be a pretty bad feeling spending that money, then having to grind just to play others with the limited time you have to play, given school and jobs and stuff.
Customs completes dailys and weeklys. Camp gives xp. There are ways. Regardless if your a level 25 legit, your gonna get rolled anyway so who cares. The issue is stopping smurfing
surely the real way to stop smurfing would be to introduce a new playlist for ranked where all squad members have at least Onyx in that playlist, that way by the time the smurf gets to onyx it wont be as devastating to the points of the people they smurf?
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2