Forums / Games / Halo Wars Series

How To Play Voridus ?

OP CommanderrPeace

Voridus is such a different leader and I recently got him but nothing really catches the eye on his leader will compared to Pavium. I believe that is better than he comes off, is this true? Can someone who plays Voridus very well, tell me how, why, and how I can be better with him ? I also don't like that his grenader brutes are only anti infantry when Colony's Goliaths and Arbiters Elite Rangers are anti-infantry aswell as anti-building.
Even Wrensi one of the primary game developers most played leader is Voridus!
Voridus is a tricky leader, the way I play him is I get the leader point combat spoils and do like a quick proxy rush with him, you want to target their advanced Generators because it will put you ahead. His Grenadier drop is pretty good while you're doing your rush if you drop them on infantry, they do good damage and the goo they drop damages over time as well. However the Grenadiers themselves seem a bit lackluster.
You want to get infusion tech since he is all about the goo and eventually a Scarab.
Side note you can pick his brother Pavium he's way better lol or just pick Decimus and go air like everyone else haha.
I once went 123-5 with Voridus in a season and he's one of my most played leaders. He's easily my favorite but unfortunately he isn't very good. Here's your gameplan:

LPs: CS --> gren drop --> invig --> tele/CS 2/drop (tele vs beam leaders, CS 2 is standard, drop if you think you really need it or you cant go on offense) --> Cata --> infusion wake.

If the map is Frontier, you gen 1st raid camp 4th and 5th (upgrading both your pads) and spam JPB. Split them to enemy minis and try to snipe their gens. Recycle a raid camp and get up a war council for your hero. Spam grunts and grenadiers as they'll either go flamer/sniper with hero or scouts to counter JPB spam. Get grunt mine and mine down buildings. Make sure at some point you hit their gen as otherwise your tech will be very slow.

Another thing you can do on Front is gen 1st and constantly spam grunts then run in and mine down their gen as their 5th pad finishes. You can do this on Fissures as well.

On Mirage, you just take the mid mini ASAP and double raid on it and spam JPB. Same idea as Front, send them to minis and kill gens.

If the map isn't Frontier, Fissures, or Mirage you're -Yoink- outta luck. Voridus can be very strong on those maps, but otherwise he can be very weak on medium/large maps. Your best bet is going to be to open Chopper and send it directly to their minibase closest to them and steal it. Put a raid camp on it and spam JPB/grunt/chopper out of it. If you kill one of their gens you're in a good spot. If not, you're not. If you do it right, your tech will be very fast and you can go into Marauder spam quickly. Split Marauders to kill minis and snipe gens as usual. Timing push with Cata and win. If that push doesn't win you the game, you need a Scarab ASAP. If that doesn't win, you lose. Voridus (in my opinion) has the 2nd worst late game next to Cutter.
LUCIANHEAT wrote:
Voridus is a tricky leader, the way I play him is I get the leader point combat spoils and do like a quick proxy rush with him, you want to target their advanced Generators because it will put you ahead. His Grenadier drop is pretty good while you're doing your rush if you drop them on infantry, they do good damage and the goo they drop damages over time as well. However the Grenadiers themselves seem a bit lackluster.
You want to get infusion tech since he is all about the goo and eventually a Scarab.
Side note you can pick his brother Pavium he's way better lol or just pick Decimus and go air like everyone else haha.
Proxy rush is optimal on medium/large maps, yes, but stay away from infusion tech. It's one of the worst LPs in the game. If you've gotten so late into the game that you're picking that, you've lost.
Learned some new openings on this post thanks guys.
I once went 123-5 with Voridus in a season and he's one of my most played leaders. He's easily my favorite but unfortunately he isn't very good. Here's your gameplan:

LPs: CS --> gren drop --> invig --> tele/CS 2/drop (tele vs beam leaders, CS 2 is standard, drop if you think you really need it or you cant go on offense) --> Cata --> infusion wake.

If the map is Frontier, you gen 1st raid camp 4th and 5th (upgrading both your pads) and spam JPB. Split them to enemy minis and try to snipe their gens. Recycle a raid camp and get up a war council for your hero. Spam grunts and grenadiers as they'll either go flamer/sniper with hero or scouts to counter JPB spam. Get grunt mine and mine down buildings. Make sure at some point you hit their gen as otherwise your tech will be very slow.

Another thing you can do on Front is gen 1st and constantly spam grunts then run in and mine down their gen as their 5th pad finishes. You can do this on Fissures as well.

On Mirage, you just take the mid mini ASAP and double raid on it and spam JPB. Same idea as Front, send them to minis and kill gens.

If the map isn't Frontier, Fissures, or Mirage you're -Yoink- outta luck. Voridus can be very strong on those maps, but otherwise he can be very weak on medium/large maps. Your best bet is going to be to open Chopper and send it directly to their minibase closest to them and steal it. Put a raid camp on it and spam JPB/grunt/chopper out of it. If you kill one of their gens you're in a good spot. If not, you're not. If you do it right, your tech will be very fast and you can go into Marauder spam quickly. Split Marauders to kill minis and snipe gens as usual. Timing push with Cata and win. If that push doesn't win you the game, you need a Scarab ASAP. If that doesn't win, you lose. Voridus (in my opinion) has the 2nd worst late game next to Cutter.
Thank You I appreciate this
Voridus is such a different leader and I recently got him but nothing really catches the eye on his leader will compared to Pavium. I believe that is better than he comes off, is this true? Can someone who plays Voridus very well, tell me how, why, and how I can be better with him ? I also don't like that his grenader brutes are only anti infantry when Colony's Goliaths and Arbiters Elite Rangers are anti-infantry aswell as anti-building.
Imo vordus shines in the first 2 minutes of the game because of his combat spoils. If you in 1v1 I’d say go barracks first you will get money off you opponent prioritize hitting their Upgraded gen, then upgraded supply, you get power from those you should be at his base by the minute mark hitting his pads making money. Just keep pumping while doing this get power nodes. But if he is holding off the rush don’t keep pumping unless you didn’t kill kid gen. But if he held it off get make some defenses for a counter rush get ready for tech 2 then steam roll them with tech 2 units while they are on tech 1.
on vault I don’t recommend this at all unless the player is really really good this should work easily.

if you solo queuing in a team game do not go vordus it will only handicap you teammates don’t help you will get jumped it’s that simple.
Swerve LC wrote:
Imo vordus shines in the first 2 minutes of the game because of his combat spoils. If you in 1v1 I’d say go barracks first you will get money off you opponent prioritize hitting their Upgraded gen, then upgraded supply, you get power from those you should be at his base by the minute mark hitting his pads making money. Just keep pumping while doing this get power nodes. But if he is holding off the rush don’t keep pumping unless you didn’t kill kid gen. But if he held it off get make some defenses for a counter rush get ready for tech 2 then steam roll them with tech 2 units while they are on tech 1.
on vault I don’t recommend this at all unless the player is really really good this should work easily.

if you solo queuing in a team game do not go vordus it will only handicap you teammates don’t help you will get jumped it’s that simple.
Nah rax first is pointless when rax second is actually a legit strat. It's a favorite of the Mexicans. Upgrade first pad then spam JPB chopper with gen 4th. You should be able to get a generator and kill defending infantry with a grenadier drop. It even works on medium to large sized maps like Ashes. Rax 5th I find is the best way of shutting it down, but chances are that's not what you're going to run in to if they don't know what you're doing. Hero openers lose because you kill the gen and they can't upgrade the hero even if they get it out. Fast techs obviously auto-lose as well. Pretty strong, but I myself prefer a standard playstyle.