Forums / Games / Halo Wars 2

[Locked] How To Use Abilities From Skill Tree?

OP JacuuziBathsalt

Just as the title says, hahah. How do you use abilities like the restoration that you can get from your character skill-tree?
Also, how can you get the units to use their special ability (such as the Choppers ram ability or you Hero ability)? The game isn't too clear on the controls, and it's been ages since I played the first one, lmao.
Left Trigger.
XB datMatt wrote:
Left Trigger.
Really? That's all? Like, do I have to have that certain unit/hero selected or do I just press LT? Cause I've pressed every button my my controller at least 3 times trying to figure it out lmfao.
You need to select abilites that are activated yo use them. Some are passive and are automatic use.
Naqser wrote:
You need to select abilites that are activated yo use them. Some are passive and are automatic use.
Ahh, okay. I figured it out, hahah. I have the left trigger on my elite controller trigger locked, so for some reason, that prevented it from working. Got it now though.
Another question for this thread: How do you assign units to the d-pad? I know the tutorial says you can do it, but I can't figure out how.

To anybody who's going to be a stuck-up -Yoink- about this: Yes, I'm a noob with this. Yes, I realize the answer is probably very obvious. No, you don't need to tell me I'm stupid. Yes, I understand you're probably going to anyways.

To anyone who is going to leave an actual sincere answer, even if it's wrong: Thank you, and I appreciate it.
Vakama905 wrote:
Another question for this thread: How do you assign units to the d-pad? I know the tutorial says you can do it, but I can't figure out how.

To anybody who's going to be a stuck-up -Yoink- about this: Yes, I'm a noob with this. Yes, I realize the answer is probably very obvious. No, you don't need to tell me I'm stupid. Yes, I understand you're probably going to anyways.

To anyone who is going to leave an actual sincere answer, even if it's wrong: Thank you, and I appreciate it.
You know, that's actually a good question. I know the tutorial video touche don it but it doesn't seem to work. I can cycle through units at various locations but not assign specific subsets to the D-Pad. I'd be curious if anyone has an answer to this. Then again, with how quickly and easy it is to win Domination, you don't really have the time to build a large army.

As to your other question, I know it's been asked and answered by once you unlock it in the skill tree just Left Trigger -> Select Ability with A -> Use Ability.
What if there is no abilities shown when you press left trigger?
Sini002 wrote:
What if there is no abilities shown when you press left trigger?
you have to use the select button (at least that's what it was on 360 not sure now) to open the tech tree. You periodically get points to unlock abilities of your choosing. You purchase abilities in that screen and they will be available when you press the left trigger.
Just as the title says, hahah. How do you use abilities like the restoration that you can get from your character skill-tree?
Also, how can you get the units to use their special ability (such as the Choppers ram ability or you Hero ability)? The game isn't too clear on the controls, and it's been ages since I played the first one, lmao.
On default controls, Left Trigger brings up your Leader Power Radial and Left Bumper increases your map scroll speed when held down. I personally like to go into the options menu and swap LT and LB so my map scroll speed button is on the trigger.

There are two kinds of Leader Powers: Active and Passive. Once you have a leader point earned and ready to spend, press L to open up your Leader Power Radial. Hold the Left Stick in a direction on the radial to highlight a Leader Power. If there are no points invested in that power, press A to buy in. If it's a Passive Leader Power, you won't have to activate it manually at any point; it will always be running. If it's an Active Leader Power with no points invested, pressing A will use one leader point to buy in. When an Active Leader Power has a leader point in it, highlighting it in the radial and pressing A will activate it, or bring up a targeting cursor. Powers that bring up a targeting cursor will not count as activated and will not start its cooldown timer until it is fired, so if you select it on the radial and bring up its targeting cursor, you have a chance to cancel it. Unit drops and glassing beams are examples of Active Leader Powers with targeting cursors. Mass Cloaking and Please Don't Shoot Me are examples of Active Leader Powers without a targeting cursor, and they are activated as soon as you highlight them and press A.

If an Active Leader Power has multiple levels you can invest points into, pressing A on it will buy its first level. From them on, The A button on it will activate it or bring up its targeting cursor. To invest another leader point into it and increase its level, highlight it and press Y instead of A.

Vakama905 wrote:

I got you.

Right Trigger and Right Bumper are Unit Selection buttons. There may be an option in the Start Menu to swap these buttons or change your control scheme, but I think it would make things too confusing.

In the lower left you should see an image of the controller's D-Pad. By default, you should see symbols on each arrow. If you press and hold down RT you should see these symbols change to numerals for as long as you are holding the RT, and they will all be 0's at the start of the game. Get your unit(s) that you want to assign to a group selected. Then, while holding RT to change those little symbols to numbers, simultaneously press and hold one of the directions on your D-Pad. You should hear your leader say "Group # assigned." (Group #'s are 1 through 4, and those correspond to each direction on the D-Pad, up being Group #1.)

The number you see in the lower left of your screen on one of the D-Pad arrows shows how many units are assigned in that group. Continue holding RT or press and hold it down later to see that number. If that number decreases, one of the units assigned to that group has been killed. If it drops to 0, you can see that your group has been completely destroyed no matter where you are looking on the map.

Now, if you press and hold RT and simultaneously quick tap (less than a half a second) one of the directions on your D-Pad that has been assigned a group, you can remotely select the unit(s), and you will hear your leader say "Group #". If you hold RT and press down a D-Pad direction and hold it for more than about a half a second while you have units currently selected, you will overwrite that group and reassign it with the units you have selected.

RT + hold D-Pad = assign group
RT + tap D-Pad = select group

Note: The term "group" is used to refer to these assigned units. Using the term "squad" could confuse other players. A "squad" in Halo Wars 2 refers to single units made up of more than one military personnel, such as most infantry units, or units surrounded by support drones. An "ODST squad" is a single unit.
On default controls, Left Trigger brings up your Leader Power Radial and Left Bumper increases your map scroll speed when held down. I personally like to go into the options menu and swap LT and LB so my map scroll speed button is on the trigger.

There are two kinds of Leader Powers: Active and Passive. Once you have a leader point earned and ready to spend, press L to open up your Leader Power Radial. Hold the Left Stick in a direction on the radial to highlight a Leader Power. If there are no points invested in that power, press A to buy in. If it's a Passive Leader Power, you won't have to activate it manually at any point; it will always be running. If it's an Active Leader Power with no points invested, pressing A will use one leader point to buy in. When an Active Leader Power has a leader point in it, highlighting it in the radial and pressing A will activate it, or bring up a targeting cursor. Powers that bring up a targeting cursor will not count as activated and will not start its cooldown timer until it is fired, so if you select it on the radial and bring up its targeting cursor, you have a chance to cancel it. Unit drops and glassing beams are examples of Active Leader Powers with targeting cursors. Mass Cloaking and Please Don't Shoot Me are examples of Active Leader Powers without a targeting cursor, and they are activated as soon as you highlight them and press A.

If an Active Leader Power has multiple levels you can invest points into, pressing A on it will buy its first level. From them on, The A button on it will activate it or bring up its targeting cursor. To invest another leader point into it and increase its level, highlight it and press Y instead of A.

Vakama905 wrote:

I got you.

Right Trigger and Right Bumper are Unit Selection buttons. There may be an option in the Start Menu to swap these buttons or change your control scheme, but I think it would make things too confusing.

In the lower left you should see an image of the controller's D-Pad. By default, you should see symbols on each arrow. If you press and hold down RT you should see these symbols change to numerals for as long as you are holding the RT, and they will all be 0's at the start of the game. Get your unit(s) that you want to assign to a group selected. Then, while holding RT to change those little symbols to numbers, simultaneously press and hold one of the directions on your D-Pad. You should hear your leader say "Group # assigned." (Group #'s are 1 through 4, and those correspond to each direction on the D-Pad, up being Group #1.)

The number you see in the lower left of your screen on one of the D-Pad arrows shows how many units are assigned in that group. Continue holding RT or press and hold it down later to see that number. If that number decreases, one of the units assigned to that group has been killed. If it drops to 0, you can see that your group has been completely destroyed no matter where you are looking on the map.

Now, if you press and hold RT and simultaneously quick tap (less than a half a second) one of the directions on your D-Pad that has been assigned a group, you can remotely select the unit(s), and you will hear your leader say "Group #". If you hold RT and press down a D-Pad direction and hold it for more than about a half a second while you have units currently selected, you will overwrite that group and reassign it with the units you have selected.

RT + hold D-Pad = assign group
RT + tap D-Pad = select group

Note: The term "group" is used to refer to these assigned units. Using the term "squad" could confuse other players. A "squad" in Halo Wars 2 refers to single units made up of more than one military personnel, such as most infantry units, or units surrounded by support drones. An "ODST squad" is a single unit.
Ummm... you do realize this thread is over a year old, right?
Ummm... you do realize this thread is over a year old, right?
Haha! But yeah, the skill tree in the first beta was a complete mess.
Vakama905 wrote:
Chances are they already found the answers they were looking for, please do not revive old threads.