Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo Wars Series

How Will Colony Talk?

OP ABedofFlowers

I mean... Hunters can't talk. How will his (her? Their?) make announcements? Every other leader does.

This may prove interesting.
*Generic Hunter Growls* -- OK, I see my building finished

*Generic Hunter Growls* -- Hmm... Oh, I see. A tech just finished researching

*Generic Hunter Growls* -- Am I under attack???!!
In canon, Lekgolo can communicate with other races by mimicking sounds. However, they do so by vibrating at different frequencies, so you don't so much "hear" them talk as you do feel them. My guess is that they'll just talk like any other leader, but have different undertones in their speech patterns to make it sound more distinctly lekgolo.
someone suggested generic grunting with an unggoy translating lol
I think grunts with subtitles would be funny, but I'm all for that Unggoy translating lol
I'm thinking something along the lines of a collar designed by the Engineers to go around Colony's "neck" to pick up and translate the vibrations he (they?) Put off in to English.

As for how they (gonna go with they) are actually going to sound? Would guess a deep rumbling voice and a lot of "We" being thrown about.
In canon, Lekgolo can communicate with other races by mimicking sounds. However, they do so by vibrating at different frequencies, so you don't so much "hear" them talk as you do feel them. My guess is that they'll just talk like any other leader, but have different undertones in their speech patterns to make it sound more distinctly lekgolo.
Which book says this?
I'm thinking something along the lines of a collar designed by the Engineers to go around Colony's "neck" to pick up and translate the vibrations he (they?) Put off in to English.

As for how they (gonna go with they) are actually going to sound? Would guess a deep rumbling voice and a lot of "We" being thrown about.
I like it. Or maybe built into the armor, not unlike Mjolnir's translation software.
I think it would be rather cool to have an in-depth language, created for the Lekgolo.

You could have the option to turn subtitles on/off, or have the option to have english spoken words instead.
It would be cool if different sounds from your Lekgolo leader, identified or were attributed to different things happening on the battlefield.

Dear god Squire! Must I say?! What a great idea!
APMz 2 Hi wrote:
someone suggested generic grunting with an unggoy translating lol
I honestly can't tell if this or simply hearing Hunter groans would be better.
Which book says this?
It was Ghosts of Onyx when they introduced the shipmaster of the Incorruptible's Honor Guard's, both of which were hunters.

"Mgalekgolo do not use vocal chords to speak, but instead vibrate their bodies to make a low rumble to produce speech. They are capable of mimicking the language of other species, forming words and sentences that are "felt rather than heard." Their quiet nature among other races of the Covenant is possibly a result of difficulty speaking with other Covenant races. The known names of some Mgalekgolo seem to imply that they use very simple vowels and only a few consonants."

Pulled form the Halo wiki here: http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/Mgalekgolo
I'm guessing that it will be a low-toned and rumbly alien voice. Since Mgalekgolo don't really "talk" when communicating to other races.