Forums / Games / Halo Wars Series

How Would You Rank Leaders Best to Worst?

OP Turtle Boy 1999

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
Not gonna mention the possibility of a well timed decimus Y wrecking suis/ghosts/guard? Also vortex is what gives it to him.

Ghosts are pretty much eliminated instantly when immobilized or otherwise caught. Hammer pull guarantees you wasted supplies each time it tugs a ghost out of position to get smashed to dust.

Not to mention that nothing stops decimus from building shrapnel choppers to murder your suis a simple vortex guaranteeing further destruction of your defense.

Also siphon.

Thing is, if Decimus makes a cloud of forces against Ship early game before leader point 3 or tech 2, Ship is going to have a bad time. His hammer pull and amazing Y ability really cement him as a hero killer/scout crusher and great early leader point options further make him an absolute demon.
This isn't debateable. If you build Warlord and shrapnel choppers you're not going to be able to push at all and you're going to be very very far behind in tech. At that point you might as well put down your controller and leave.

If you want evidence for this, add THAT B0Y NATHAN and tell him you want to play his Shipmaster. You could play against me, but really it wouldn't be worth my time. I bid you good luck because you'll need it.
Not gonna mention the possibility of a well timed decimus Y wrecking suis/ghosts/guard? Also vortex is what gives it to him.

Ghosts are pretty much eliminated instantly when immobilized or otherwise caught. Hammer pull guarantees you wasted supplies each time it tugs a ghost out of position to get smashed to dust.

Not to mention that nothing stops decimus from building shrapnel choppers to murder your suis a simple vortex guaranteeing further destruction of your defense.

Also siphon.

Thing is, if Decimus makes a cloud of forces against Ship early game before leader point 3 or tech 2, Ship is going to have a bad time. His hammer pull and amazing Y ability really cement him as a hero killer/scout crusher and great early leader point options further make him an absolute demon.
This isn't debateable. If you build Warlord and shrapnel choppers you're not going to be able to push at all and you're going to be very very far behind in tech. At that point you might as well put down your controller and leave.

If you want evidence for this, add THAT B0Y NATHAN and tell him you want to play his Shipmaster. You could play against me, but really it wouldn't be worth my time. I bid you good luck because you'll need it.
I said that because you mentioned Ghosts being built to be an issue for Decimus. Ghosts tend to get their upgrade researched for the usefulness of a shield. Therefore, the hypothetical ship and decimus will be on similar levels for tech.

But I suppose you could also just be a hostile elitist and just bark things to be THAT guy.

It's a discussion. Deal with adversaries.
I said that because you mentioned Ghosts being built to be an issue for Decimus. Ghosts tend to get their upgrade researched for the usefulness of a shield. Therefore, the hypothetical ship and decimus will be on similar levels for tech.

But I suppose you could also just be a hostile elitist and just bark things to be THAT guy.

You don't need shield, you just assumed that. Yes, I can be a hostile elitist because it's much easier than to try to persuade someone who doesn't value experience and knowledge. I don't care for discussion with Waypointers and haven't for awhile now.

This just in: Nathan doesn't want to play you either, he says he values his time more.

You don't need shield, you just assumed that. Yes, I can be a hostile elitist because it's much easier than to try to persuade someone who doesn't value experience and knowledge. I don't care for discussion with Waypointers and haven't for awhile now.

This just in: Nathan doesn't want to play you either, he says he values his time more.
How toxic of you. "Experience and knowledge" Pleeease.

Anywho, yeah they arent good for much without shield. I'm sorry you have a fragile gamer ego because I dont like bothering with discord.

Would have been fun picking up some tips and experience from Nathan. Too bad.
Wait.. but can't Decimus force an early confrontation and defeat him there? You're skipping steps here. Teleport out of beam AND vortex? Cooldowns.. early game pressure. There is a lot to consider when considering a 1v1 scenario. Early game often decides the winner and I just dont think Shipmaster has it vs Decimus. Hell, he doesnt have it against anyone if a single mistake is made and the Guard is killed early because once you snowball with detectors and the like, he can't protect your T1 base.
Shipmaster does not have a hard time deflecting early pressure from Decimus. The best way for Decimus to beat Ship is to match their tech and beam SS when it comes down. Warlord is not good at pushing a well defended base on T1, grunts die to sui, and jpb die to ghosts.

Also siphon.

You have some good points i give you that but you're underestimating ship and I wana keep this short so ehm deci's greatest strength is batteling and pressuring his opponent right?
So what's ship's greatest strength?
Hmmm let me think ... Oh right he decides when he battle and when not, where the battles take place and when. So no my friend, deci will loose sooner or later. At least IMO
AcE Hisoka wrote:
Wait.. but can't Decimus force an early confrontation and defeat him there? You're skipping steps here. Teleport out of beam AND vortex? Cooldowns.. early game pressure. There is a lot to consider when considering a 1v1 scenario. Early game often decides the winner and I just dont think Shipmaster has it vs Decimus. Hell, he doesnt have it against anyone if a single mistake is made and the Guard is killed early because once you snowball with detectors and the like, he can't protect your T1 base.
Shipmaster does not have a hard time deflecting early pressure from Decimus. The best way for Decimus to beat Ship is to match their tech and beam SS when it comes down. Warlord is not good at pushing a well defended base on T1, grunts die to sui, and jpb die to ghosts.

Also siphon.

You have some good points i give you that but you're underestimating ship and I wana keep this short so ehm deci's greatest strength is batteling and pressuring his opponent right?
Hmmm let me think ... Oh right he decides when he battle and when not, where the battles take place and when. So no my friend, deci will loose sooner or later. At least IMO
It is very possible that I am underestimating him. I just think the matchup may lean Dec. I might be doing it wrong but cant you decide when/where the battle begins by simply walking to your opponents base? Ship is only evasive early game while Dec has a more offensive kit.

Early game when it really is just your hero vs their's with a supporting force, yeah I think Warlord using his pulls and Vortex correctly can close the game.

I do think Shippy is monster though and is a hard matchup for much of the cast though. Honor Harass is hard to counter early game.
AcE Hisoka wrote:

Also siphon.

It is very possible that I am underestimating him. I just think the matchup may lean Dec. I might be doing it wrong but cant you decide when/where the battle begins by simply walking to your opponents base? Ship is only evasive early game while Dec has a more offensive kit.

Early game when it really is just your hero vs their's with a supporting force, yeah I think Warlord using his pulls and Vortex correctly can close the game.

I do think Shippy is monster though and is a hard matchup for much of the cast though. Honor Harass is hard to counter early game.
It's never a simple walk to your opponents base my friend haha beside that ship is evasive only early game i mean common friend tele,extract,displacement and gateway are 4 extremely powerfull tools that he has. Ship can shut down every leaders offensive because of this abilities.
And yes deci can shut down ship's early game but if he don't manage to beat him early, deci will loose sooner or later. Ohh and before i forget, you can not just pull ship's suis because a good ship will use a teleport/suis combo to get the job done.
AcE Hisoka wrote:
AcE Hisoka wrote:

Also siphon.

It's never a simple walk to your opponents base my friend haha beside that ship is evasive only early game i mean common friend tele,extract,displacement and gateway are 4 extremely powerfull tools that he has. Ship can shut down every leaders offensive because of this abilities.
And yes deci can shut down ship's early game but if he don't manage to beat him early, deci will loose sooner or later. Ohh and before i forget, you can not just pull ship's suis because a good ship will use a teleport/suis combo to get the job done.
Well you aren't aiming to pull the suis I hope lol. That's what a few choppers will be good for. And that's one less evasion tool to save Honor Guard from Pull, Hammer Y ability (stuns for decades) into vortex to finish it. Not getting hit with that would be my main concern at least. That Y ability is back often too, and Pull returns even sooner than that.

This is why my point was that Dec can feasibly take it early game barring a turtle with suicide grunts and ghosts to fend off rush units, choppers, and leader in the matchup. Ship's only tools are going to be Tele and Extract. If you force the confrontation he has to use them to save his hero unit twice or burn one killing some number of harassing units that might just jet pack over to Warlord for safety after losing a good bit of them.
AcE Hisoka wrote:
AcE Hisoka wrote:

Also siphon.

Well you aren't aiming to pull the suis I hope lol. That's what a few choppers will be good for. And that's one less evasion tool to save Honor Guard from Pull, Hammer Y ability (stuns for decades) into vortex to finish it. Not getting hit with that would be my main concern at least. That Y ability is back often too, and Pull returns even sooner than that.

This is why my point was that Dec can feasibly take it early game barring a turtle with suicide grunts and ghosts to fend off rush units, choppers, and leader in the matchup. Ship's only tools are going to be Tele and Extract. If you force the confrontation he has to use them to save his hero unit twice or burn one killing some number of harassing units that might just jet pack over to Warlord for safety after losing a good bit of them.
I want to side with Decimus in a Deci v Ship matchup, buuuut... realistically I think Ship would win.
Deci is good, I hear, but I can’t give it to him myself. Of course, I haven’t played Deci since the first week the game was out, so grain of salt.
AcE Hisoka wrote:
AcE Hisoka wrote:

Also siphon.

I want to side with Decimus in a Deci v Ship matchup, buuuut... realistically I think Ship would win.
Deci is good, I hear, but I can’t give it to him myself. Of course, I haven’t played Deci since the first week the game was out, so grain of salt.
TBH, I've only played Deci when the challenges want me to and play Ship nearly religiously. I can't speak for Deci from what I've experienced with him, but from what I've seen from other players, Deci does have a chance if he gets aggressive with map control with Warlord and Siphon/Fury. I feel that while Ship has a great early game kit, Deci can counter it with some very aggressive LP's.
AcE Hisoka wrote:
AcE Hisoka wrote:

Also siphon.

Really? Oh man you gotta take him for a spin. He's a hoot and if you target any unit with Pull researched it's basically going to die from the subsequent Y ability. Heroes included. Boundless siphon also has a knack for just making your army better than theirs and you get glassing?? Pssssh.
AcE Hisoka wrote:
AcE Hisoka wrote:

Also siphon.

Really? Oh man you gotta take him for a spin. He's a hoot and if you target any unit with Pull researched it's basically going to die from the subsequent Y ability. Heroes included. Boundless siphon also has a knack for just making your army better than theirs and you get glassing?? Pssssh.
Tbh, I’ve been trying a bit more Shippy lately for his ability to move. If AIs could be mad, i’m certain the heroic Jerome I fought last night would’ve gotten mad.

It’s mostly because I’m a fan of elites, but I’ll try Deci after work if I can.
AcE Hisoka wrote:
AcE Hisoka wrote:

Also siphon.

Tbh, I’ve been trying a bit more Shippy lately for his ability to move. If AIs could be mad, i’m certain the heroic Jerome I fought last night would’ve gotten mad.

Try playing 1v1 ranked after you learn the build orders with a leader, the ai in customs is -Yoink-.

Deci is the easiest banished leader to use bar none. He's the only leader who can go nothing but grunts and hero and win tech 2. Shipmaster on the other hand, he's probably the most skill intensive leader in the game. I wish you luck in learning how to use the mercenary!
AcE Hisoka wrote:
AcE Hisoka wrote:

Also siphon.

Try playing 1v1 ranked after you learn the build orders with a leader, the ai in customs is -Yoink-.

Deci is the easiest banished leader to use bar none. He's the only leader who can go nothing but grunts and hero and win tech 2. Shipmaster on the other hand, he's probably the most skill intensive leader in the game. I wish you luck in learning how to use the mercenary!
I've been using Ship since I got the game as there was no Arby at launch, and I used him exclusively on Wars 1. I want to say I'm decent but really I've no idea. No concrete build order in mind either. As for Deci, I found him easy to use decently but the leader wasn't really too fun to play so I've stayed away from him. I really only play other leaders when the challenges need me to, but once I'm done, I'll be playing Ship all day.
AcE Hisoka wrote:
AcE Hisoka wrote:

Also siphon.

Hey, thanks! I actually tried Deci cuz of you guys.

He’s good, but not my style. I do like his Spirit Assault ability, even if I find Spirit Support to be the better one. I LOVE the feel the Spirit call ins have. Halo CE might’ve been unbalanced at times (not nearly as much as Halo 2 xD), and I prefer Halo 3, but I get Halo CE flashbacks whenever I see a squad come from a Spirit. Big fan of the classics, so seeing those things is fun.

But my Decimus match. It kinda lasted a bit long, cuz the AI rushed me before I could rush him, so I stayed on defense until I could slowly push his closest bases, defend, rinse, repeat.
AcE Hisoka wrote:
AcE Hisoka wrote:

Also siphon.

Cars is a bit short lol but he's not wrong. Deci is stupid strong right now, but ship handles him well. Basically what you were saying about an early game win for deci is possible, if you're way better than the ship you're playing. Basically any good ship is going to be able to hold you off with HG/grunts/suis until T2 then sit under a shield and stack spirit supports, get locusts, then drop in on your base, displace your army, etc. Deci's heroes are a force for sure, but ship gets to pick all of his engagements, and that's just something deci can't overcome.
AcE Hisoka wrote:
AcE Hisoka wrote:

Also siphon.

Cars is a bit short lol but he's not wrong. Deci is stupid strong right now, but ship handles him well. Basically what you were saying about an early game win for deci is possible, if you're way better than the ship you're playing. Basically any good ship is going to be able to hold you off with HG/grunts/suis until T2 then sit under a shield and stack spirit supports, get locusts, then drop in on your base, displace your army, etc. Deci's heroes are a force for sure, but ship gets to pick all of his engagements, and that's just something deci can't overcome.
Why engage a full army when you can teleport half of it away? Divide and conquer.
1st yap yap. Ship master oh and everything else

Oh and last ginger one she's useless
Jerome then Johnson - They are all I use, they are all I will ever use. Wish I could use them both at the same time. Would sacrifice ALL ground units and first level Vehicles and/or Air to have these two at the same time. LOL!!!
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3