Forums / Games / Halo Wars Series

[Locked] I so despair of the rushers

OP paynebyname

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
I've had some great games on Halo Wars 2 recently. Full blown battles lasting almost an hour where the battlefield has swung from one side to the other but god do I despair of these players who just want to rush. It's just so tedious.

It's like taking the time to set up a chess board and someone comes over and kicks it over. I just wish they would message me to say 'rushing' and I'd quit and give them their empty victory so they total up and tick it off before their meagre attention span comes to an end.
Advertising paid for by ronnie42
I know what you mean. I actually just finished a game where I got rushed 4 or 5 minutes in. It’s just, not exciting for anyone.
Rushing is part of an RTS build snipers, suis and put up anti infantry turrets :)
I wouldnt even call getting attacked 5 mins in a rush lol i time my rushes for no later than 3 mins
I know what you mean. I actually just finished a game where I got rushed 4 or 5 minutes in. It’s just, not exciting for anyone.
It's called 'Halo Wars' not 'Halo Peace Treaty' or 'Halo Wait Till I Get My Army Ready'.
4-5 minutes is not even a rush. It is more likely that somebody scouted you, realised you were being greedy with more than one generator/extractor, hence not building enough units early and took advantage of you being caught with your pants down.

If this is 1v1's then it's likely you didn't scout. Just spend 30 minutes watching the high level players on twitch or their past videos and you'll realise nearly every game involves some sort of rush to stifle your opponents economy. Some times they work, sometimes they don't. Often those that rush have a much worse economy afterwards. It only becomes a game ending move if the opponent was greedy and blindly playing the game without even looking around the map. The Twitch videos will also show you how to defend it easily. As LUCIANHEAT says, it's usually as easy as a couple of snipers or a few sui's and a turret. There was the Anniversary Tournament this past weekend on Twitch hosted by Yodaesla and Nakamura RTS. It was a great watch and in so many games you could see how to properly defend rushes.

If this is 2v2 or 3v3 then the rush will obviously be more deadly but still possible to defend. So it is important that somebody should scout that very early. A team game should involve communicating with your team. If you don't, then you deliberately put yourself at a disadvantage over those that do. That would be your fault, not the games or your teammates. Everybody needs to move their units around the map scouting early and often. That way you'll know what units to build and what direction to move the counter army.
If this was caused because you solo queued in a team game then you've nobody to blame but yourself. You're just putting yourself at a huge disadvantage to 'actual teams' that play a game mode designed for teams. There is no reason for it either as you can find teammates in minutes on Xbox Looking For Group and Xbox Clubs.

I don't mean to offend in any way. I'm giving suggestions as to what might be happening as I myself fell victim to all of the above and still do at times when not concentrating. And it's always my fault, not the games bad design.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not post spam.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
I would play a leader with a strong hero unit and then buy their first upgrade tech one. Then make a lot of grunts/marines and scout units (maybe one or two turrets if you r unsc). These units don't cost power so you should be able to fend off rushes and then get to the tech 2 portion of the game fairly easily. Once you play more and feel comfortable with managing your economy try to make a raid camp/barracks early and get 5-6 building killers, this way you can punish your enemy for a failed rush and lock them on one base, or be aggressive yourself if they double base early or have an unprotected mini base. This of courses get harder when you get diamond and onyx, but this should get you to diamond to start. Also I see you play a lot of cutter who is an aggressive leader, I would recommend atriox or forge if you want to get to the late game as both heros are very strong, and have good defensive/economical leader powers (Atrioxs cheap bases cheap base upgrades with fortifications and forges rolling economy)
It's called 'Halo Wars' not 'Halo Peace Treaty' or 'Halo Wait Till I Get My Army Ready'.
4-5 minutes is not even a rush. It is more likely that somebody scouted you, realised you were being greedy with more than one generator/extractor, hence not building enough units early and took advantage of you being caught with your pants down.

If this is 1v1's then it's likely you didn't scout. Just spend 30 minutes watching the high level players on twitch or their past videos and you'll realise nearly every game involves some sort of rush to stifle your opponents economy. Some times they work, sometimes they don't. Often those that rush have a much worse economy afterwards. It only becomes a game ending move if the opponent was greedy and blindly playing the game without even looking around the map. The Twitch videos will also show you how to defend it easily. As LUCIANHEAT says, it's usually as easy as a couple of snipers or a few sui's and a turret. There was the Anniversary Tournament this past weekend on Twitch hosted by Yodaesla and Nakamura RTS. It was a great watch and in so many games you could see how to properly defend rushes.

If this is 2v2 or 3v3 then the rush will obviously be more deadly but still possible to defend. So it is important that somebody should scout that very early. A team game should involve communicating with your team. If you don't, then you deliberately put yourself at a disadvantage over those that do. That would be your fault, not the games or your teammates. Everybody needs to move their units around the map scouting early and often. That way you'll know what units to build and what direction to move the counter army.
If this was caused because you solo queued in a team game then you've nobody to blame but yourself. You're just putting yourself at a huge disadvantage to 'actual teams' that play a game mode designed for teams. There is no reason for it either as you can find teammates in minutes on Xbox Looking For Group and Xbox Clubs.

I don't mean to offend in any way. I'm giving suggestions as to what might be happening as I myself fell victim to all of the above and still do at times when not concentrating. And it's always my fault, not the games bad design.
Well I do take offense to because then it takes lack of creativity and is no fun for anyone. Does anyone really like a quick 5-10 min rts game? Because if you do, then I have a problem with you. It’s a “strategy” to rush but is it thoughtful? Is it creative? Sure our styles won’t mesh or match well against each other but, I used to rush with Atriox before Atriox was cool. Was it fun? Eh. Reminds me of playing as decimus nowadays, where if I want an easy win, I can go build some deci-banshees.

I know I’m a target against people that orgasm over rushing, because those same people probably aren’t good late game. They hate building well thought out comps and actually putting together a robust strategy that doesn’t involve rushing. The last time I saw a rush where I was like “wow, that guy deserves it” was when someone playing colony was at my team mates base in about 3 mins 30 seconds with goliaths. We won that game btw because they couldn’t keep up with actual comps.

Well I do take offense to because then it takes lack of creativity and is no fun for anyone. Does anyone really like a quick 5-10 min rts game? Because if you do, then I have a problem with you. It’s a “strategy” to rush but is it thoughtful? Is it creative? Sure our styles won’t mesh or match well against each other but, I used to rush with Atriox before Atriox was cool. Was it fun? Eh. Reminds me of playing as decimus nowadays, where if I want an easy win, I can go build some deci-banshees.

I know I’m a target against people that orgasm over rushing, because those same people probably aren’t good late game. They hate building well thought out comps and actually putting together a robust strategy that doesn’t involve rushing. The last time I saw a rush where I was like “wow, that guy deserves it” was when someone playing colony was at my team mates base in about 3 mins 30 seconds with goliaths. We won that game btw because they couldn’t keep up with actual comps.
5 to 10, or 5 to 15 is pretty much the standard match times so.... yes? I shouldn't have to commit half an hour to a single match. I say that as someone who as a 1v1 smurf to turtle newbs for upwards of 2-6 hours occasionally. Longer match time =/= more enjoyable match, especially when the skill levels are mismatched. I find that my favorite matches all tend to be in the 5-15min range with a handful higher than that. Enough that you have intense battles at all stages of the game. Problem being that if I want an intense T1 battle that evolves to T2, it requires someone in the same skill level trying to do the same thing. If I'm going hard for that T1 battle but the enemy is not, then I'm going to rollover them and all the better, as I can move onto the next match where hopefully I get a better skill match.

I also highly question your "I can just go deci banshees for easy wins." Particularly because you seem to play a lot of 1s, for which very high skill level players rarely just go into banshees as Decimus (Progression being mass grunts -> marauder/Infantry mix + counter units -> maybe air switch in the late game). Indeed your last match as Decimus was in 3s on a large map that favors banshees, and you went banshees, and lost after a 25min game. That is pretty much the anti-thesis of "easy win."

Also throwing a lot of shade at "people that orgasm over rushing" not having late game skills to back it up when you yourself aren't exactly the spitting image of a high tier player. Pots and kettles, stones and glass houses and all that. Literally your last match as Atriox you rushed as Atriox and then lost after a 40 minute game. The teams were fairly well matched ranked wise as well. Like, holy hypocrisy Batman!
I have pretty much stopped playing the online multiplayer because of the rushers

5 to 10, or 5 to 15 is pretty much the standard match times so.... yes? I shouldn't have to commit half an hour to a single match. I say that as someone who as a 1v1 smurf to turtle newbs for upwards of 2-6 hours occasionally. Longer match time =/= more enjoyable match, especially when the skill levels are mismatched. I find that my favorite matches all tend to be in the 5-15min range with a handful higher than that. Enough that you have intense battles at all stages of the game. Problem being that if I want an intense T1 battle that evolves to T2, it requires someone in the same skill level trying to do the same thing. If I'm going hard for that T1 battle but the enemy is not, then I'm going to rollover them and all the better, as I can move onto the next match where hopefully I get a better skill match.

I also highly question your "I can just go deci banshees for easy wins." Particularly because you seem to play a lot of 1s, for which very high skill level players rarely just go into banshees as Decimus (Progression being mass grunts -> marauder/Infantry mix + counter units -> maybe air switch in the late game). Indeed your last match as Decimus was in 3s on a large map that favors banshees, and you went banshees, and lost after a 25min game. That is pretty much the anti-thesis of "easy win."

Also throwing a lot of shade at "people that orgasm over rushing" not having late game skills to back it up when you yourself aren't exactly the spitting image of a high tier player. Pots and kettles, stones and glass houses and all that. Literally your last match as Atriox you rushed as Atriox and then lost after a 40 minute game. The teams were fairly well matched ranked wise as well. Like, holy hypocrisy Batman!
Alright wise guy, since you’re back already looking into my past game logs and you say I play a lot of 1v1. Prior to last week, maybe even the last two weeks, how many 1v1 games have I played in the time leading up to today? While you’re also looking my game logs, keep track of how many games I’ve played as decimus. (Hint for first question: its mostly in 3v3). You’re looking at my small sample sizes and judging who I am from those small sample sizes. Then you can look at amount of games played as Atriox. You’ll see I haven’t played a whole lot of Atriox in the past year even. So then you say “the teams were fairly well matched”. We’re they? Because I know not a lot about Atriox. So wise guy, I ask you, because I haven’t played religiously since the game came out, which I can assume you have, do I have the right to gripe? Is that answer in my service record?

Since you you want to attack my personal game, I never once said I was good at late game. I said, I prefer last game because it’s where the actual strategy is. Much like fortnite, I hate the building (let’s equal this to rushing) but I’m much more skilled in the shooting (late game). Do I win all the time? I assume you do. Do I care? No.

The reason for this thread was to say rushing takes the long, thinking process of the game, and just says “you got a very quick amount of time before some wise guy wants to play someone else because he thinks so little of you”. Like, holy who gives a damn, Ironman

Alright wise guy, since you’re back already looking into my past game logs and you say I play a lot of 1v1. Prior to last week, maybe even the last two weeks, how many 1v1 games have I played in the time leading up to today? While you’re also looking my game logs, keep track of how many games I’ve played as decimus. (Hint for first question: its mostly in 3v3). You’re looking at my small sample sizes and judging who I am from those small sample sizes. Then you can look at amount of games played as Atriox. You’ll see I haven’t played a whole lot of Atriox in the past year even. So then you say “the teams were fairly well matched”. We’re they? Because I know not a lot about Atriox. So wise guy, I ask you, because I haven’t played religiously since the game came out, which I can assume you have, do I have the right to gripe? Is that answer in my service record?

Since you you want to attack my personal game, I never once said I was good at late game. I said, I prefer last game because it’s where the actual strategy is. Much like fortnite, I hate the building (let’s equal this to rushing) but I’m much more skilled in the shooting (late game). Do I win all the time? I assume you do. Do I care? No.

The reason for this thread was to say rushing takes the long, thinking process of the game, and just says “you got a very quick amount of time before some wise guy wants to play someone else because he thinks so little of you”. Like, holy who gives a damn, Ironman
Suck it up and learn to build mate since you clearly don't. Rushes aren't going to stop for one kid who whines about them because he didn't build anything but supply and generators early game.
"But..But my long games!". too bad, you have to work for them

Suck it up and learn to build mate since you clearly don't. Rushes aren't going to stop for one kid who whines about them because he didn't build anything but supply and generators early game.
"But..But my long games!". too bad, you have to work for them
S-s-suck it up kid. Sheesh. 🤐 😂. Do you even Halo bro?

Clearly I’m just inferior than you and whatever species you are, but since you care to put in your un-needed extra opinion, I guess you’ll get it too.

Here we are, 2 years after the game has been released, and people still have fun rushing instead of playing them “work for them” long games, where it’s a chess match. “But rushing is a strategy too”. For impatient, fortnite equivalent, bob the builders. Sure “Wookie Cookie” you may be better than me or more skilled. But the reason this game didn’t stick for very long, was because of how bad the rushing is in this game.

I get it, “you get matched with your skill talent, and you play with them, and in theory, the games should be “‘strategic’”. So when my team, gets colony/brute rushed, it should in theory, cost them more to do that and be able to sustain a healthy economy, they should be hindered. You’d think that. Their rush might not kill you, but it’ll severely hurt your base and Econ structures. So then for the low low price of 90 blue and whatever energon, they can go again. All while micro managing their side bases while they can keep a cheap constant pressure on your already weak base then widdle you to death.

Its all about who’s rush is more effective. The counter rush, where snipers aren’t unlocked until T2, or the T1 building killer rush. “Oh just scout and build turrets”. Then they kill your turrets. What do I know, I’m a “kid”.
Let's move away from person attacks. Discuss the topic, but don't berate each other.
All I seen here was a lot people actually trying to help and then a lot of whining because the advice to actually help wasn't what somebody wanted to hear or do in the game.
Tough luck. The game and the world doesn't revolve around you. The beauty about this game is that if you want to build up your armies for an hour and then have a big coming together and an 'orgasm' of leader points, then the game actually allows it. You can set up custom games against Legendary AI. You can't force others to have fun the same way as you.

When I went to school 'Strategy' as you call it was defined as 'a plan to achieve your overall goal'. In military terms that's to win the battle or the war. In war you don't give up a chance to win if you have it, just to make the war last longer. Too many things can and do go wrong. This only happens in real life when countries strategically prolong war to achieve their actual goal.

Rushing does not take the late game thinking process out of the game. It only does that if you play poorly. Spend anytime watching high level players and you will notice that rushes are usually only designed to stifle eco and very rarely even achieve that. You'll also notice that they happen every game and yet the games still usually go to Tech 3 with lots of back and forth.

In my personal opinion I think there is way more skill and strategy involved in the early game. I would love to hear the inputs from top level players on this. I mean you have to very quickly micro manage starting units, send scouts all around the map, grow your eco at an efficient rate to also build an army to either rush or protect yourself, try for mini steals, take nodes, choose the correct leader powers based on your plan or what you see happening on the map, set up your control groups and put units in hold positions to check for early expansion or over-extending. Later in the game you always have more time and resources to build the correct unit composition.

TLDR; It's a strategy game and online competitive play requires sufficient skill. You don't get to fart about early in the game and then say don't attack me because I'm not ready or I don't know what to do against your strategy. Only YapYap can say 'Don't Shoot Me'.

Alright wise guy, since you’re back already looking into my past game logs and you say I play a lot of 1v1. Prior to last week, maybe even the last two weeks,

My apologies for making assumptions but that doesn't change my point much.

Quote:
If you're going to self admit that you aren't that great, why were you so quick to claim that you can get "easy wins" with deci air? Or that the people in this thread "defending" rushing likely don't have late game skills to back it up? You started the conversation about personal skill by insulting everyone else's in this thread, so don't cry to me about a "personal attack game" when I'm just pointing out that the pot should not be so quick to call the kettle black.

Further, there is plenty of strategy in the early game. In fact, I'd say there is often just as much if not more than the late game. Individual unit micro is so much more important then. Resource/economy management and scouting are also extremely important. Instead of the Infantry/Vehicles/Air triangle you have a Infantry/Rush or specialty infantry/Scout triangle. Watching any high level gameplay shows just how much strategy and skill has to go into T1.

On the other hand, late game is almost the opposite. Very little individual unit micro as you just move around a death ball for the large part. Battles sometimes come down to who gets the better leader power timing and placement.

Quote:
I'm sorry but you are just objectively wrong here. Rushing does not take this imaginary "long thinking process" out of the game. If all you're doing is quick teching and a smart player scouts you, don't complain about being rushed. Don't want to be rushed, scout them and prepare appropriately, rushes can be easily stopped if you bother to learn how to do so. I can't remember who said it originally but basically:
"Long matches are earned not given."

The counter rush, where snipers aren’t unlocked until T2, or the T1 building killer rush. “Oh just scout and build turrets”. Then they kill your turrets. What do I know, I’m a “kid”.
You clearly have no idea what you are talking about. UNSC snipers are T1, and Banished have suicide grunts and strong scout units that all counter rush units.

That time frame certainly isn't my experience of playing and what is the point of that short length of time? I'm playing an RTS, not COD.

A game as short as you are enjoying is an empty one to me and I would rather know sooner rather than later that that is what you want to play and I can quit, let you get your quick win and allow me to look for a more nourishing and satisfying game.
Rushing is a double-edged sword, I have rushed and been rushed plenty. Sometimes it works, other times it doesn't. While I do enjoy long games like a chess match, at times it's not worth it when you see what the enemy has. Would you like to face 2 shipmasters or one?
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not flame or attack other members.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3