Forums / Games / Halo Wars 2

i would rather keep the mines the same

OP DEATH ANGEL1178

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
It's rumor that if you play on highway and go down the middle chokepoint their cries of agony can still be heard.
*Takes off Sergeant's hat, puts right hand over heart*
They're incredibly cheap army wiping nukes. They need the changes.
not our fault you cant move an army before the mines go off

if they are dumb enough to sit there and let your army explode thats on them for not paying attention
It is not always possible to move an army from mines. Just because you ignorant of the fact Spartan Slam and leader point stuns will kill 60 pop too cheaply does not give you the right to call someone dumb. Every spartan leader, Atriox, and Shippy are VERY strong with their mines and needs a fix. Shippy not as much as it is a late game advantage or you dramatically weaken your LP strength early game.
It is not always possible to move an army from mines. Just because you ignorant of the fact Spartan Slam and leader point stuns will kill 60 pop too cheaply does not give you the right to call someone dumb. Every spartan leader, Atriox, and Shippy are VERY strong with their mines and needs a fix. Shippy not as much as it is a late game advantage or you dramatically weaken your LP strength early game.
Curious here, play Let quite often and his own mines do not seem that outstanding. Can you please clarify?
If they take away dropping mines (in real time) on an army then the cloaking detection of mines needs to go as well. Mines need to be completely undetectable.

Otherwise there will be no insentive to use mines at all.
If they take away dropping mines (in real time) on an army then the cloaking detection of mines needs to go as well. Mines need to be completely undetectable.

I feel that would force people to use air since choke points would be trapped with mines.

To me it’s better to take out auto detect for mines and have players forced to shoot them like campaign. It’s a good risk/reward for micro/macro armies and adds a new dynamic instead of AI doing the work for you

I feel that would force people to use air since choke points would be trapped with mines.

To me it’s better to take out auto detect for mines and have players forced to shoot them like campaign. It’s a good risk/reward for micro/macro armies and adds a new dynamic instead of AI doing the work for you
That'd be a decent compromise. Not sure how easy/hard it would be to program that, though.
Postums wrote:
With stuns being reduced to 2.5 seconds, I would rather see how the combos work after the patch rather than nerfing both mines and stuns. It will be sad to see mines fall out of use again.
You will still be able to drop mines in close proximity to units. It just requires an open space where units are not placed to drop them. It's not a huge nerf to them, but just an adjustment to the strategy of them. People will see once it changes.
There is no neee to nerf mines. They are a good tool against Rushes. Especially against colony/forge/johnson rushes.
Postums wrote:
With stuns being reduced to 2.5 seconds, I would rather see how the combos work after the patch rather than nerfing both mines and stuns. It will be sad to see mines fall out of use again.
You will still be able to drop mines in close proximity to units. It just requires an open space where units are not placed to drop them. It's not a huge nerf to them, but just an adjustment to the strategy of them. People will see once it changes.
There is no neee to nerf mines. They are a good tool against Rushes. Especially against colony/forge/johnson rushes.
There is no nerf happening to mines. Just that you can't drop them on units while they are stunned/not moving.
They're incredibly cheap army wiping nukes. They need the changes.
not our fault you cant move an army before the mines go off

if they are dumb enough to sit there and let your army explode thats on them for not paying attention
You are forgetting entirely Stun + mines combo which is what this is aiming to adjust.
Mines shouldn't be abused with stunlocks, but they're pretty much useless without that combo. Plus, the detect range buff to be equal to the unit's line of sight is insane. UNSC sniper detecting mines? Forget putting a single point into mines. I don't even think detect units are THAT hard to get, even in the earlier stages of the game.

Maybe make mines an exception to this detect range? Also, have the detect units move a bit closer to actually detect them. And consider removing units' ability to auto-target mines, or make the mines explode upon destruction. So that you can't mindlessly walk over mined areas care-free, even if you have a detect unit somewhere in the pack. I mean, shouldn't there be an atmosphere of suspense walking through a minefield? Thematically, it shouldn't be "oh I have a detect unit, and my unit cluster can kill them in 2 seconds." Having a single person make huge minefields could be a problem though, so an increase in cooldown would be appropriate.
Postums wrote:
Postums wrote:
Postums wrote:
Postums wrote:
There is no nerf happening to mines. Just that you can't drop them on units while they are stunned/not moving.
Isn't that part of the strategy? That's supposed to be micro. You have to manage your units tactics in order win a battle. You can't win if you only select your units and click attack.
To avoid the hero stun, just disperse your units. Its not hard to avoid that combo.
You said it is not a nerf but you did mention it is not a huge nerf. So it is a nerf.
Postums wrote:
Postums wrote:
Postums wrote:
Postums wrote:
Isn't that part of the strategy? That's supposed to be micro. You have to manage your units tactics in order win a battle. You can't win if you only select your units and click attack.
To avoid the hero stun, just disperse your units. Its not hard to avoid that combo.
You said it is not a nerf but you did mention it is not a huge nerf. So it is a nerf.
LOL
It's using mines in a unintended way, their meant for area denial and defenseive, not dropping then on a stunned army and nuking it.
And no, I can't split with how fast a Spartan jumps on top of me with its huge range.
The reason for the tweak is so that someone doesn't lose a game just because someone used jump pack brutes and scout mine to kill a whole army. Or a spartan slam and lotus mines on an army. Mines shouldn't be abused like this.
The reason for the tweak is so that someone doesn't lose a game just because someone used jump pack brutes and scout mine to kill a whole army. Or a spartan slam and lotus mines on an army. Mines shouldn't be abused like this.
Much agreed. After the proposed changes I feel like those 75/75 price on army wipes will be gone, but mines still might have a role.
Postums wrote:
Postums wrote:
Postums wrote:
Postums wrote:
If you wanna test splitting vs stun+mine combo be my guess. i'll show you that it doesn't help that much.
Postums wrote:
Postums wrote:
Postums wrote:
Postums wrote:
LOL
It's using mines in a unintended way, their meant for area denial and defenseive, not dropping then on a stunned army and nuking it.
And no, I can't split with how fast a Spartan jumps on top of me with its huge range.
You can create multiple squads in your army(group of infantry). The moment you see a spartan/brute thats the noment your start dispersing your infantry. Dispersing is the art of avoiding splash damage. it's all about micro. Not saying is easy but it is a integral part of an RTS that shouldn't be "nerf" because of player's skill.
Postums wrote:
Postums wrote:
Postums wrote:
Postums wrote:
If you wanna test splitting vs stun+mine combo be my guess. i'll show you that it doesn't help that much.
I have been doing this since the beginning of the game. Is not that hard. You can easily avoid it. You can even counter this with the banish teleport. Again, this is not hard just a matter or practice.
Postums wrote:
Postums wrote:
Postums wrote:
Postums wrote:
I'd like to watch this so I can take some notes
Everyone uses mines because is very effective against rushes. And in my opinion unlike other strategy games, in halo wars 2 rushes are not high risk high reward, if your rush fails is not a big impact to your economy, that is the reason why everyone does it. There is no big punishment if your strategy fails.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2