Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo Wars Series

Is Halo Wars 2 worth playing before Infinite?

OP rok9560

Basically title. I know the Banished made their debut in this game, but I never played it before and I was wondering if there is any story significance that will carry over to Infinite. I'm generally pretty awful at RTSs so this one kind of flew under my radar.
Halo Wars 2 is super fun! However, it is very buggy, and the story is somewhat incomplete, considering they had plans for a Halo Wars 3 that got canceled.
I would argue it isn't crucial within the timeframe before Infinite. But if you have the time at some point, give it a go! It is a beautiful game.
It's a terrific game, and you should definitely play it. If you don't love RTS games, or feel you aren't good at them, play it on easy. The game is pretty forgiving.

And you do not need to play Halo Wars 1 to enjoy Halo Wars 2, if you're concerned about that. The first game matters a bit but it won't tie in much to Halo Infinite (it takes place 20 years earlier. Halo Wars 2 takes place roughly speaking at the same time as Halo 5).

And the story is incomplete only if Halo Infinite doesn't pick up some of the threads. Given the way the trailer explicitly mentions the villain in HW2, I assume they are picking up a few threads. Still, shame there is no HW3 coming.
I joined in on the HW2 crazy super late. But, I did eventually join in. I absolutely loved the first game, and the second game didn't disappoint. It was a very enjoyable gameplay experience, updating the beloved gameplay mechanics and exeprience of the first and into a new era of graphical and gameplay fidelity. It's definetly worth your time, especially if you can find the game when it's on sale. As far as RTS games go, it's very easy to get into, and is very forgiving to the player- unless you play on some of the harder difficulties, then it provides a very fair challenge. It's not neccesarily crucial in order to enjoy Infinite, or you could watch a summary on Youtube or the like. But, I would highly recommend the game.
You've all convinced me! I downloaded it last night and will be playing through it (probably on easy mode)
rok9560 wrote:
You've all convinced me! I downloaded it last night and will be playing through it (probably on easy mode)
hope you enjoy it!
rok9560 wrote:
Basically title. I know the Banished made their debut in this game, but I never played it before and I was wondering if there is any story significance that will carry over to Infinite. I'm generally pretty awful at RTSs so this one kind of flew under my radar.
I would if I was you man.. its such a good game and the story wasnt even half bad. Fighting a brand new enemy is so much more interesting.
is Atriox making an appearance in halo infinite?
No-one knows yet. As tanky as the chief is, I don't think he'd stand a chance 1v1 against 'trox
BleauTek wrote:
No-one knows yet. As tanky as the chief is, I don't think he'd stand a chance 1v1 against 'trox
I think that with halo infinite perhaps at first Atriox defeats the chief, but after the chief unlocks new forerunner abilities he returns to challenge Atriox
I personally think that playing through HW2 would be a good Idea or at least watch all the cutscenes on Youtube since it does have the Banished in it and a couple of the Banished leaders which might make appearances in Halo Infinite.
I HIGHLY suggest playing the campaign before Infinite. I also highly recommend reading/listening to Shadows of Reach and Divine Wind books too.