Forums / Games / Halo Wars 2

Is Halo Wars dying?

OP legofan3225

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
I love the game, and play it constantly. But I'm concerned that the player base is dropping off- and rapidly. Currently, IzHere only has 500 players registered on their ranked leaderboard. Are players simply leaving the game? Or will it be as sustainable as HW1 was for years?

Even now, I'm constantly getting matched with the same players. Is this an indication of the health of the game, or just a fluke?
I wouldn't say that it's dying. Personally, I've just had a lack of motivation to play. Others, I can't speak for. It's only a month old. Give it some time.
On PC it is kinda dead
I love the game, and play it constantly. But I'm concerned that the player base is dropping off- and rapidly. Currently, IzHere only has 500 players registered on their ranked leaderboard. Are players simply leaving the game? Or will it be as sustainable as HW1 was for years?

Even now, I'm constantly getting matched with the same players. Is this an indication of the health of the game, or just a fluke?
i wouldnt let the registered memebrs of a third party website dictate the population of a player base. especially since i had no idea what "izhere" was/is until i just searched it.

so no, i do not think the population is dying.
I hope not but it's no longer on the most played games section in the Xbox store........
Hi, now are ranked match, you gona see only guys with same Matchmaking.
I can't find any exact sales numbers, but I'm curious to know how well this game sold. I see that it didn't reach number one in the sales charts (For Honor stayed at number one when HW2 released) but apparently they don't track digital sales, and I'm sure that HW2 sold quite a few digital copies due to getting Halo Wars: Definitive Edition early if you bought digital. RTS is a niche genre, especially on console, but the Halo name probably helped it out somewhat. I wouldn't expect any earth shattering sales numbers and it wouldn't surprise me if the online population declines rather quickly. It isn't going to keep around nearly as many players as the FPS Halo games usually do, and even those games don't retain players like they used to back in the day.
Even the RTS genre on PC isn't doing well, so I doubt the game would have amazing sales but I still think it's done fairly well.
I wouldn't use a third-party website as any indicator of population. Keep in mind that not only is this an RTS game that is centered in the same universe that is catered towards FPS players (console and Halo fans) but it's also a game that sports 6 people max per game. This essentially means that a lower population isn't as big of a deal because the game doesn't NEED as many players. The community is also split between PC and Xbox. I believe cross-play will need to be implemented eventually. And I don't really want to hear the whole, "But muh mouse and keyboard give me such an advantage!" Well, normally that would be true but not in this RTS. This one is fairly simple and when I play on my PC I still use a controller and have beaten some of the top teams with it.

I know I strayed a little off-topic on that but the point is the population is fine. But at some point cross-platform matchmaking will need to be introduced, I do believe.
I can't find any exact sales numbers, but I'm curious to know how well this game sold. I see that it didn't reach number one in the sales charts (For Honor stayed at number one when HW2 released) but apparently they don't track digital sales, and I'm sure that HW2 sold quite a few digital copies due to getting Halo Wars: Definitive Edition early if you bought digital. RTS is a niche genre, especially on console, but the Halo name probably helped it out somewhat. I wouldn't expect any earth shattering sales numbers and it wouldn't surprise me if the online population declines rather quickly. It isn't going to keep around nearly as many players as the FPS Halo games usually do, and even those games don't retain players like they used to back in the day.
i think sold well, but most for refunded because it was unplayable for 4 weeks
I wouldn't use a third-party website as any indicator of population. Keep in mind that not only is this an RTS game that is centered in the same universe that is catered towards FPS players (console and Halo fans) but it's also a game that sports 6 people max per game. This essentially means that a lower population isn't as big of a deal because the game doesn't NEED as many players. The community is also split between PC and Xbox. I believe cross-play will need to be implemented eventually. And I don't really want to hear the whole, "But muh mouse and keyboard give me such an advantage!" Well, normally that would be true but not in this RTS. This one is fairly simple and when I play on my PC I still use a controller and have beaten some of the top teams with it.

I know I strayed a little off-topic on that but the point is the population is fine. But at some point cross-platform matchmaking will need to be introduced, I do believe.
But that third party website does what 343, MS, and CA won't. It gives us the MMR of anyone (which is a way better indicator of skill than you can see from someone's rank alone.

Also I just want to get this streight ok. I thought people can't say something is dead. Like, I thought that is off topic or something. I'm not breaking the rules here in just simply asking if this is ok and why.

But that third party website does what 343, MS, and CA won't. It gives us the MMR of anyone (which is a way better indicator of skill than you can see from someone's rank alone.

Also I just want to get this streight ok. I thought people can't say something is dead. Like, I thought that is off topic or something. I'm not breaking the rules here in just simply asking if this is ok and why.
agree

I am not saying don't use the site or that it's not reliable. We are talking about population not MMR.

The reason I kept this one open is that it's asking a question with open-ended discussion, which obviously has more discussion value than "Halo Wars 2 is dead" as the title followed by some "witty" one-liner as the post. Of course that's bound to be locked.

I am not saying don't use the site or that it's not reliable. We are talking about population not MMR.

The reason I kept this one open is that it's asking a question with open-ended discussion, which obviously has more discussion value than "Halo Wars 2 is dead" as the title followed by some "witty" one-liner as the post. Of course that's bound to be locked.
Ok. I see the difference.

Well 343, MS, and CA don't include population counters (I think 343 is allergic to them) so the site does more than they do in that regard as well.
Well, im playing everyday, no ranked etc. Just plain ol fun with blitz and vs ai. No problem with finding players on any mode.
The third party website doesn't have every player in the list. For some you have to search their gamertag and then it adds them. So no I don't think its dead at all. I never have any trouble finding a game, even late at night.
Well thats what happens when team of friends stomp randoms. They just leave to play other games For Halo Wars 2 to survive they need to implement random player playlists no parties/or join friends allowed..
I don't know, but I am loving the game thought! Other people missing out I guess
Not shipping with a forgemap/map editor and custom games list was a big mistake Imo. Those features have been a staple of PC RTS since the 90s and shipping without it was a big step back. There is a lot of potential with this game but if they don't allow the community to make use of that potential it will fail and only when they eventually release an editor after they give up on trying to monetize customization will this game get a cult following/molding community. That some RTS developers still don't understand what RTS communities want is the reason so many RTS games fail today.
I can't find players in 3/4 of the playlists on PC. People say that a game is still alive as long as you can still find players. So...
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2