Forums / Games / Halo Wars Series

Johnson Bunkers

OP FungusUCantKill

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
Updated: 5/8
Johnson isn't a major balance issue, because there are other, more dire things happening at the moment. However, Avery has consistently been underwhelming, although he has definitely come a long way.
At present, I think his mechs are fine. They do great. Perhaps the Colossi upgrade should be reworked, but it's fine. Unfortunately, mechs are all you can do with him, really. Flamer rush is optional with his resto drones, but, afterwards, you have to go mechs.

So, I believe that the key to making Johnson a real leader in this game, aside from complete LP changes like a mech drop (which I don't think can be added), is to look at the bunker. The bunker is key to making Johnson a good leader.

Here are just some thoughts for improving the bunker. Some may be possible, some may not. Let me know your thoughts, concerns, problems, supports, delights, fears, desires, and whatever else, if you wish:

1.General health increase.
2.Shield added for drop at pt1 and shield increased at pt 2
3.Siphon ability from Digging in added to bunkers and units inside
4.Pt 2 lets you drop 2 bunkers
5.Bunkers should stun on impact (they do not atm)
6.Mines should not be able to drop on bunkers.
7.Bunkers should come with a mini turret on them, to add to their damage (why not?)
8.Bunkers could be upgradable by individual purchase (like Pavs mega turrets)
9.Bunker cost should decrease more with digging in upgrades
10.Fort upgrades should upgrade bunkers too (do they?)
11. CT marines inside bunkers should be able to heal the bunker

Aside from this, digging in could have some changes too. Maybe make fort upgrades cheaper?
Sounds cool! I would actually use bunker more if they had those changes.
I really like the idea of adding a mini-turret on top. (kinda like elephants from HW1)
Hi,
I recently started playing Johnson and I think he is a bit underrated, but I agree about giving his bunker some improvements (as you said, not considering other priorities).
These are my thoughts about your 10 points:
1, 2 and 3. Agreed if only one of these is implemented, otherwise I think it could be too much.
4. Agreed if this would replace the actual effect of the passive.
5. Agreed.
6. Agreed, I think mines shouldn't even be detonated by buildings.
7. I don't agree with this because I think it would make power nodes too easy to defend.
8. I don't know about this, it depends on costs and effects of the upgrades.
9. This is the first thing I would change about Johnson. At the moment both price and cooldown reductions to bunker and turret drops are not worth a leader point (level 1 for bunker it's a price reduction from 350/0 to 300/0 and a 10 seconds faster cooldown). Diggin in is only useful for the siphon effect, but if you want to go bunker it's better to take the heal.
10. Yes, I think they do.

Thanks for reading!
Johnson isn't a major balance issue, because there are other, more dire things happening at the moment. However, Avery has consistently been underwhelming, although he has definitely come a long way.
At present, I think his mechs are fine. They do great. Perhaps the Colossi upgrade should be reworked, but it's fine. Unfortunately, mechs are all you can do with him, really. Flamer rush is optional with his resto drones, but, afterwards, you have to go mechs.

So, I believe that the key to making Johnson a real leader in this game, aside from complete LP changes like a mech drop (which I don't think can be added), is to look at the bunker. The bunker is key to making Johnson a good leader.

Here are just some thoughts for improving the bunker. Some may be possible, some may not. Let me know your thoughts, concerns, problems, supports, delights, fears, desires, and whatever else, if you wish:

6.Bunkers should not get wrecked by mines dropped on them (i've heard this is true. If not, lemme know)
7.Bunkers should come with a mini turret on them, to add to their damage (why not?)

Aside from this, digging in could have some changes too. Maybe make fort upgrades cheaper?
1,2,10: They should make Fortifications upgrades increase the health/shields. Last I checked they did not.
3: Maybe. I've heard Pavium does that when inside, but I think that might be too much for any unit.
4: Interesting. If you can choose the locations separately, I'd be a fan. Lvl 1 bunkers also need to have the Lvl 2 upgrades applied to them automatically.
5: I believe they were looking into it.
6: I thought they changed mines to prevent direct dropping? Might be an oversight, but should be changed.
7: Unlikley. Designing a whole new unit at that point.
8: Unlikely. Would have to design, test, and balance. Then UI issues for adding new options and localizing to all languages.
9: Agreed. I've suggested 20/40% in the past, as well as improving the cooldown timer reductions.

In addition, they still need the ability to let Combat Tech Marines heal them/heal nearby units when inside, like they do with Mastodons. I know garrisoned CT Marines don't repair either, so that should probably be enabled as well to help and make things more consistent.
EDIT:

I see you already covered mines in your list. Carry on.
In full agreement here, it'd be a neat point of decision for johnson, as he'd be able to decide to play mobile with mechs and pelican transport, or hunker down in an infantry style of play with improved bunkers. Ship it.
To say the least, these changes would be over-tuning it. Not sure if you're trolling, but everything you're asking for is completely over the top. It's already an excellent area denial power, from early to mid-game. I actually play quite a bit of Johnson too. Bunker drop definitely doesn't need a buff.
Tested it today, you can definitely still drop mines on bunkers :/
The bunker is fine as it is, it's a pain to deal with anyways. I do agree you shouldn't be able to drop mines on them though.
Give Johnson a Leader drop... 3 Veteran mantises and 1 Colossus
I too want every leader to be shipmaster
This!
His ultimate is not very useful anyway imo. By that time you want something explosive, not an economy boost.
While I would love for this to be a thing, I'm not sure how likely it is to get a total LP change. In an ideal world, his ultimate might be a super-unit mech, a super-command bunker, or two vet Colossi.
Unfortunately, even with a good ult drop, he would still suffer in the early game. That's why I think that buffing the bunker is the way to go.
To say the least, these changes would be over-tuning it. Not sure if you're trolling, but everything you're asking for is completely over the top. It's already an excellent area denial power, from early to mid-game. I actually play quite a bit of Johnson too. Bunker drop definitely doesn't need a buff.
I'm definitely not trolling. The bunker is bad in MP.
I should clarify though that I'm not suggesting all 10 of those points be implemented. Rather, I'm saying each is an option for buffing the bunker in different ways. So, maybe 1 or 2 of those suggestions, not all 10.
AYF 001 wrote:
1,2,10: They should make Fortifications upgrades increase the health/shields. Last I checked they did not.
3: Maybe. I've heard Pavium does that when inside, but I think that might be too much for any unit.
4: Interesting. If you can choose the locations separately, I'd be a fan. Lvl 1 bunkers also need to have the Lvl 2 upgrades applied to them automatically.
5: I believe they were looking into it.
6: I thought they changed mines to prevent direct dropping? Might be an oversight, but should be changed.
7: Unlikley. Designing a whole new unit at that point.
8: Unlikely. Would have to design, test, and balance. Then UI issues for adding new options and localizing to all languages.
9: Agreed. I've suggested 20/40% in the past, as well as improving the cooldown timer reductions.

In addition, they still need the ability to let Combat Tech Marines heal them/heal nearby units when inside, like they do with Mastodons. I know garrisoned CT Marines don't repair either, so that should probably be enabled as well to help and make things more consistent.
I wasn't aware that CT Marines don't heal the bunker. I'll add that note.
Appreciate the feedback!
Malcatrazz wrote:
His ultimate is not very useful anyway
Seems like someone's never played Johnson 🤔
Malcatrazz wrote:
If you compare his ultimate to other ultimates it's really not very good. On paper it's sounds good, but in reality it's kind of meh. One problem is that turrets are not free even if they are base buildings. On the other hand I rather have a grizzly drop,close air support and so on , cause they are very viable and can be used in lots of situations. Also they can turn the tide of battle. Johnson's ultimate just works when you did something wrong , like loosing a mini base or a base. So it's very situational and I rather pick another of his (except 2) Shi tty leaderpowers.
Malcatrazz wrote:
If you compare his ultimate to other ultimates it's really not very good. On paper it's sounds good, but in reality it's kind of meh. One problem is that turrets are not free even if they are base buildings. On the other hand I rather have a grizzly drop,close air support and so on , cause they are very viable and can be used in lots of situations. Also they can turn the tide of battle. Johnson's ultimate just works when you did something wrong , like loosing a mini base or a base. So it's very situational and I rather pick another of his (except 2) Shi tty leaderpowers.
DID should always be your 5th point. Late game Johnson can expand all across the map and spam gens for free. How is this not as good as other 12 o'clocks? Grizzlies can turn a battle. Pelicans can break a base. But they both cost something. DID is free and is virtually unlimited power. That is very good in any circumstance.
Malcatrazz wrote:
I don't agree. I think Johnson's ultimate is useless only if you can't expand, but in that case you are in a bad position anyway. Instead if you have at least one expansion you can put 3-5 generators (which normally would cost around 5000 supplies) on it and start upgrading everything. If you can secure three bases with that ultimate I think it's almost a winning position. Honestly I prefer digging in rather than CAS or grizzly drop.
Updated: 5/8Johnson isn't a major balance issue, because there are other, more dire things happening at the moment. However, Avery has consistently been underwhelming, although he has definitely come a long way.

6.Mines should not be able to drop on bunkers.
11. CT marines inside bunkers should be able to heal the bunker

I think they should add a stun to the drop of the bunker. The radius would need to be decent though. I would like to see Remote Sensor get buffed and Digging in is useless atm. So buffing Digging in would be nice, such as a slow heal to buildings with the siphon to turrets would be awesome! Just like Full salvage except no full refunds but you get siphon turrets! I still feel ppl will go Mechs only and thats because of mech overcharge combined with the versatility of them. Mechs are OK vs everything.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2