Forums / Games / Halo Wars Series

Just for fun - Ranked A.I playlist

OP Dein Exfreund

Hey everyone!

Would like to share a more or less competetive idea.

Many People Play Halo Wars 2 versus AI - so how about making versus AI Ranked? I'm really sure many versus AI Players like the idea and it would be fun to Rank up in a less competetive playlist
Ranked is not a mechanic designed around getting "rank up points," it's about getting appropriately matchmade. Playing matches to dynamically determine your skill level against other players. Ranked does literally nothing for a playlist where you face AI, as at any particular moment you can go to Skirmish and do a 1v1 vs the AI to determine your skill against them. It would be like... the participation trophy of ranked...
I like the idea if they used your rank to determine the AI's difficulty level.
Perhaps it could be like a gauntlet system, every time you defeat an AI, the next AI will get certain buffs or skulls will be added or it just simply get a higher difficulty. Or just have player vs AI with no change just with ranked functions slapped into the picture, I'm not sure.
Ranked is not a mechanic designed around getting "rank up points," it's about getting appropriately matchmade. Playing matches to dynamically determine your skill level against other players. Ranked does literally nothing for a playlist where you face AI, as at any particular moment you can go to Skirmish and do a 1v1 vs the AI to determine your skill against them. It would be like... the participation trophy of ranked...
Determine my skill Level against other Players? Well since i got matched against everyone from non Ranked to Champion, the whole System is a joke
Determine my skill Level against other Players? Well since i got matched against everyone from non Ranked to Champion, the whole System is a joke
The last time you played ranked was like 3 months ago, and you did like 10 matches with friends who were unranked, so of course your matches will fluctuate considering their placement was still being determined. Most of them were fairly well matchmade at that. In fact I went through every page of your available match history (About a year) and counted maybe 15 ranked matches (Though its recording is dubious as there needed to be at least 10 more for it to make sense in the most recent case). The matchmaking system seems to work pretty well when not at either extremity. A 1v1 silver smurf I have that I do dumb things on generally gets put against other silvers, golds, and bronzes. When on my main originally working from the initial diamond up into onyx I was getting what you would expect, mostly diamonds, a few platinums and onyx's, and occasional champs. Onyx/Champ players in 3v3/2v2 generally have poor matches because there simply isn't a large enough population of peer teams, but I also watch a lot of lower ranked streams and they generally get decent matches the majority of the time. However, even in the extreme high end skill cases, whenever two high end teams are searching it pretty much automatically matches them.

Other issues with Vs AI ranked is, even if the difficulty scales with rank, how do you adjust that with varying skill teammates? The answer is you can't very effectively and instead you can just, you know, go to skirmish and tweak the difficulty to your liking that way. I do wish they had an "automatic" difficulty like in the original but that still wouldn't translate well to "ranked."
Other issues with Vs AI ranked is, even if the difficulty scales with rank, how do you adjust that with varying skill teammates?
I don't think it would be that hard to come up with a system, as it's always 1 AI per player just match each one. For example
diamond+ = legendary
plat= heroic
Gold = normal, etc

so if two diamonds and a gold queue for vs AI, then make the AI 2 legendary and one normal. None of this will happen, the game is passed its cycle, but I still think it's a good idea
Zildjians wrote:
Other issues with Vs AI ranked is, even if the difficulty scales with rank, how do you adjust that with varying skill teammates?
I don't think it would be that hard to come up with a system, as it's always 1 AI per player just match each one. For example
diamond+ = legendary
plat= heroic
Gold = normal, etc

so if two diamonds and a gold queue for vs AI, then make the AI 2 legendary and one normal. None of this will happen, the game is passed its cycle, but I still think it's a good idea
The problem is you can just do this in skirmish. AI are fixed in difficulty, you don't need a matchmaking system to find you accurate AI matches between 4 difficuties. Again, ranked isn't about points, it's about progressively matching your skill to others dynamically, and beating up on static-skill AI to grind rank seems incredibly silly.
Zildjians wrote:
The problem is you can just do this in skirmish.
By your argument, a vs. AI list shouldn't exist at all. But it does, its populated, people enjoy it, so that is a moot point -- people do come here and post the default 'heroic' difficulty is too high. And people come to the boards and post that the 'heroic' difficulty is too low.

And if you look at their service records, you find that they are both correct. This would be a solution. It wont happen, but its a good idea.
They could bring back automatic A.I that they had in Halo Wars 1.
Kind of off topic, but it would be cool if when someone disconnects from your game in 2v2 or 3v3 they would be replaced with an AI. That way you do not automatically lose at the beginning of the match if a disconnect happens.
Kind of off topic, but it would be cool if when someone disconnects from your game in 2v2 or 3v3 they would be replaced with an AI. That way you do not automatically lose at the beginning of the match if a disconnect happens.
Maybe in Team War but obviously not ranked. Depending in the difficulty of the AI added it could literally be more efficient for you team for the weaker one or two players to DC. If you made an AI team that constantly searches, made of Legendary AI, no joke that team would probably rank up into low-mid platinum.