Forums / Games / Halo Wars 2

Leader abilities are honestly breaking this game.h

OP COMMANDAKUCKLES

Okay so. I loved halo wars so much I found that game so enjoyable. I was so hyped for halo wars 2. And I love that game too I've enjoyed everything about it. But, it is so annoying and I am so sick of building a huge army that is fully upgraded and it getting wiped out completely. Either by a destructive leader ability that is faster then all my units. Or by one that I cannot get out of the AOE before it goes out. I love the thought of building a huge army and fighting it against another huge army. And all I see on this game is spamming 1 or 2 types of units. Then spamming leader abilities like destructive ones. I love ones that give your army a boost. But it just. It ruins the fun and destroys the game completely when one can wipe your army out with 2 clicks and there isn' anything you can do about it. And by the time you rebuild your army. There abilities have recharged so they can wipe you plus rush you with there units. Like how do I counter that? Not attack? Its impossible !?!!! Halo wars 1 there was like 1 destructive ability for each leader and it dealt good damage to an army but didnt wipe it the heck out. It needs to Nerf all of them
leader powers are balanced, there is more of them than units.
forse you can try to strategize and attack from different positions or just spread your units instead go attacking in mass??
forse you can try to strategize and attack from different positions or just spread your units instead go attacking in mass??
I tried that also. But nothing changed. He was atriox so he has the glassing beam or whatever its called and the eradication beam.
Leaders destructive abilities aren' balanced some of them are but using enduring salvo and eradication beam for example. They can wipe out an army without really having time to escape it. Especially the eradication beam. No leader should have 1 ability that pretty much wipe an army especially when the army is mixed and fully upgraded
Leaders destructive abilities aren' balanced some of them are but using enduring salvo and eradication beam for example. They can wipe out an army without really having time to escape it. Especially the eradication beam. No leader should have 1 ability that pretty much wipe an army especially when the army is mixed and fully upgraded
I disagree with this I think such powers later in the game should be available. But not early on. So long as they are avoidable with good reaction speed. Which is not always the case with all them but with eradication I defiantly think it’s fair.
I disagree with this I think such powers later in the game should be available. But not early on. So long as they are avoidable with good reaction speed. Which is not always the case with all them but with eradication I defiantly think it’s fair.
I agree if it is avoidable thats fair enough but a solid 98% of the time it isnt. Especially when you have slow units. Most battles I've had in this game. They attack me or I attack them. They leader ability my army so its near to gone if not gone then they send there army and I can't do anything
I don’t have a problem with any leader powers as I can split, like if you do that before most engagements leader powers don’t do much, the only one I have a problem with is the retard beam, any kid can use the lvl 3, and it wipes armies as it’s too fast, strong and has too big of an aoe.
I don't find a problem with leader powers, there is always a way around them, for a small example, using units that fire from a distance of your small army units which you use as a distraction.
Well, you can turn leader powers off in customs so you could enjoy the large army battles there. Perhaps that one day could be worked into a playlist like rumble.
Well to start this definitely is not Halo Wars 1. This is Halo Wars 2 where every leader has multiple leader powers within there toolkits. It is possible to turn them off as others have suggested in custom games.

New Game types are things players have requested within our wish list thread in the past, so having a "hardcore" non-leader power non-mini-map game hopper could be something in the future where it all comes down to unit play.

But for core death match, leader powers need to be balanced effectively for the leaders. Which ones do you feel the too strong in general or even too weak?
Postums wrote:
Well to start this definitely is not Halo Wars 1. This is Halo Wars 2 where every leader has multiple leader powers within there toolkits. It is possible to turn them off as others have suggested in custom games.

New Game types are things players have requested within our wish list thread in the past, so having a "hardcore" non-leader power non-mini-map game hopper could be something in the future where it all comes down to unit play.

But for core death match, leader powers need to be balanced effectively for the leaders. Which ones do you feel the too strong in general or even too weak?
On the whole, the dev team has done a great job at balancing leader powers so far. There have been some annoying flukes like Kinsano nukes, Colony Barrier exploits and the recent glassing beam debacle. Still good though.

Here's a few leader powers that could use some adjustments in my opinion.

Anders - A look in to some kind of nerf for sentinel beacon, something super small. I suggest reducing the health of the sentinel that appears from the artillery hit.

Forge - This may not exactly be a leader power, but make Forge's grizzly tanks immune to negative status effects such as ice, infusion, methane, etc. This will make them not literally come to a standstill when stuck in ice and infusion, and it makes the grizzly tank feel more like a 'tank' than the scorpions, which it should, as well as open up more late game variety with certain matchups.

Atriox - Bring down the mines dropped from JPB countermeasures to 75% slow, not 85%

Shipmaster - Make Banished Raid only cost 2 leader points and carry the other point to the Advanced Cloaking passive, where the third point grants a small siphon to all units who are cloaked or would be cloaked if there wasn't a hostile detector nearby. This would mean shrouds, marauders, grunts, honor guard, and cloaking generators would either grant or be granted a siphon that is perhaps half the strength of mass cloaking's siphon, something that even if you are being detected your cloaking abilities still have a use. This expensive buy could greatly improve the low tier state of Shipmaster as well as give a bigger reason to build his shrouds and make his grunts and marauders essentially have a y ability that activates a small siphon no matter what, as well as a possible permanent siphon to the honor guard who is still the worst hero in the game. Once glassing beam is brought in to alignment, Shipmaster is gonna need something to retain his viability after all.

Kinsano - Small damage buff to the Incendiary Archer Missiles.

Colony - Small buff to vehicle symbiotes

Jerome - Moderate buff to Enduring Salvo I's damage, not so much if not no more buffs to ES II's damage.

Arbiter - Very small damage nerf to Rage at each tier.

YapYap - Remove stun from Shade Turret drop.

Serina - Cryotech Advances needs two points invested in to it to receive the Power Node ice fields and the ice aura around her turrets. Take this point from Cryo Bomb because Cryo Bomb is already good at CB I and II, I don't know any reason why someone should get CB III, and compile the radius buffs respectively when removing CB III so that CB I is bigger and CB II is as big as CB III would be. The point of this is that some maps, such as Fissures on 2v2, make Serina's ice Power Nodes too effective.

Those are my thoughts and opinions.
Postums wrote:

On the whole, the dev team has done a great job at balancing leader powers so far. There have been some annoying flukes like Kinsano nukes, Colony Barrier exploits and the recent glassing beam debacle. Still good though.

Here's a few leader powers that could use some adjustments in my opinion.

Anders - A look in to some kind of nerf for sentinel beacon, something super small. I suggest reducing the health of the sentinel that appears from the artillery hit.

Forge - This may not exactly be a leader power, but make Forge's grizzly tanks immune to negative status effects such as ice, infusion, methane, etc. This will make them not literally come to a standstill when stuck in ice and infusion, and it makes the grizzly tank feel more like a 'tank' than the scorpions, which it should, as well as open up more late game variety with certain matchups.

Atriox - Bring down the mines dropped from JPB countermeasures to 75% slow, not 85%

Shipmaster - Make Banished Raid only cost 2 leader points and carry the other point to the Advanced Cloaking passive, where the third point grants a small siphon to all units who are cloaked or would be cloaked if there wasn't a hostile detector nearby. This would mean shrouds, marauders, grunts, honor guard, and cloaking generators would either grant or be granted a siphon that is perhaps half the strength of mass cloaking's siphon, something that even if you are being detected your cloaking abilities still have a use. This expensive buy could greatly improve the low tier state of Shipmaster as well as give a bigger reason to build his shrouds and make his grunts and marauders essentially have a y ability that activates a small siphon no matter what, as well as a possible permanent siphon to the honor guard who is still the worst hero in the game. Once glassing beam is brought in to alignment, Shipmaster is gonna need something to retain his viability after all.

Kinsano - Small damage buff to the Incendiary Archer Missiles.

Colony - Small buff to vehicle symbiotes

Jerome - Moderate buff to Enduring Salvo I's damage, not so much if not no more buffs to ES II's damage.

Arbiter - Very small damage nerf to Rage at each tier.

YapYap - Remove stun from Shade Turret drop.

Serina - Cryotech Advances needs two points invested in to it to receive the Power Node ice fields and the ice aura around her turrets. Take this point from Cryo Bomb because Cryo Bomb is already good at CB I and II, I don't know any reason why someone should get CB III, and compile the radius buffs respectively when removing CB III so that CB I is bigger and CB II is as big as CB III would be. The point of this is that some maps, such as Fissures on 2v2, make Serina's ice Power Nodes too effective.

Those are my thoughts and opinions.
I never said all leader abilities are overpowered but the destructive ones are defiantly OP one ability that can wipe out an army without enough time to avoid it? A whole army at max upgardes ? Thats broken in many aspects I love most leader abilitys except for those ones. they need longer cool down time. they need to take longer to get and they need to do less daamage
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not create alternate accounts to bypass forum bans. Alternate accounts will be permanently banned, and offending users will be subject to both temporary and permanent bans.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
I would have to agree with knuckles some leader abilities are op some are too weak