Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo Wars Series

Leader help/tips

OP ReformedDOG 666

Kind of new to the game and I've been using Colony since I started the game but I keep having some troubles:

- Cuttler/Forge rushes with snipers and flamers: it's kind of unfair that they can get snipers in T1 and the fact that Rangers are squishy and weak in comparison). I always scout around minute 3 - 4 and prepare 2 raid camps with some kamikazes but most die to snipers and they end up taking control of the map since most rush counters are a defense that mostly focuses on your only base. This might be my main source of headaches.
- Air spam: I normally make 6 to 8 Reavers after minute 10 paired with 4 - 6 engineers but despite that, mass air always destroys my units even when I prioritize their healers.
- Lack of leader guides in general: The only ones I 've seen are 2 or plus years old.

I normally do a mix of Air/Vehicle or Air/Infantry since I find banished to be squishy and Engineers help but I find it quite restrictive since Banished core units/Infantry (except Hunters) are objectively awful.

I have seen some videos of gameplay to get an idea and, while thay have helped, I find it frustrating that they never give even the tiniest bit of attention to building/improvement order and instead focus on the micro which I believe is something you get more in practice and not in theory.

Any tips?
This. I don't really understand the purpose of banished infrantry too much. Hunters are great later counters to vehicles, but the rest are.. meh?

I don't even understand the need for Elite Infrantry. Their sole purpose is anti-infrantry, but by the time you get them it doesn't even really matter because no one's using that much infantry anymore.
Suicide grunts are great against marines and grunts, they get annihilated by snipers.

Your mistake is scouting at the 3-4 minute mark, that is too late for you to react. You have to scout at the 2 minute mark, it is around that time when enemies finish their bases or hunt for minibase control.

Getting two raid camps early to counter infantry is a total waste and will leave you behind in economy. One raid camp is more than enough to beat any infantry ball.

IF the enemy is getting so many snipers then there's no infantry that can save you, your best choice is to go Choppers, snipers cannot attack choppers or buildings, so, you can go choppers and just delete them from the map, OR you can bunker down and rush T2. Snipers require A LOT of power, so the enemy is sacrificing tech speed in order to pump out snipers.

Banished units are not squishy if you upgrade them frequently and support them with engineers and shrouds.

Against air, you have to scout all the time, make sure you spot his airpads/apex if you just wait till he has a huge ball of air then your 6/8 reavers won't be of much help, you have to start producing reavers as soon as you know he's going air, now usually showing up with a couple reavers while he's building up his army will make the enemy reconsider. So don't always make your whole army counter units.

If you're Banished and are struggling against air, remember that the cloak generator will protect your base from air units, and if he gets detectors then his air units will be so slow that your reavers will catch them.
DcsealCMB wrote:
This. I don't really understand the purpose of banished infrantry too much. Hunters are great later counters to vehicles, but the rest are.. meh?

I don't even understand the need for Elite Infrantry. Their sole purpose is anti-infrantry, but by the time you get them it doesn't even really matter because no one's using that much infantry anymore.
Elite rangers are cheap on pop they will counter every single hero unit in the game.
Brute jump packs will net you minibases from the enemy faster than any other unit early game.
Suicide grunts are deadly early game.

Every unit has its purpose. You can't just pour them in your army and ALL UNITS all the time expecting them to work.
DcsealCMB wrote:

Elite rangers are cheap on pop they will counter every single hero unit in the game.
Brute jump packs will net you minibases from the enemy faster than any other unit early game.
Suicide grunts are deadly early game.

Every unit has its purpose. You can't just pour them in your army and ALL UNITS all the time expecting them to work.
This is true. I did just shrekt some heroes with elite rangers so I take that one back.
ReformedDOG 666 There are a lot of great tips here but I haven't seen anyone mention the scouting. If you scout earlier, you will be able to gain intel and prepare if there is a rush a lot sooner.