Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo Wars Series

Lifeless Halo Wars 2 maps

OP Archus aK

Does anyone else feel like maps in HW2 are lifeless compared to HW1?
I remember all the interesting parts of the maps in the original halo wars and wonder why halo wars 2 doesn't have the same things. The garrison that activated a shield gate was so fun to use. In HW2 all you have are power points and nothing else. Halo wars 2 is a really fun game but I think they dropped the ball when it comes to map design.
I kind of like that HW2 maps don't change too much about the gameplay of each game.

The map that changes gameplay the most, Sentry, is by far my least favorite map in the game. It completely upends whatever strategy you came to the game with and draws out games forever.
Archus aK wrote:
Does anyone else feel like maps in HW2 are lifeless compared to HW1?
I remember all the interesting parts of the maps in the original halo wars and wonder why halo wars 2 doesn't have the same things. The garrison that activated a shield gate was so fun to use. In HW2 all you have are power points and nothing else. Halo wars 2 is a really fun game but I think they dropped the ball when it comes to map design.
The biggest downfall of HW2 was the map. Halo Wars 1 had unique map aspects like the Mega Turret on Tundra, the Life Support Pods on Beasley's Plateau, the walls on Fort Deen. Halo Wars 2 barely has these things just annoying Power Nodes everywhere.
I do find them to feel a little Artificial but I don't mind it too much because I try focusing on the game, if they do a Halo Wars 3 I hope they make the Maps feel like Halo Wars 1.
This has been my complaint since the game came out, but HW2 plays a whole lot different then HW1, and to give them the benefit of the doubt, they are on the Ark, maps fit the settings. Where HW1 took us everywhere from Arcadia to shield worlds
I get what you’re saying but I’ve got to say I love Bedrock on HW2, that’s a great map!
Yeah, I really liked halo wars 2 and it's diversity of units, but the maps are really disappointing. If the maps were like HW1 maps then 2 would be my favorite halo wars but the maps just don't have anything to them. They're plain, lifeless, and don't have any good tactical advantages.
Yeah, I really liked halo wars 2 and it's diversity of units, but the maps are really disappointing. If the maps were like HW1 maps then 2 would be my favorite halo wars but the maps just don't have anything to them. They're plain, lifeless, and don't have any good tactical advantages.
Disagree with your first sentence but yeah, the maps should have unique setups where units can gain advantages. In the first campaign mission you have small cliffs where warthogs can jump over but these are no where else in the entire game for some reason.