Forums / Games / Halo Wars Series

Long Term Unfixed Issues

OP XxDynamicJerkyX

Let me start off by saying I appreciate the hard work the devs have done on balancing but I believe these issues should be heavily focused for the next update.
I play on an original Xbox One
All of these issues have been present for multiple seasons

--Crashing resulting in massive rank loss, sometimes as much as 60-70%. I have a 62% win rate this season and dropped 3 ranks so far ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

--Grunts/Marines sometimes still will not collect crates until after multiple prompts to do so

--Awful matchmaking algorithm. Why should I be placed with very low ranks competitive rank wise when I'm diamond?? Teams are often extremely unbalanced resulting in most games being a sweep for one team or the other.

--Sometimes when picking through units at the bottom of the screen from all units a different unit will move from what I have highlighted. Very annoying when a hunter captain ends up taunting an entire army and dying when you were trying to activate an engineer shield for the opposite effect. I believe this issue is related to the GUI updating slower than the actual unit selection. Sometimes it is very slow and clunky.

--Units sometimes will waste a large amount of time walking in circles or back and forth (especially melee) when told to attack buildings or attempting to move through a tight area. Sometimes you can queue movements up that should take units through a tight location but they still will for some reason act like they cannot fit through.

These issues have been around for many seasons and have a extremely negative impact on the game. Above all the Halo Franchise (and this particular game) is heavily based on Xbox One. There is no reason for the level of crashing and poor optimization that is present at the moment on halo's flagship console. I cannot speak for PC stability of the game. Also I would love to see the ability to drop leader powers on terrain so that air cannot sit on mountains or over ravines to avoid LPs. Why can't I mac a mountain? Makes no sense from a game play or theoretical standpoint.

Update: I also forgot to add in invisible leader powers. Annoys me to no end when I look back at a fight and it takes me a few seconds to realize the opposing army has a heal dropped on it that I just can't see. A few seconds is huge when LPs wipe entire armies like nothing in this game.
Almost all these issues you named can not be fixed right now without a major rework to the pathing.
The Teams issue can't be fixed since the game is balanced around 1s.
I agree 100% OP. I've been posting since season 1 some of these issues and they still never have and probably won't be fixed 🤔
Another long-term unfixed issue for me is that the game loses it's settings. This happens every other day.
The main changes I make are switching the d-pad (so default = groups), turning off vibration, showing health on units and toning the HDR brightness down.
So they are kinda important to me.

I also experience pathfinding issues, mostly in the first minutes where e.g. marines will walk halfway to a crate and just stop.
Fortunately I never have crashes (on the One X) though my teammates sometimes do.
I am pretty sure it is not that hard to go into the maps coding for spawning obtainable supplies and move them a little away from the edge. It’s not like we are asking for the art department to touch up textures on the map. If that does get changed it would be crazy convenient and awesome if each bundle of supplies be treated as 1 bundle with varying wait times to fully collect instead it being like 2-3+ bundles to be collected. HW1 people already know where I am going with this... with that implementation, we would be able to waypoint obtainable supplies and energy😃😃.

First off off love the first list of issues, I only have slight pathing conveniences to ask.

Increase automatic cap/decap range of marines and grunts a hair(actual distance recommendations anyone?). A single marine seems very responsive for capturing nodes while a grunt seems very confused for a solid 5+ seconds standing practically right on it.

Either modify pathing of infantry to better detect obtainable supplies off of map boundaries, or modify resource locations near map edges to be somewhat more inbounds. This adjustment is more aptly for resources near ledges, and other steep terrain.

I’m not going to demand a full rework in pathing, but there really should be an investigation as to why melee units supersede targeting to other opposing units instead of the targeted structure(as an example)
I am pretty sure it is not that hard to go into the maps coding for spawning obtainable supplies and move them a little away from the edge. It’s not like we are asking for the art department to touch up textures on the map. If that does get changed it would be crazy convenient and awesome if each bundle of supplies be treated as 1 bundle with varying wait times to fully collect instead it being like 2-3+ bundles to be collected. HW1 people already know where I am going with this... with that implementation, we would be able to waypoint obtainable supplies and energy😃😃.

First off off love the first list of issues, I only have slight pathing conveniences to ask.

Increase automatic cap/decap range of marines and grunts a hair(actual distance recommendations anyone?). A single marine seems very responsive for capturing nodes while a grunt seems very confused for a solid 5+ seconds standing practically right on it.

Either modify pathing of infantry to better detect obtainable supplies off of map boundaries, or modify resource locations near map edges to be somewhat more inbounds. This adjustment is more aptly for resources near ledges, and other steep terrain.

I’m not going to demand a full rework in pathing, but there really should be an investigation as to why melee units supersede targeting to other opposing units instead of the targeted structure(as an example)
Cant agree more. Especially about moving the supply crates. For anyone who understands objects, they have a set x and y. And the issues are around the map. Theyve moved and fixed supplies before when there was more then was supposed to be on ashes, why not take the time to fix the rest of it
Quote:
Almost all these issues you named can not be fixed right now without a major rework to the pathing.
The Teams issue can't be fixed since the game is balanced around 1s.
That's incorrect as only 2 of the 5 issues I mentioned deal with pathing at all. Balancing around 1v1s should have no effect on the matchmaking system used for 2v2s and 3v3s. The pathing is the least of my worries on this list. I would be very happy if they made the all unit selection more responsive, implemented an actual matchmaking system based on the already in game ranks and fixed the crashing issues on original Xbox One. Hell even if the game crashed half as often it would be an outstanding improvement. I shouldn't have to buy a One X just to play the game crash free.
Don’t forget how Ultimate Edition owners got screwed by lawyer talk and were not given access to Awakening the Nightmare since they consider it an “expansion” and not “campaign DLC.”
tuhin94 wrote:
Don’t forget how Ultimate Edition owners got screwed by lawyer talk and were not given access to Awakening the Nightmare since they consider it an “expansion” and not “campaign DLC.”
I heard your kind were gone, but guess you just hide in plain sight
tuhin94 wrote:
I heard your kind were gone, but guess you just hide in plain sight
Don’t worry, I still don’t expect your unpleasant kind to stand in favor of gamers.
tuhin94 wrote:
tuhin94 wrote:
Don’t worry, I still don’t expect your unpleasant kind to stand in favor of gamers.
I only stand against gamers.

ALWAYS
Ruzylo wrote:

Cant agree more. Especially about moving the supply crates. For anyone who understands objects, they have a set x and y. And the issues are around the map. Theyve moved and fixed supplies before when there was more then was supposed to be on ashes, why not take the time to fix the rest of it
I understand moving an object or such is an easy task, but that is all back-end code that they would have to go through processes to manipulate and could cause separate bugs when repaired, or could even make the bug worse. The balance changes are easy, because all they are doing is changing a number once they find it in the balance code. If they want to fix something like disconnections, or quick searching, or even the input lag for the right-trigger is code deeply implemented into the game. If they try to increase the priority for the Right-trigger cycling to update in the threads, it could interrupt another important thread or process (depending on how they have it setup) and cause more game-crashes or for something to break, or even for the game to deadlock completely.

I would totally love for these fixes to occur and for Halo Wars 2 to have its critical bugs fixed, but from another standpoint I understand that these changes will take a lot of time. They are slowly making minor bug fixes (Canister Shell works now <3 ) to improve the game.

Tl;DR - Patience is key, and hopefully as they continue bug fixes, they get to the crucial bugs and improve the QoL of halo wars 2.
Ruzylo wrote:

I understand moving an object or such is an easy task, but that is all back-end code that they would have to go through processes to manipulate and could cause separate bugs when repaired, or could even make the bug worse. The balance changes are easy, because all they are doing is changing a number once they find it in the balance code. If they want to fix something like disconnections, or quick searching, or even the input lag for the right-trigger is code deeply implemented into the game. If they try to increase the priority for the Right-trigger cycling to update in the threads, it could interrupt another important thread or process (depending on how they have it setup) and cause more game-crashes or for something to break, or even for the game to deadlock completely.

I would totally love for these fixes to occur and for Halo Wars 2 to have its critical bugs fixed, but from another standpoint I understand that these changes will take a lot of time. They are slowly making minor bug fixes (Canister Shell works now <3 ) to improve the game.

Tl;DR - Patience is key, and hopefully as they continue bug fixes, they get to the crucial bugs and improve the QoL of halo wars 2.
Its not a bug. Its bad mapping and yes it really is that easy for some things. Many thing in this game take little to no time and could have been pushed into any update with an additional hour or two of work getting the right values, quick test on a bulld, confirm, push as a hotfix or with patch.

Point being, for those who understand more about the time it takes for certain things, it becomes inexcusable to not take 2 hours over 11 months to fix a x and y value.

Other things take longer and that I get. But others, its small easy timeless fixes that make the game better in the long run. And its not hard.

TL;DR Were talking about pathing. And more then likely its not a bug, its a map issue and how pathing works with it. They can simply change it just the same as balance values. It can be worked around and it would make the game better. As he said we want it to work, not to have to be reworked.

Edit: Canny shell worked in hw1. Canny shell should never have not worked since the game came out. Shouldnt be so happy about it now.