Forums / Games / Halo Wars Series

Mechanics for the Updated Economy

OP THEWALL766

If anyone remembers about 3-4 weeks ago I posted the results of testing how dramatically the supply rate tappers off when more supply pads are added. I got a pretty favorable response to the post and my findings made it all the way to a mataloidmonkey post, a BreakingtheClutch video, and (I would like to believe) an actual change in the mechanics for the supply pads. With the new system in place, I just wanted to do the experiment again to see how dramatically it has changed.

BOTTOM LINE UPFRONT: Supply Pads generate significantly more supplies at all numbers

The experiment that I performed here first, was repeated again with the exact same setup. However, this time I played on bedrock and instead of my iphone, I used the stopwatch on google for an attempt at greater accuracy. I wont bore you with retyping the procedure so ill just get right to how much as changed.

Your first supply pad actually is less efficient. The new supply rate for a single supply pad is about 6.9 supply/second which will result in about 2078 supplies over 5 minutes. This is a decrease in 6% from the 2217 you would get with the season 5- pads. Everything from this point on will be an increase in supply rate.

At 5 Harvesters, the new supply rate per pad per second was 5.84. This resulted in 7012 supplies in 5 minutes which was an 11% increase from the season 5- result of 6305 supplies.

At 8 Harvesters, the arguable limit to how many harvesters should be bought for season 5-, the new pads had an output of 8.8 supplies per pad per second. This resulted in 11547 supplies in 5 minutes which was a 26.4% increase from the 9132 supplies generated from season 5-.

The new supply curve is significantly more lucrative than the old one. The effect of diminishing returns is also much less punishing. After 8 supply pads , each additional supply pad resulted in anywhere between 600 and 800 more supplies after the 5 minutes which means there is no absolutely definitive point to stop making harvesters. At 12 pads, the end of the previous experiment, the player will be generating over 40% more supplies than from the previous system. The experiment was carried out to 16 harvesters.

The numbers below represent the increase in supplies the player will receive after building an additional harvester along with the total after 5 minutes

9 Pads - 12610 supplies after 5 min - 1062 increase from previous step
10 pads - 13501 supplies - 891 increase
11 pads - 14265 supplies - 763 increase
12 pads - 14985 supplies - 719 increase
13 pads - 15789 supplies - 804 increase
14 pads - 16357 supplies - 568 increase
15 pads - 16769 supplies - 411 increase
16 pads - 17421 supplies - 652 increase

I am aware of the irregularities with 13 and 16 pads, these were tested multiple times and this was what I came up with. See the sources of error section below for possible sources of error.

DISCUSSION:
While the higher level supply pads are now more lucrative, It doesn't necessarily mean that they are needed to be bought. The buff to the rate from the 5-8 pad range is so large that you are getting more supplies than you ever could with the old system. These supplies could be used for buying additional power extractors or production buildings and the dramatic increase in supply rate means building an army with supply is much easier. The output for 6 harvesters currently in greater than the output for 8 harvesters from the old system so your army of marauders and grunts can be bought faster with less resource buildings.

The decision to buy more harvesters of extractors is completely up to what army you are making. Hunters and Rangers don't need the 9th harvester the way banshees might but they do need a significantly more power.

SOURCES OF ERROR:
Accurate time taking is extremely difficult at a high number of supply pads. Multiple samples were taken for each harvester number. In addition, the metric of "time to 500 supplies" was replaced with "time to 1000 supplies" for this experiment to hopefully mitigate the role that reflexes and coordination played. Bottom line, I did my best and I am confident in the information that I have presented.

IN CONCLUSION
I'm not going to recommend any build orders. I don't think I'm good enough to tell other people how to play. I just like this game and I like numbers. I want everyone to be informed about how their economy works so they can make informed decisions.

If you found this information useful at all and decide to use it for any other purpose, go ahead. I would just appreciate a shout out with my gamertag "Thewall766". This took a decent amount of work and I really respect a lot of the other posters, YouTube channels, and twitch streamers, it would mean a lot.

FINALLY: fun fact: an equal population for grizzlies will beat an equal population of hunters if no micro is used.
I love hard numbers, makes it so I don't have to use my brain as much.

Thanks for the work you did!
Also, there was no change to the power system. Each unupgraded extractor gives about 2.7 power per second, each upgraded extractor gives 6 power per second, and each captured node gives 1.5 power per second.
So the optimal amount of harvesters is 6-8, anything plus is overkill and would take away from production. I would also guess that 4 extractors would be optimal? Good work by the way, I appreciate the number grinding very much.
So the optimal amount of harvesters is 6-8, anything plus is overkill and would take away from production. I would also guess that 4 extractors would be optimal? Good work by the way, I appreciate the number grinding very much.
I think that 8-9 harvesters is still a good target unless your going mass banshee. Than maybe a 10th but I don't see any need for more than that.
Although I love what the new curve does to late game with more than 7 pads, I'm not really satisfied with the curve at 5 pads.

It should give you less than before.

You have more supplies now, but at the same time you have more than enough supplies to survive out of one base and minis, this is still punishing expanding in my opinion since with a single base you can purchase units more easily than before.

So while it is an improvement from the previous seasons I still think it is not perfect.
Thanks so much for doing this! Great stuff.
Although I love what the new curve does to late game with more than 7 pads, I'm not really satisfied with the curve at 5 pads.

You have more supplies now, but at the same time you have more than enough supplies to survive out of one base and minis, this is still punishing expanding in my opinion since with a single base you can purchase units more easily than before.

So while it is an improvement from the previous seasons I still think it is not perfect.
I agree. I think it gives too much of a buff to the mid number of pads. I would be more happy if they kept 1-7 as they were before and then gave greater benefit to the 8+ pads to favor those that expand. But that is just my opinion.
THEWALL766 wrote:

I agree. I think it gives too much of a buff to the mid number of pads. I would be more happy if they kept 1-7 as they were before and then gave greater benefit to the 8+ pads to favor those that expand. But that is just my opinion.
I agree. Maybe reduce by just a bit 1-7.
I think 1 supply pad should be enough. Unupgraded, of course.

In all seriousness, you're the real MVP. Too bad HW2 doesn't have an equivalent of the Ice Unicorn AR skin.
I think 1 supply pad should be enough. Unupgraded, of course.

In all seriousness, you're the real MVP. Too bad HW2 doesn't have an equivalent of the Ice Unicorn AR skin.
I like the way you think. If any devs are reading, my birthday is coming up and if I could get a unique hunter captain avatar I would do a backflip from being stoked :p
THEWALL766 wrote:

I agree. Maybe reduce by just a bit 1-7.
After a long distance run to think about it, I think the real thing I'm not happy about is that it doesn't fix the issue of someone with 6 supply pads being able to fight off someone with 9 supply pads. As long as you hold 1 expansion or a few mini bases, there is no logical way for you to get out supplied, even if its 4 bases to 2. Right now I think my opinion is lower the supply rate for all of the pads but decrease the taper for pads 7-10 so they actually hold a strategic importance.