Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo Wars Series

Most Important & Realistic Features to Add ATM

OP BOSS NASTi

Hey HW2 Community & Developers,

After reading every single post in the "3 suggestions on features to add" thread, prior to it locking a while ago along with my own thoughts on “wishlist” items. I’ve come to what I believe imo are the current most important features we as a community should strongly consider/ask/hope for given the current state of where the game is, developer support capacity, longevity, and community engagement. At the end of the day we as a community are looking for features that will:

A: Keep the game alive & flourishing
B: Bring in new players & keep retention high
C: Appease to the competitive scene

I'm putting these in order of importance and realistic implementation given the finite resources and developer capacity. Without further ado, here we go:

1. Promotion Screen
-This is something you see games like League of Legends, Hearthstone, Overwatch, etc do really well. They promote community events & tournaments (esports) on their game clients home page.
-By adding a new slide/editing current slides you will reach 100% of your current audience/players therefore be able to grow the community, esport scene, content creators, etc. By reaching everyone you will bring new & more players into events like never before, why? Because people will actually know where to go to get information
-Currently we see "Game Update: New Season" & "Game Update: Balance Changes". We need 2 more slides:
1) 1st slide should be a constant that stays forever.
Ex: Watch & learn from the best players, sign-up & compete in tournaments, and engage with the community. Check out thread on waypoint halo wars 2 forums for more information on the Halo Wars Championship League *stickied at the top*
2) 2nd slide should be one that changes to promote upcoming events & hosts of each event.
Ex: Tune into the HWCL Stage 2 1v1 Tournament brought to you by BtC. See the best players compete to claim the crown. This Saturday 8/18/18 starting at 2:00 PM EST. Tune-in Twitch.tv/breakingtheclutch | Join Discord: $^^&$UQH

2. Unarranged Playlists for 2v2 & 3v3
-Allow players like in HW1 to be able to solo only search for ranked team games
-This will encourage players to meet new players & possible future teammates
-Allows for more player engagement
-A good way to form more teams in the game which could lead to bigger turnout at team tournaments as well
-There is always a time when players may not have teammates on and being able to search unarranged is a way to keep retention high & also have good fair competition. There's a lot of good players out there and this is just another way for more players to get noticed that have real talent
-Yes you too "Blitz" :)

3. Free For All
-All 3v3 maps except for possibly Fissures
-For all of these maps you would use the outside (farthest left & right) starting positions on both sides of the map for each individual.
-Yes mini-bases would not always be in the fairest position for certain starting positions among other things.
-Understanding that I'm looking at best case scenario as I'm assuming they wouldn't make FFA specific maps (if they did then awesome).
-If devs are able to edit current maps for FFA then that of course would be awesome. But if not, this would be the fastest and easiest way to make FFA a reality

4. Spectator Mode tuning & additions
-Add a slightly transparent overlay that goes almost full screen so you can still see live gameplay going on in the background. Then add 2 tabs:
1) Tab 1: an enlarged mini-map that gives you a top-down/overhead view of the entire battlefield via mini-map perspective.
2) Tab 2: add detailed stats on a side-by-side comparison for all players & then each team. Take what you have now by pressing the “back” button as a spectator and then add:
>Tech completion %
>Time each player hit Tech 2&3
>Time each player got hero unit on field
>Time each player completed their 1st expansion base & subsequent mini's
>Supply & energy per/second or per/minute income
>Actions per minute
-I'm sure there are others I'm not thinking of, as this is just a short list

5. A.I. Controlled Expansion & Mini bases
-This is more of an honorable mention as I'm currently 50/50 on this idea and based off where the game is now, it seems rather unlikely for this feature to be added

Thank you everyone who read this post and if you take anything away from this, I hope it's that we approach what we ask for in a realistic way that takes into account the benefit of the entire community and the majority pockets as best we can. These suggestions are my opinion and I'm sure some of you will share them and others will not or have different suggestions on what they feel is most important & realistic. The conversation is what I believe is best and it all has to start somewhere. Would love to hear thoughts on the suggestions I've put forth along with whether you agree or disagree and why. Also, if you have differing suggestions that you believe outweigh the one's I've provided, I'd love to hear as well.

Regards,

BOSS NASTi
I love all of these ideas except for number 2, just because I believe it would elongate search times and split the community.

If I have to pick realistic ones I had to say the Promotion Screen and the Free for All. I don't know a whole lot about development but I believe both of those wouldn't add too much to the developers plate (hopefully)
I like them all <3

I'd add improved controls for xbox players. Unit type control groups would go a long way in helping us control our armies and units and be more on par with PC players.

The current system to select a desired unit type by cycling past 7+ other unit types late game is somewhat ridiculous for an RTS game. If these units were instead organized across the D-pad then that would really clean things up.
I love all of these ideas except for number 2, just because I believe it would elongate search times and split the community.

If I have to pick realistic ones I had to say the Promotion Screen and the Free for All. I don't know a whole lot about development but I believe both of those wouldn't add too much to the developers plate (hopefully)
That is definitely possible. The way I look at it is like this, when I was playing hw1 the only time I went into Unarranged is when my friends weren't online to run 2's or 3's with and I didn't want to play solo's. This also allowed me to meet new players who I eventually played team games with as well. Adding any new playlists at this point whether it's unarranged lists or FFA will spread some of the community when it comes to which playlists are the most active. Though of course adding fewer playlists will minimize some of that. The biggest reason why I placed it at #2 is because it doesn't require any map tinkering, so from a developer perspective, it's the least time consuming and resource dependent for implementing.
I think point #2 is the most important... I enjoy playing 3s much more than others but I rarely have a friend to play the net result is often one of these 5 scenarios:

1) I play with bad players vs bad players
2) I play with bad players vs good players
3) I play with good players against great players
4) I play with great players against elite players

Sometimes I am luckier but nothing is more frustrating than playing with a sim city player, there is a lot of them.
I like them all!

Shawn96 wrote:
I think point #2 is the most important... I enjoy playing 3s much more than others but I rarely have a friend to play the net result is often one of these 5 scenarios:

1) I play with bad players vs bad players
2) I play with bad players vs good players
3) I play with good players against great players
4) I play with great players against elite players

Sometimes I am luckier but nothing is more frustrating than playing with a sim city player, there is a lot of them.
I think that's how you learn a lot... losing X-D