2. ...
  3. 24
  4. 25
  5. 26
  6. 27
  7. 28
  8. ...
  9. 59
Been playing on Xbox One with a couple of issues that i personally didn't mind all that much, some of the ones i noticed a bit more were game freezing, long loading times for games, sometimes i couldn't select local units, but that didn't stop me from having fun. I do wish that we could have some AI battles (especially with skirmish mode) but the multiplayer is still fun to do. Overall, i'm really liking this beta and am glad we got it so early.
Please make selecting all units like it used to be in the original Halo Wars. Now I see myself clicking two bumpers! Not good especially in intensive battles where I want all my units focused on one target.

As I have said before, I want to see DETAILED descriptions of each unit as it was in the original Halo Wars.

The organisation of units in buildings need to change. For example I want to deploy marines from the barracks. NOT the main building. That's where I deploy warthogs from! I'm pretty sure every player is used to the way units were deployed from buildings in the original Halo Wars, it needs to be the same way in Halo Wars 2! Especially the upgrades, make that clear too! And make the pictures of units clearer and bigger too!

And why do marines take up THREE of my popular count! It should be ONE! I was wondering how I managed to quickly fill up my population count and now I know why!

Apart from what I have said, I like how the reactors work. I like that change.
games go by way to fast, each team needs a higher point count so it takes longer to drain out. Not enough time to build up and actually get an army
Now that I'm used to the game, I do like it better, but I'm still not a fan of the visual base changes, population values of units, and loading times (which will probably get better when it isn't in beta)
this is more of an alpha not a beta... it blows constantly freezes can't do anythijg. slow glitches get ur act together and release something worth playing or don't release at all. if this is any sign of the final product which I hope it isent I will not be buying... going back to play original halo wars now because this is garbage and unplayable.
Little twitches and lags of the shadow of knowing where the enemy is when traveling to a location. No need for radar just look around map for flying jumping walking running shadows haha
Here's my feed back THIS GAME IS BROKEN JUST LIKE MASTER CHIEF COLLECTION FIX YA SERVERS
I can't enjoy the game without some person rushing all the points. we can't even get an army out without losing half our tickets. Please change it to just attacking each other.
This/\

But then there would be the problem of rushing bases.

To 343-

The Mini Reapers (Shrouds) should not be able to cloak or be cloaked by other cloaking units. They should only be able to cloak units. I think I said that right.
- Some Critical Feedback -Loved Halo Wars 1 but haven't played it in yonks (Australian for 'a long -Yoink- time'). RTS game lover, favourites being Warcraft3, Starcraft2, play a lot of mobas like LoL and HotS, big Halo fan.

Overall, really enjoy the game, had some epic moments already including winning a couple of 1v2 games and losing after being 3000-200 ahead, excited to try it with a keyboard and mouse. Maybe I should mention I have a bachelor of games design, not sure if that holds any weight. Probably not :P

I apologise for the lack of order and formatting, it's a collection of suggestions and observations and opinions:

- It seems that a lot of the animations don't play when there are a lot of units on screen, the sound effects seem to play though.
- When using the Y function of warthogs it seems they can clip through each other which is weird, it also feels unresponsive when you tell them to charge they seem to hesitate. You should also be able to take advantage of 'splattering' just by microing movement commands to the hog, I feel.
- Being able to order units to directly collect resources in the fog of war would make spreading out out at the start less tedious, although they do seem to automatically start collecting things that they're next to.
- Hero units need a splash of 'glow' around their base to highlight them amongst the other units (something like wc3 would work well).
- In Halo Banshees can't 'stop', they are always going forwards, having their default attack be strafing runs (or even the iconic 'flip' or barrel roll) would be better visually and lore-wise, I feel.- A way to zoom out and zoom back in would be really cool way to quickly jump around the map, away to zoom out a little further would be useful too.
- Visually unit attacks need to be synced up to the damage being dealt, this would greatly help clarity and threat identification.
- Placing snipers in the watchtowers is extremely effective, may need to be nerfed.
- It would be really nice to see your allies 'window' on the mini map.
- I think the 'Command Point Spend' screen (holding the back button) needs to be inverted, aka, go from south to north on the screen, rather than north to south, just for simplicity.
- Need a little better use of colour on the radial building menus to highlight different tiers of use. Need a differentiation between a unit that is building, something that is researching, something that is locked until next tier, something that is locked until the tier after. Something that is a unit, something that is an upgrade.
- Needs to show X to cancel unit or structure. If you cancel a structure the announcer doesn't need to tell your entire team that the enemy destroyed a building.
- There's a difference in threat between being attacked by airborne enemies and being attacked by the sentinel creeps (attacking the creeps is usually something you initiated yourself anyway then moved on to do other things while they fought) - that announcement could use some refinement.- I think the back button command power menu is unnecessary, it could all be done by holding LT. An indicator when you get a new command point would be nice. Have the top 4 slots in the radial menu be the possible upgrades, when you unlock one it is replaced by the next one. Active powers and passives can be the rest of the radial menu. This may impact design depending on how you can branch out between the command point lanes.
- Pads that are yet to be constructed and are waiting in the bases' 'build queue' need a little indicator (possibly a number to indicate their spot in the queue).
- Units need more personality, I think some attack click or combat voice lines would really help them pop.
- I think the mini map may work better if the window spun rather than the entire map spinning. Personally find it a little disorientating.
- In Matchmaking, If it could prioritise region this is a BIG thing for us foreign players. While playing on 200ms ping doesn't matter as much in this, (compared to the way it completely cripples your ability to effectively play in, for example, Halo 5), you can still control units and micro relatively effectively etc, it just slows you down, everything is 200ms less responsive and that builds up to a significant margin over the course of a match. If the matchmaking could prioritise local host (give at least 60 seconds of 'local host only' search time before expanding) that would be great.- Units tend to pop in and out of existence at the edge of the fog of war just strangely semi-invis popping into reality. Having a 'motion tracker' type UI in the fog of war edge may be a good solution?
-Units need a little more visual differentiation when they're upgraded.
- I really really don't like the 'infantry upgrade', 'vehicle upgrade' and 'air upgrade' mechanic. A 400/200 30% damage and armour buff is not healthy for the game because there's no visual representation of that SIGNIFICANT army wide and very ARBITRARY buff occurring both for you and the enemy and it breaks any kind of natural sense of balance a player can establish between infantry vehicles and air, because at any point in the game one of them may have visually unrepresented 30 or 60% buffs to their health or damage output. I think there are better ways of offering progression. Infantry wide squad size buffs would be better, if theres a way to make vehicles look significantly more armoured then an army wide armour buff may be the solution there, similarly for Air. Possibly even remove the 'army wide' buffs from the buildings altogether and replace them with army type production speed upgrades (removing the force wide army production speed upgrade from the War Council and Armoury).
-- I would love for the game to be focussed a little more on Micro rather than Macro. Having ways for units to be more effective when they're being directly controlled is a great way to do that, also the simplification of tedious macro tasks. To that end I think a way to select all unit building structures and having a dynamic 'overarching unit build' radial menu is a great possibility. It would basically add together all build options from all bases and buildings into one menu for when you need to spam units. The Y functions and the way you can kite with warthogs are a great way to promote micro focussed engagements so I think that's at a good point (although PC players may require either more macro or more micro).
- Assuming it runs on Azure, only had a few moments per match of 'screen lag', game would freeze frame for a few seconds then resume.
-Unit responsiveness is an are that needs some improvement. Sometimes units move when I give them X commands even if the reticle doesn't play the 'arrows' animation, sometimes they don't and it's usually because i've somehow selected something else.
-Loading into the map and the moment you gain control needs a countdown, at the moment you get a 'waiting for players' blue splash and the game could start at any point after that.
Page 1 of 2, oh god I've gone over the limit.
- Love the domination mode, the genius of it is that it forces players to engage and interact and respond to what the enemy is doing and offers an effective alternative strategy that isn't rushing or teching hard. I think other Arena RTS games suffer from a 'norush20' mentality (especially SCII). A lot of players seem to just want to sit back, tech to tier 3 while hiding behind their default turrets then push with their big army of fliers or tanks, but that's ultimately very boring for the players they're facing, especially when the exciting part, the battle, is over in 10 seconds flat. I love that Domination mode gives them incentive to not do that, don't listen to the techer whingers! :P
- When this comes to PC I worry that the game won't 'scale' well, in that when using a controller you're time limited by your own controls, there's only so much you can do. With a mouse and keyboard a decent RTS player is going to be bored after splitting all units at the start to send them off to cache sites, starting all buildings and will then be twiddling their thumbs while they wait the 30-40 seconds for the cache to finish. That's where improvements to fine animation-damage sync and micro comes into play as units like the chopper and warthog will shine as microing them could be where the PC players can sink their APM into early game. Late game I also worry about scaling, it's not really that hard to max out your macro on the controller (not easy either) currently with 3 bases, a PC player is going to do this easily, this is not abad thing, it just needs to be compensated for by having Micro be essential, and possibly more dynamic things to fight over. TL;DR While the current balance of macro/micro woks well for controller I just hope that there's enough focus on micro to make the game scale up to PC levels of APM well.
-Forgot to mention, a robust 'command queue' is a needed feature, not sure if I simply haven't discovered it yet, but a way to issue multiple commands to one unit who will then go and enact them in order would be fantastic. (In Starcraft you shift click)

Thank you for reading, excited to go play some more!
Not sure why but at some points game just froze and I couldnt do anything but teammates and enemies were still playing and I could hear all audio.

Other than that, need to make the Special Y abilities more obvious about when you can use them. Need significant unit balancing as I find myself wiping out enemies with just marines.
Frame rate needs a huge improvement because its ridiculously low most of the time. This game should definitely be running at 60fps.

PS: Domination ends way too quickly most of the time. No time to upgrade units or even buy most vehicles. It's just a boring way to play. You can build a few extra marines and take 3 points all at once and just hold them till you win and the game finishes in 10-15 minutes.
I think removing the base turrets at spawn would force you to build some units quickly and prep for a possible rush and actually do something. You get the odd turtling game but this is just as boring.
Thorulfr wrote:
- Love the domination mode, the genius of it is that it forces players to engage and interact and respond to what the enemy is doing and offers an effective alternative strategy that isn't rushing or teching hard. I think other Arena RTS games suffer from a 'norush20' mentality (especially SCII). A lot of players seem to just want to sit back, tech to tier 3 while hiding behind their default turrets then push with their big army of fliers or tanks, but that's ultimately very boring for the players they're facing, especially when the exciting part, the battle, is over in 10 seconds flat. I love that Domination mode gives them incentive to not do that, don't listen to the techer whingers! :P
- When this comes to PC I worry that the game won't 'scale' well, in that when using a controller you're time limited by your own controls, there's only so much you can do. With a mouse and keyboard a decent RTS player is going to be bored after splitting all units at the start to send them off to cache sites, starting all buildings and will then be twiddling their thumbs while they wait the 30-40 seconds for the cache to finish. That's where improvements to fine animation-damage sync and micro comes into play as units like the chopper and warthog will shine as microing them could be where the PC players can sink their APM into early game. Late game I also worry about scaling, it's not really that hard to max out your macro on the controller (not easy either) currently with 3 bases, a PC player is going to do this easily, this is not abad thing, it just needs to be compensated for by having Micro be essential, and possibly more dynamic things to fight over. TL;DR While the current balance of macro/micro woks well for controller I just hope that there's enough focus on micro to make the game scale up to PC levels of APM well.

You know how wrong you are about Domination, right? I've seen people sit back in their bases for ten whole minutes before attacking ANY of the objectives. XD I've done it myself and it never forces anyone to play the mode. I mean, both sides can sit there ten minutes each and the point count will be the same, meaning that it doesn't force players to make a dash for the objectives at all. You can play cat and mouse with this mode and it's really bad when it comes to turtle players (players who research, resource hoard and wait to build a force at their base till they're at their strongest). Trust me, Domination doesn't inspire players to strike first. It just inspires players to build up an entire army in ten minutes BEFORE attacking any of the objectives. If there was like a 15 minute timer, then sure. But, Domination isn't timed and it doesn't force players to go into battle. If you think it does, we probably are playing two different Halo Wars 2 games or you ran into players who aren't Turtle players... I'm a turtle player and it takes forever for a good army to be formed before attacking the objectives.

So, yeah... The mode NEEDS to be changed in a way that it DOES force players to go on the offensive instead of turtling at their bases THEN going on the offensive. Their needs to be LESS objectives instead of A-E. Just have A, B and C and place them at the center. A at the top center. B at the very center. C at the lower center of the map. It needs to have a directed flow so that the gameplay plays like it's supposed to instead of turning into an overgrown game of cat and mouse.
Where is the Standard game type? Classic Halo Wars gameplay seems to have been left out of the upcoming game types. Adding new modes is great but only if you keep the classics.
Where the hell are the Cobras man??? And swap LT and LB PLEASE!!!!!!!!
I'm really liking what I see, but I tend to agree with a few other posters. Domination is not quite a great game mode for the beta. IMO The mode is too fast paced, ends too early and really takes away from the enjoyment of the building/development side of things. There is only two tactics used, that being to Rush on the points early (or unguarded bases) and spam as many units as possible. A lot of beta testers are in the first experience with Halo Wars 2 (as I am) and want to have a casual experience to get used to the controls and concepts. The current formula is turning a lot of people away quickly which is not quite what you want in the beta.

Other Opinions
Art Style- Love it. The classic art style is something that I really did miss during my time playing Halo 4 and 5

Command Tree- I don't really know what the last process was for Halo Wars, but I really see no problems there. Being able to easily access it helps a lot!

Unit Colors- This is more for campaign, but the bright unit colors really detract from the feel. I understand that's fairly critical to the multiplayer, but if it's possible to institute a red alert 2 style unit color scheme (more subdued, units had grey or black color scheme's with identifier colors as a secondary color), that would be great. For campaign though, I think having a gritty lore based color scheme that is uniform to prior games (ex. olive drab- UNSC, purple+grey-Covenant) will really add a better experience to the game. Campaign is where the lore/narrative is at, and players have a greater attachment to the way things are presented canonically and from their previous experiences with Halo. Faction identification is not as important to the player as it would be in multiplayer.
Pros
  • New button layout. Took time to get used to but it makes everything just a bit quicker.
  • Starting base has turrets. This is good to help prevent from rushes.
  • Covenant leaders aren't present right away. Halo Wars 1 this was an issue, because everyone would choose the Covenant, then just rush right away. Maybe the other leaders are like this (since we haven't seen everyone yet), but I hope it stays the way it has been in HW2.
  • Generators produce currency. This is a great addition!
Cons
  • Ticket count in domination. It's too low. Either the ticket count needs to be upped, or the value of 1 ticket needs to be increase. Feels like the game ends when things just get interesting.
  • Teammate quitting. Their bases and units are destroyed. No AI fills in. You're basically screwed and have no chance. My suggestion: Fill in the void with AI or let us take over the teammates units (and give us increased units from 60 to 120). This will at least give us a fighting chance.
  • No team chat/quick chat option. Yes, you can use a mic. But not everyone does this. It would be nice to have a dialogue box, with some quick text options (ex: Rocket League quick chat). It would help create some more team work.
  • Can't see teammates view. This was a great part of the original HW. I could see where my teammate was looking, and get a feel for their next move. Please bring it back.
Overall I really enjoy this game. The only major con I think needs 100% fixing is the teammate quitting situation. Great job so far with this game!
I would say good valid points
I LOVE first Halo Wars, this is my favourite game, and the controls were perfect (no changes were needed).

I played some games of Halo Wars 2, and it's difficult to see what is happening on the field, The mini HUD is bad, I can't see where are my units or hostile units. Moreover, the alert/emergency animation needs to have a sound (like in Halo Wars 1).
Domination is a cool mode, but I really want to play the classic mode of Halo Wars (destroy ennemy base, no rules). Also, I want to play 3v3 (a lot of 3v3 maps in the final game please).
The buildings are very dificult to recognize, contrary to Halo Wars 1 (for example, the airbase or the garage in Halo Wars 1 are really easy to recognize, not in Halo Wars 2).
It's also very very difficulty to recognize if units are ally or ennemy because of the colors or the graphisms. Halo Wars 1 was perfect for fast recognizing players, bases and building on the field.
It's harder to select units (sensibility maybe ?), so most of the time I just select all units together.
I don't like the new energy system, I don't see what is the difference with supplies. I prefer technology system from Halo Wars 1 with reactors/Covenant ages (and it was always a great loss when you lost a Super Reactor or a Temple in Halo Wars 1, this can be game-changer. These game-changers should return in Halo Wars 2).
The map from the beta is not really impressive, it's just an empty plain. I want maps which looks like Fort Deen (a remake of Fort Deen ?), Beasley's Plateau, Terminal Moraine, Exil, Frozen Valley, Glacial ravine, the docks...
But there are a lot of strategic buildings across the map, it's very cool.
New units (Falcon !!), it's cool too (and Elites and Brute Jetpacks are now useful !). But where are Scarabs, Jackals, Vampires (what is the anti-air Covenant unit now ?), Cobras ?
Why only 1 Spartan ? Maybe because it's the beta? Moreover, the Spartan is quickly killed, maybe he should be able to control a vehicle like in Halo Wars 1 (with experience).
And where is the Brute Chieftain ? I don't see him on the field. It's very important that Covenant leaders (I hope there is a prophet) are unique units on the field with unique powers. I want to play the Brute Chieftain and use his deadly power against my ennemies like in Halo Wars 1.
Also, I'm disappointed I can't drop dozens of ODST like in Halo Wars 1 with Cutter. It was a very cool to drops 10 ODST squads everywhere on the map, especially in emergency situations.
Where are transport Pelicans or Covenant teleportation ? When I need to move quickly my army to help my ally, I can't. And I love to see in Halo Wars 1 all these Pelicans coming from the sky with all my army ready.
There are a lot of problems to move all units together : some units doesn't move when I select "all units".
There should be statistics at the end of the match like in Halo Wars 1.
When someone is disconnecting/leaving before it ends, I don't see any name : is it my ally or ennemy ?
I think there should be more units upgrades (for example in HW1, Hunters or Banshees units have 3 upgrades and in HW2, only one ?).
I love the animations at the bases (with Pelicans or Spirits dropping buildings).
Where are Covenant Shield building ? I don't like the idea of the turret which create a shield for the base, I prefer the system from Halo Wars 1 (unique shield buildings (which were beautiful !) where I can build shield building without limits).
At the first game, controls are very very difficult to understand, but after some games, it definitely get better and easier. But there should be a "All units" button.
Bases are too easy to take (there is no resistance) : where are rebels or flood ? (But it's a beta, so I guess it won't show any flood).
Also, VERY IMPORTANT : I want to see where my ally is looking on the mini HUD (like in Halo Wars 1 with colors circles on the mini-map).
The beta really need an other map (3v3), this 2v2 map is very basic and will become boring very quickly.
Maybe it's because of Domination, but games are too fast. What I truly loved in Halo Wars 1 were these very epic and balanced battles on Fort Deen 3v3 with the barriers that lasted 1 or 2 hours !
The music is really nice !

.I know it's a beta but I think Halo Wars 2 can be a great game but it REALLY needs to feel like Halo Wars 1.
Even if the beta is a little disappointing, I know I will get the Ultimate Edition, I love Halo Wars.

Sorry for my english !

UDAPTE : I enjoy more Halo Wars 2 beta after playing more games. There are good ideas, graphisms are beautiful, bases are very nice (but buildings should more easier to recognize), I really love the music (even if it is different from Halo Wars 1 style) and the map is more interesting than I thought at first.
It's easier to play once you get used to new units, new systems and new controls.

First game was very disappointing but I definitely enjoy more Halo Wars 2 now. I would like to play 3v3 and test Scarabs before the beta ends.
I agree with you 100%
I'm am a long time halo wars fan at the very beginning when it first came out i hated the fact that I couldn't build anywhere I wanted to (maybe make a game mode for that) but as I played more I got used to it and im a general on the first halo wars so I've had my far share of experience. I really really dont like the domination game mode because the game is over to quickly and i dont like the unit counts because it seems like you cant get a lot of units. I want bigger battles, bigger armys! Hopefully you guys keep 3v3 because that's what I absolutely love about the first halo wars. Now the graphics are pretty good. Kinda hard to get used to but still good. I don't like that marines and warthog take 4/5 unit points (or whatever they are called) and i really don't like the whole power as a resource thing. To be honest whenever i saw the very first halo wars beta and I saw the Marines training running around the base now that was cool! That was different and i liked how it seemed like you could set you base up any way you wanted to. It makes the game much much more strategic. Hopefully you guys see this! And keep up the good work i wish i could join you because I have tons of ideas but students loans aren't looking to great atm considering my financial position. But I'll still try so good luck!
changes i would recomend are
a cinematic mode during game-play
larger units, coupled with a higher population count
the maps should be a bit mor fleshed out
maps, and units feel to much like the old game, its like im playing a polished version of the original instead of a new game
i feel like the mini-map needs to be improved, maybe a tactical map of sorts, easy to navigate, easier to plan your next move.
i would like to see a way to group certain units that way i can command them autonomously without having to constantly navigate across the map.
i certainly hope that in the final game you dont have to unlock all of the leader powers all over again like in the beta.
to clarify when i say larger units i do mean LARGER units, doesnt exactly feel like im commanding an army.

if you think this sounds alot like total war meets halo youd be right. (you announced halo wars 2 and that the guys responsible for total war were on board) so obviously thats what alot of fans were expecting. i certainly hope that, that is what the final product becomes because i have no doubt it will revolutionize how strategy games are supposed to look like. you caused alot of hype and so far the game doesn't seem all that different than the original, hope to see some improvements in the future.

Thorulfr wrote:

You know how wrong you are about Domination, right? I've seen people sit back in their bases for ten whole minutes before attacking ANY of the objectives. XD I've done it myself and it never forces anyone to play the mode. I mean, both sides can sit there ten minutes each and the point count will be the same, meaning that it doesn't force players to make a dash for the objectives at all. You can play cat and mouse with this mode and it's really bad when it comes to turtle players (players who research, resource hoard and wait to build a force at their base till they're at their strongest). Trust me, Domination doesn't inspire players to strike first. It just inspires players to build up an entire army in ten minutes BEFORE attacking any of the objectives. If there was like a 15 minute timer, then sure. But, Domination isn't timed and it doesn't force players to go into battle. If you think it does, we probably are playing two different Halo Wars 2 games or you ran into players who aren't Turtle players... I'm a turtle player and it takes forever for a good army to be formed before attacking the objectives.

So, yeah... The mode NEEDS to be changed in a way that it DOES force players to go on the offensive instead of turtling at their bases THEN going on the offensive. Their needs to be LESS objectives instead of A-E. Just have A, B and C and place them at the center. A at the top center. B at the very center. C at the lower center of the map. It needs to have a directed flow so that the gameplay plays like it's supposed to instead of turning into an overgrown game of cat and mouse.
I disagree, it clearly punishes those who like to turtle as their points will tick down much faster if they don't allocate resources and time to fighting over the middle points. I see this as a good thing because it forces player interaction and engagement, you're encountering your opponents units and responding to what they're building rather than the old 'ok im going to tech to X and hopefully win"
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 24
  4. 25
  5. 26
  6. 27
  7. 28
  8. ...
  9. 59