- Some Critical Feedback -Loved Halo Wars 1 but haven't played it in yonks (Australian for 'a long -Yoink- time'). RTS game lover, favourites being Warcraft3, Starcraft2, play a lot of mobas like LoL and HotS, big Halo fan.
Overall, really enjoy the game, had some epic moments already including winning a couple of 1v2 games and losing after being 3000-200 ahead, excited to try it with a keyboard and mouse. Maybe I should mention I have a bachelor of games design, not sure if that holds any weight. Probably not :P
I apologise for the lack of order and formatting, it's a collection of suggestions and observations and opinions:
- It seems that a lot of the animations don't play when there are a lot of units on screen, the sound effects seem to play though.
- When using the Y function of warthogs it seems they can clip through each other which is weird, it also feels unresponsive when you tell them to charge they seem to hesitate. You should also be able to take advantage of 'splattering' just by microing movement commands to the hog, I feel.
- Being able to order units to directly collect resources in the fog of war would make spreading out out at the start less tedious, although they do seem to automatically start collecting things that they're next to.
- Hero units need a splash of 'glow' around their base to highlight them amongst the other units (something like wc3 would work well).
- In Halo Banshees can't 'stop', they are always going forwards, having their default attack be strafing runs (or even the iconic 'flip' or barrel roll) would be better visually and lore-wise, I feel.- A way to zoom out and zoom back in would be really cool way to quickly jump around the map, away to zoom out a little further would be useful too.
- Visually unit attacks need to be synced up to the damage being dealt, this would greatly help clarity and threat identification.
- Placing snipers in the watchtowers is extremely effective, may need to be nerfed.
- It would be really nice to see your allies 'window' on the mini map.
- I think the 'Command Point Spend' screen (holding the back button) needs to be inverted, aka, go from south to north on the screen, rather than north to south, just for simplicity.
- Need a little better use of colour on the radial building menus to highlight different tiers of use. Need a differentiation between a unit that is building, something that is researching, something that is locked until next tier, something that is locked until the tier after. Something that is a unit, something that is an upgrade.
- Needs to show X to cancel unit or structure. If you cancel a structure the announcer doesn't need to tell your entire team that the enemy destroyed a building.
- There's a difference in threat between being attacked by airborne enemies and being attacked by the sentinel creeps (attacking the creeps is usually something you initiated yourself anyway then moved on to do other things while they fought) - that announcement could use some refinement.- I think the back button command power menu is unnecessary, it could all be done by holding LT. An indicator when you get a new command point would be nice. Have the top 4 slots in the radial menu be the possible upgrades, when you unlock one it is replaced by the next one. Active powers and passives can be the rest of the radial menu. This may impact design depending on how you can branch out between the command point lanes.
- Pads that are yet to be constructed and are waiting in the bases' 'build queue' need a little indicator (possibly a number to indicate their spot in the queue).
- Units need more personality, I think some attack click or combat voice lines would really help them pop.
- I think the mini map may work better if the window spun rather than the entire map spinning. Personally find it a little disorientating.
- In Matchmaking, If it could prioritise region this is a BIG thing for us foreign players. While playing on 200ms ping doesn't matter as much in this, (compared to the way it completely cripples your ability to effectively play in, for example, Halo 5), you can still control units and micro relatively effectively etc, it just slows you down, everything is 200ms less responsive and that builds up to a significant margin over the course of a match. If the matchmaking could prioritise local host (give at least 60 seconds of 'local host only' search time before expanding) that would be great.- Units tend to pop in and out of existence at the edge of the fog of war just strangely semi-invis popping into reality. Having a 'motion tracker' type UI in the fog of war edge may be a good solution?
-Units need a little more visual differentiation when they're upgraded.
- I really really don't like the 'infantry upgrade', 'vehicle upgrade' and 'air upgrade' mechanic. A 400/200 30% damage and armour buff is not healthy for the game because there's no visual representation of that SIGNIFICANT army wide and very ARBITRARY buff occurring both for you and the enemy and it breaks any kind of natural sense of balance a player can establish between infantry vehicles and air, because at any point in the game one of them may have visually unrepresented 30 or 60% buffs to their health or damage output. I think there are better ways of offering progression. Infantry wide squad size buffs would be better, if theres a way to make vehicles look significantly more armoured then an army wide armour buff may be the solution there, similarly for Air. Possibly even remove the 'army wide' buffs from the buildings altogether and replace them with army type production speed upgrades (removing the force wide army production speed upgrade from the War Council and Armoury).
-- I would love for the game to be focussed a little more on Micro rather than Macro. Having ways for units to be more effective when they're being directly controlled is a great way to do that, also the simplification of tedious macro tasks. To that end I think a way to select all unit building structures and having a dynamic 'overarching unit build' radial menu is a great possibility. It would basically add together all build options from all bases and buildings into one menu for when you need to spam units. The Y functions and the way you can kite with warthogs are a great way to promote micro focussed engagements so I think that's at a good point (although PC players may require either more macro or more micro).
- Assuming it runs on Azure, only had a few moments per match of 'screen lag', game would freeze frame for a few seconds then resume.
-Unit responsiveness is an are that needs some improvement. Sometimes units move when I give them X commands even if the reticle doesn't play the 'arrows' animation, sometimes they don't and it's usually because i've somehow selected something else.
-Loading into the map and the moment you gain control needs a countdown, at the moment you get a 'waiting for players' blue splash and the game could start at any point after that.
Page 1 of 2, oh god I've gone over the limit.