2. ...
  3. 27
  4. 28
  5. 29
  6. 30
  7. 31
  8. ...
  9. 59
THIS GAME IS GOOD SO FAR WITH THE NEW LEADER,AND ABILITYS AND UNITS,BUT IMA GIVE HONEST FEEDBACK THAT MAKES SENSE.
FIRST OFF PEOPLE SAYING ' GO BACJ TO OLD WAY O
I loved HW 1 so much and play it for hours on end, I still play it to this day! The game mechanics of it are what has kept me playing it for so long. I was so excited for this beta to come out and tbh I was disappointed. I have hope that the final version of this game could be good though, that's the point of having the beta right? There are some good things about this game though.

1) The introduction of more units to this game.
This is arguably the best thing about the beta, I'm going to stick it out in hopes that all the bad parts of it will become good. One of the few things I didn't like with HW1 was that there were only 3 units in each of the different buildings. So thank you for adding more!

2) The artwork for the buildings and the troops looks pretty cool.
Never hurts to update those and it caught my eye at first.

3) The new game mode.
I would definitely not recommend this game mode to be the highlight of the game at all, but having this and multiple other game modes(possibly even 4v4 or 5v5) would give a good amount of options to choose from. They're all different types and strategies to pick from, and this would be a fun one occasionally. It would also be nice to make it so tickets are lost/gained at a slower rate.

4) Power nodes
I love this idea of having more tactical points to capture! It makes getting resources less of a focus so more time can be put into training/upgrading units and implementing strategies.

Now to the things that I personally did not like about the game.

1) The lighting and color scheme.
The idea of having an updated look to the game is good but it was not put into action very well. It is difficult to tell who's units are who's and it was also difficult to see things in general. There needs to be more contrast in color since the whole point of this game is having different teams fighting each other. Being blatantly obvious who is on what team like HW1 had was very nice. Especially when there were multiple players spread throughout the battlefield. Also the weird shield thing on the outside of the map just looks dumb, please get rid of this.

2) The controls
I don't see any reason the controls had to change, there was nothing with how they flowed in HW1. Why fix something that isn't broken?

3) The battling mechanics
I'm not sure what happened to the mechanics from HW1 because the way all the fighting happened in that game was great. For the lack of a better word it feels sloppy to me. To me it felt like the units weren't matched up correctly and we're kind of just shooting wherever. I want the control we had from HW1, and even the sound effects. There was just absolutely no need for this change and this is probably the worst part of the beta for me.

4) The new resource power
This was just a dumb move, if the tech level can be upgraded via the base, why add another resource? This isn't farmville I just want to have massive armies and epic battles. I don't want to focus my time and base slots on getting resources. Yes resources are definitely part of the game, but having too many to collect and focus on getting changes the point of the game. Either get rid of the power feature completely and just have tech level upgraded in the base or get rid of them both and go back to the reactors.

5) The population
The default population size is bigger and that is great, but that has done nothing because the population needed from each unit has gone up. I would love to see an even higher default population and putting the population needed by each unit back down to how it was. Or just exponentially grow the population and leave the units how they are, either way please don't advertise about bigger battles if this is what you give us.

I loved the first Halo Wars game so much and hope I can love the sequel the same if not even more! There's just been some unnecessary changes from the 1st one to the 2nd one and it's disappointing to see it go that way. Basically, I think a lot of us fans would agree we want to see the mechanics and lighting techniques of the 1st one but add bigger armies, more unit types, and an awesome new story!

I'm sure there are good and bad things I missed but I just wanted to give some feedback on my thoughts. I will still be buying the new game because I loved HW1 so much, I just hope I won't be disappointed by giving you my money. This is just the beta after all and anything could change up until February!
The statement about population is correct. And I want the fact of decreased unit cost, population wise so that we can get the Halo Wars epic battles we were promised.With armies that are currently less than even the Original Halo Wars...
I really loved the first halo wars, and I feel like this game should make some steps to become closer to the original. For one, give us a better control layout and more choices. I would also like a better color palet and the ability to make a queue for moving troops and picking up supply's and such. Also give us a better indication of danger and a more playable experience. I realize it is just a beta, but still even as a game mode it seems super boring and even broken at times. The menus also seem a bit odd like I have to hit a button multiple times to get a response, as well as making an order for troops no matter the order gives little to no visual effect or response.
Look, Domination sucks. Why would You have a fast paced game type in a beta where we're trying to explore the game? I would not play this mode at all after release, if I buy it. Halo Wars is about large scale battles, not rushing around to capture points.

The buildings: I don't mind the generators. I'd prefer the reactor system, but I could live with it. Now a building just for "Jerome"? Cmon, that's no good. We already have to spend extra building space for the generators. Put Spartans in the barracks, where they belong. And it's called a Vehicle Depot, NOT a Garage. It's good that you can only build hogs there. That'll stop the ol' hog rush strategy. The biggest issue I think is that the buildings don't stand out from one another. I want to look at my base and see exactly which building I eant to be using.

Graphics look nice but the battle me mechanics suck. I want full control. There needs to be a deeper contrast between text on screen and the map.

Basically, just make us Halo Wars, stop trying to reinvent the wheel. The game was amazing. Don't eff up our game 343. I understand it's beta, but if you release it as-is, I'd rather play HW1 on xb 360.
we need more units.. I feel like you could get even more units in the first halo wars
Please read 343,
First, I am not opposed to new features such as units, buildings, game modes etc but before I get into the nitty gritty, the most important thing you must keep in mind is that console RTS games is a dieing breed and you must keep this game simple like the first Halo Wars. I understand this beta is a work in progress but it is by far "simple".

#1. Team colors. Bad idea. Colors are way to close. Very confusing.
#2. For beta purposes, each player should be stationed at 1 corner of the map. Just feels like a lot of waisted space for the amount of time that the game goes on for.
#3. I personally think team death match would have been a better choice as a launch mode then the confusing domination mode however it has potential. It's to quick. Point pool should be increased to 10,000.
#4. Unit population must be 200. This game is doomed to fail if 60 is the max.
#5. Custom games aka private lobby for friends or AI allies/enemy's needs to return.
#6. If you want your game to shine and essentially bring back life to the RTS genre. Implement a Scenario editor such as age of empires. It could be basic and simple with features such basic terrain adjustment, building placments, AI placements etc. If you can introduce this "forge" mode it will keep players such as me playing for a long time.
#6.5 with forge, implement a file share to share maps with friends that can be bookmarked just like in halo 5.
#7. Units response is slugish unlike the original halo wars.
#8. Purchasing and upgrading units is a mess. Please go back to the basics. Seemed like things were much more organized in HW1.

I am sure I have left some things out. Feel free to agree or disagree or add to my post.
Forgot to mention that unit cap may be larger then the original at 60 but current units increased in pop cap. I guess I don't understand how a newer and better console can't support a truly bigger unit pop. 60 might be ok if unit costs were the same as HW1. But at current unit costs the new standard in my opinion should be 200. Seriously, isnt the ONE supposed to be better then the 360? Why can we not get "bigger"?
Pros
  • New button layout. Took time to get used to but it makes everything just a bit quicker.
  • Starting base has turrets. This is good to help prevent from rushes.
  • Covenant leaders aren't present right away. Halo Wars 1 this was an issue, because everyone would choose the Covenant, then just rush right away. Maybe the other leaders are like this (since we haven't seen everyone yet), but I hope it stays the way it has been in HW2.
  • Generators produce currency. This is a great addition!
Cons
  • Ticket count in domination. It's too low. Either the ticket count needs to be upped, or the value of 1 ticket needs to be increase. Feels like the game ends when things just get interesting.
  • Teammate quitting. Their bases and units are destroyed. No AI fills in. You're basically screwed and have no chance. My suggestion: Fill in the void with AI or let us take over the teammates units (and give us increased units from 60 to 120). This will at least give us a fighting chance.
  • No team chat/quick chat option. Yes, you can use a mic. But not everyone does this. It would be nice to have a dialogue box, with some quick text options (ex: Rocket League quick chat). It would help create some more team work.
  • Can't see teammates view. This was a great part of the original HW. I could see where my teammate was looking, and get a feel for their next move. Please bring it back.
Overall I really enjoy this game. The only major con I think needs 100% fixing is the teammate quitting situation. Great job so far with this game!
I would say good valid points
NOOOOOO NEED LTAND LB SWAPPED!!!!!!!!!
The Domination gamemode is smart for quicker games, but as the only playable gamemode limits actual army v army engagement and makes the games feel forced/rushed. It takes away a large part of what Halo Wars was.
Great game even though the beta is limited! I would love to be able to pull the camera out just a touch more. Also I would love to be able to scroll across the map quicker. I know there are quick jumps with the D pad but sometimes I want to go to a part of the map (where my ally is attacking or moving) where I can't jump to. In the first HW you could hold the L trigger to speed up the map scroll. I know this is used for hero powers but maybe there is another solution like a toggle click with the L or R thumb stick.
I wanted to play this game a good bit before giving my feedback. I am currently level 10 and have only played Cutter. Simple pro and con list will suffice.

Pros:
- I like having to level my base up to unlock upgrades, base slots, etc. rather than using reactors
- I've gotten use to and enjoy there being two different types of materials to gather (supplies and energy)
- I really like the increased build speed of the buildings
- Increased movement speed of the units is always a plus

Cons: (most important first)
- Where are my 3 Spartans? This is a defiant issue.
- Do not change my controls from the first Halo Wars, or add an option to switch.
- I need my healing field from the get go
- The whole leader tree is confusing and I end up not even using it

There are plenty more of both, but I will not bore people with an exhaustive list.
Sorry 343 but u dropped the ball. I understand this is a beta but why wouldn't you do with death match in stead u chose a worthless new mode u made I mean come on it's literally use the starting unit to capture spots and screw around no real stratagem there. The game works alright I've played 7 games and been paired with 4 ppl that weren't even there the whole game. The worst part of the game is now I'm having to build 2 separate "supply pads" and build up 2 different supplies that's dumb you should of left it with just the one and the other be like the reactors in hw1 I didn't really see the need for 2 building doing the same thing or even changing the names of most of the buildings. Honestly so far I'm not impressed and I was a general in hw1 and would honestly rather play it over this. Sorry
I really like this game, but heres what I think would make it better. The total unit population of 60 is too low, I know you can upgrade it but even then its still really low. There needs to be some buff or support to the player when a temmate quits, because then its just 1v2 and unless the players on the other team are really bad it's almost impossible to win. The load screens are really long. I've noticed a bug where the icons for your commandeers abilities are wrongly displayed and sometimes the mac cannon for Cutter doesn't work. You should be able to scroll across the map faster if you push down on the left stick (like you would do to run in a game) because the scrolling speed is really slow. You should also be able to zoom out more. The laser beam ability for Atriox doesnt do enough damage. Dropping ODSTs on ememy units should damge them. It would be really cool if you could play as the flood and the prometheans (I'm not sure if that would connanically fit with when the game takes place). You usually only get like 4-6 upgrade points in the ability tree, so theres a lot of cool abilities you don't get to use. I've not once made it to the final tier in the ability tree. It's hard to see your units if you are on the blue team because the map is blue. I wish the game was more tacticul with units, it seems like you just send a group of units into a battle and it's luck of the draw who wins if the units are somewhat evenly strengthed because it's so hard to control which units you want to attack which enemy units. In the time it takes me to tell a unit to target this enemy, one of them is probably already or almost dead. There should be a cover system in the game and you should be able to fortify units, like you tell the infantry to get behind some rocks or you put down some sand bags for them to get behind. You should be able to fortify vehicles by putting some sand bags infront of them, the vehicle would have more health but can't move until it comes out of the sand bags. For the covenant it could be some shield thing instead of sand bags, like the ones in halo 3 and reach. The flamethrower units and brutes with gravity hammers should be able to pull out a sidearm and damage air units. Thanks for listening 343!
Some thoughts based on one game.

Need to be able to zoom and out further. This probably wouldn't be such a big deal on PC, but when playing on a TV, and sitting further away, it would be a huge help.

Different colours for you and your allies.

More voice overs, this is especially important while trying to wrap your head around a new game and mode. More voice overs would help contextualise the action and events occurring in a match.

More noticeable highlights on objective points. It took me a while to work out what I was meant to be doing and where I was meant to be going.

A way to switch between different units faster. Age of mythology had a nice cycle feature that was a great way to quickly check on your units.
- I think players should be able to zoom out on the map more
- I think the units cost alittle too much unit capacity or increase the unit capacity so it feels like a larger battle
I played a game tonight, and found four big problems that really stuck out:

1. There is no skirmish mode for Player vs. AI. Makes it hard to learn the game before hoping into multiplayer. Should be added to the beta ASAP!

2. There is no good way to get an overview of where all your units are. I would love to be able to hit a button and see an overlay of the map on the whole screen, and be able to micromanage the units, or quickly hop to any known position on the map. I found that at the end of my match I had plenty of resources, and several bases, but could not build any powerful units, and no idea what units I actually had, or where they were on the map. It was way too easy to spread your units too thin, and then loss them altogether. A simple map overlay, and some unique icons for the unit types could make it very easy to quickly find where all your units are, and where they need to go. Hell you can do a triangle for air units, circles for troops/scout vehicles, and squares for heavy vehicles; that could work and shouldn't be that hard to put into the game before launch. There's already a mini-map in the corner, but it's so small it's hard to utilize.

3. You could not zoom out very far, this was a problem with the first Halo Wars, and I would very much like to get a little further back. The map overlay would help solve this issue if it is a hardware limitation of some kind.

4. The maximum unit count is way too small. I believe I could only have 60 units, which felt puny. Worse, my game dropped a player from each team, so it was 1 v 1 the whole game. We barely even had any enemy engagements, and the map felt empty. This was probably the biggest problem with the first Halo Wars, and something that should be heavily worked on to bring it up to 80, if not 100. I understand the intent is 2 vs 2, so in total there would be hypothetically 240 units on the field; however it still feels like a low bar. I suppose 75 unit points to each commander would make it a clean 300 units on the field, but that's still very small compared to other RTS titles.

Perhaps playing on PC will help when the game finally comes out, but I'd like to play on both since it's supposed to be a cross-buy title. On a side note, I never got the unit mapping to work during my match. I could have sworn the tutorial said you can highlight a unit and map them to the D-pad, but the D-pad always defaulted to cycling through bases, or moving to the last highlighted unit. Honestly the D-pad was hugely unhelpful, perhaps if you could map units to the 4 paddle buttons on the back of the Xbox One Elite controllers, a player could select a big squad of units and quickly select them later if they are moving units around in big lumps. At the very least, it would be an easy way to get nearby units to a contested spot. Especially if you are smart enough to map air units and heavy tanks to separate paddles. I would consider this move to be hugely unfair to players on normal Xbox One controllers, since Elite buyers would have more functionality. However, given how limiting a controller is for the RTS genre, it should be considered for addition. Maybe it's not fair, but it could make the game more playable on console.
SecuriBear wrote:
The game itself would leave a better impact if it wasn't Multiplayer... Uninstalled due to the very poor matchmaking and speed. Doesn't leave much to do, just rush and claim victory. We won with marines against tanks... and hornets... Weak players, weak Its only the beta it wasnt meant to be in my opinion the game is awesome and perfectly balanced
Barbarian1 wrote:
I loved HW 1 so much and play it for hours on end, I still play it to this day! The game mechanics of it are what has kept me playing it for so long. I was so excited for this beta to come out and tbh I was disappointed. I have hope that the final version of this game could be good though, that's the point of having the beta right? There are some good things about this game though.

1) The introduction of more units to this game.
This is arguably the best thing about the beta, I'm going to stick it out in hopes that all the bad parts of it will become good. One of the few things I didn't like with HW1 was that there were only 3 units in each of the different buildings. So thank you for adding more!

2) The artwork for the buildings and the troops looks pretty cool.
Never hurts to update those and it caught my eye at first.

3) The new game mode.
I would definitely not recommend this game mode to be the highlight of the game at all, but having this and multiple other game modes(possibly even 4v4 or 5v5) would give a good amount of options to choose from. They're all different types and strategies to pick from, and this would be a fun one occasionally. It would also be nice to make it so tickets are lost/gained at a slower rate.

4) Power nodes
I love this idea of having more tactical points to capture! It makes getting resources less of a focus so more time can be put into training/upgrading units and implementing strategies.

Now to the things that I personally did not like about the game.

1) The lighting and color scheme.
The idea of having an updated look to the game is good but it was not put into action very well. It is difficult to tell who's units are who's and it was also difficult to see things in general. There needs to be more contrast in color since the whole point of this game is having different teams fighting each other. Being blatantly obvious who is on what team like HW1 had was very nice. Especially when there were multiple players spread throughout the battlefield. Also the weird shield thing on the outside of the map just looks dumb, please get rid of this.

2) The controls
I don't see any reason the controls had to change, there was nothing with how they flowed in HW1. Why fix something that isn't broken?

3) The battling mechanics
I'm not sure what happened to the mechanics from HW1 because the way all the fighting happened in that game was great. For the lack of a better word it feels sloppy to me. To me it felt like the units weren't matched up correctly and we're kind of just shooting wherever. I want the control we had from HW1, and even the sound effects. There was just absolutely no need for this change and this is probably the worst part of the beta for me.

4) The new resource power
This was just a dumb move, if the tech level can be upgraded via the base, why add another resource? This isn't farmville I just want to have massive armies and epic battles. I don't want to focus my time and base slots on getting resources. Yes resources are definitely part of the game, but having too many to collect and focus on getting changes the point of the game. Either get rid of the power feature completely and just have tech level upgraded in the base or get rid of them both and go back to the reactors.

5) The population
The default population size is bigger and that is great, but that has done nothing because the population needed from each unit has gone up. I would love to see an even higher default population and putting the population needed by each unit back down to how it was. Or just exponentially grow the population and leave the units how they are, either way please don't advertise about bigger battles if this is what you give us.

I loved the first Halo Wars game so much and hope I can love the sequel the same if not even more! There's just been some unnecessary changes from the 1st one to the 2nd one and it's disappointing to see it go that way. Basically, I think a lot of us fans would agree we want to see the mechanics and lighting techniques of the 1st one but add bigger armies, more unit types, and an awesome new story!

I'm sure there are good and bad things I missed but I just wanted to give some feedback on my thoughts. I will still be buying the new game because I loved HW1 so much, I just hope I won't be disappointed by giving you my money. This is just the beta after all and anything could change up until February!
The statement about population is correct. And I want the fact of decreased unit cost, population wise so that we can get the Halo Wars epic battles we were promised.With armies that are currently less than even the Original Halo Wars...
Sorry 343 but u took a really great game screwed it over. I understand it's a beta and we only can have access to just a small part of it but u went with dominion over death match. Come on. This mode does have small potential but there needs to be several changes to it. This mode requires you to capture points and hold them to win. Not a bad idea but really there not guarded I can take all of them with the units I start with no upgrading or building required that's pretty stupid if you ask me. I know u don't want to make it too hard but it's just way to easy to get it it needs to atleast require u and ur team mates starting units to take 1. As for the game I really don't understand why there was a need to make 2 "supply pads" one for supplies and 1 for energy. U shouldn't have to manage 2 that's kinda pointless change it back to the reactor from hw1 that made good since and there was actually a strategy of setting up your back to protect it. Also was there really a need to change the buildings names. And what's with the 1 dumb Spartan atleast let us name him or something if we only get the one. 3 Spartans weren't really that powerful but human side fells much weaker since loosing 2 Spartans.There needs to be a major fix with match making Ive played 7 games and been paired up with 4 ppl that weren't there or quit in the first min. Maybe have ai step in and boot other player if he doesn't build base in first 5 min of game atleast that's something to help. I haven't got to play much and experience the leader stuff but I do really like that main base has turrets at state that prevents some rushing. After playing this I have to say it really makes me want to go back and play hw1 over this plz fix this stuff
the new generator idea is great, Its super clever
Will be a great Game!!
The beta fails to boot, after pressing the start button, quickly press the B button to skip and can not be frozen game.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 27
  4. 28
  5. 29
  6. 30
  7. 31
  8. ...
  9. 59