2. ...
  3. 5
  4. 6
  5. 7
  6. 8
  7. 9
  8. ...
  9. 23
Just played a 5 hour marathon and I really like where the game is at. I have played Halo wars since launch and have multiple accounts w general rank (not an indication of skill, but rather lots of time spent playing). My notes;

1. adrenaline available as 1st tier purchase with CPs seems too soon given the massive boost it is for infantry utility.
  2. Reactor nodes are super easy to grab early on (no creeps), and doesn't require garrisoned unit. This creates way too big of an advantage early on for the player who wins them.
  3. cyclops are so effective vs vehicles it makes going mech very easy to counter.
  4. Infantry feels overpowered.
  5. having cloaked units is adding a level of complexity to this game that I think is unnecessary given the appeal of hw1 was simplicity in a console rts.
  6. there is currently no ability to queue up movements or actions that I could find. (Go here and collect crates, then go there).
  7. having multiple ways to upgrade units (both abilities and the health/dmg boost) is too complex and takes away from the simple console rts. In hw1 anytime a unit upgrade ability there was an automatic hp/dmg boost. I couldn't find a way to compare my units with opponent to know if I'm behind on upgrades. One of the great parts of hw1 was being able to know to engage if you have the advantage in upgrades. It feels as though the tech tree is doing too much work.
  8. Having to build a mini fire base to use extra pads on the map is counter intuitive to me and I just don't like it.
  9. upgrading 2nd bases shouldn't cost as much if you already have a base with a higher tech level. It makes sense to have initial upgrade to a higher tech cost a lot, but don't charge me the same to add on 2 new pads.
  10. Bring back auto stick when you hover the unit selector near a units hit box. Selecting units to focus fire (sentinels) is annoying and this feature from hw1 was a nice option.
  11. Scorpion tanks should switch places with the wolverine and the anti infantry siege unit. Scorpion should be tech 2 and the others should be tech 3. Siege should also require upgrade as it is very effective Range and damage.
  12. no upgrades for hornets? I'm hoping this one is just cause the beta was forced out to correspond w e3.
  13. too soon to say if it is just the game type, but based on the cost of units and upgrades vs the supply/energy collection rates, there is no downside to expanding to a second base as soon as the game starts. The first game I played I tried to stay on one base and it was boring because you just sit and watch the resource counter and wait. I kind of hated the pace the first time I played. Now that I know to fast expand it is fine. If things stay the same, please don't ever make maps with no open second base spots. Currently being rushed is a non issue so expanding has no downside.
  14. assuming you are going to have 2 bases (see 13), or lots of extra pad sites on the map, there is no strategic trade off to making air pad vs barracks vs garage. You are going to have 2 base anyways, so just build all 3. Scouting becomes less important if there is no time involved in tech switching.
Thank you for considering my feedback.
Certain vehicles don't looks like the should, the Scorpion looks nothing like any scorpion previously, not the traditional one or the new halo 5 one, change this. The Hornets are quite cool though how they are a bit longer!

the banished base is alright but needs a bit more of a covenant attribute to it I think, it just looks like a ram shackle base at he moment

the generators on the human base need to change as they don't look very halo really, I can see where they are coming from but they don't look quite right

Colours need to be more like halo and less cartoony
The beta is decent.I would like to see more unit variety. Units should not take up so much command points.The gameplay should be a bit more fast paced.The original form of power should be implemented into the final product
Liking the units so far, really missing my beloved cobra though. Wish the Nightingale had some combat capability, but understand that it would need to be small as it is a support unit. Not a HUGE fan of the design of UNSC bases, and would prefer the classic bulkier more Fortress like look, although the fieldbase design is kinda cool. I don't know, overall I'm a little iffy on the whole thing. I need a skirmish game with just some friends to really test things out and see how it all works, like the demo for the original. So a rundown of critiques:
-"Improve" Nightingale
- Possibly change the art for UNSC bases only, the units look just fine
-Bring back Cobra (please) :)
Love all these units, the one thing Bothering me is how jerome "runs" to wherever you tell him to go. He looks like if he's jumping over daisies lol. Also captain cutter's power ups, why can i not use them?!? :(
Second that. Particularly captain cutters power ups. They kind of freeze. Some times they work. Sometimes they don't.
Banshees die in seconds. The same with hornets. Blister backs are ok, haven't used them much. And Vultures are not like they were.
Plus the scorpion tank is op and needs a Nerf.Also may I add that marines/grunt squads are some how able to easily take out banshees/hornets.

-As much as I love using them a nerf on the invisibility the snipers gain after firing, leads to a scenario where a micro managed sniper squad can be near un-killable.
Yea I was just playing against someone using Snipers a lot, I had warthogs and hornets attacking them and the way they just dissapear is pretty OP I think. Plus if they are garrisoned in cover they get a ton of health. Hoping they get nerfed a bit tbh.
Love all these units, the one thing Bothering me is how jerome "runs" to wherever you tell him to go. He looks like if he's jumping over daisies lol. Also captain cutter's power ups, why can i not use them?!? :(
Purchase upgrades with the back button (or whatever it's called now) and then hold left trigger and then select a power.
S117TaUrO wrote:

¿WHERE ARE THE FORERUNNERS?

have you not noticed not all the leaders are avalible for play calm your self tardbarge and they never said the forerunners would be playable
they are holding back only 4 leaders.
this means either we are getting one or two of many different factions or it will just be 3 unsc and 3 covenant
Hey 343, as much as i love the HW2 beta i believe it has alot of flaws in the occording build. While it is just a beta in general and will have many issues to come throughout the entire course of the beta, i thought i would help you guys out at the studio with a little bit of even my own feedback, of course as this thread states, UNSC feedback specifically.

First off, alot of what im about to address is probably already fodder of what people have already stated. But i thought i would give my own two-sense anyway. Where is the all units button? Why is there a rally flag option at the tip of the d-pad button? And another thing that i really think needs to be addressed is the slow paced movement of domination, yes i know this is only unsc feedback, but i thought i could say that anyway, and trust me, i will go into the domination thread later and give that personal honest opinion of mine. Another thing too is that there needs to be a quick way on the battlefield to easily pop out your leader abilities and powers, just like the original classic halo wars. For example, to obtain these powers such as the spirit of fire mac blast or the captain cutter odst drop pods all you neccessarily needed to do was use the optional dpad. It was simple to understand and easier to implement occording to the battlefield. That i feel needs to be changed for the final product of the game, i also still dont understand the reasoning behind putting a rally flag point option on the dpad, but hey its just a beta and things will be changed hopefully.

I will continue to give my threaded feedback in the course of the following days as i continue to continuously play the fun beta, im loving the game, the sound of the story mechanics and im ultimately just loving the sound of how massive the final game will be. I love everyone at 343 and i enjoy being involved in helping in anyway i can to progress and evolve their games further and better. Thanks 343 for your time, reading and patience and thank you for even making this game, its because of your guy's compassion and listening that we are getting this longly anticipated game. Thanks, and expect to hear more feedback from me very very soon! :)

- Venial
As a hw1 player the playsame as cutter most of the time there are a few things that see a little off with the hw2 unsc.

The mac is weak. Even fully upgraded it barely takes out a tank. Un upgraded only damages marines. This not the mac blast I am used to. It should be full power enough for one tank and the upgrades should be for extra rounds or reduced cool down.

The odst single drop is sad. Where are my 10 squads ready to battle. One unit dropped is not really a leader power, and they don't seem as powerfull as fully upgraded marines. The last tier power for odst group is pretty cool, but rarely gets used in these short matches on domination.

Having to upgrade both the unit individually and the unit type is annoying. Hw1 had a hp and damage boost for each upgrade. There is too much going on with the unit upgrades for a console rts.

I am a bit concerned that there is toone much focus on the domination game type to where there is a unit (Jackrabbit) specifically designed for the game type. Maybe it is supposed to be a scout unit?, but it is going to be useless for anything else. Bring back the scout hog instead.

Also what is up with having to upgrade the Marines to have grenades, but the hog comes with a turret?

I am glad the the unsc has a ranged anti infantry unit finally.

I hope the unit veterans go back to stars instead of numbers. Also is there a max veteran. And I have not been able to tell if when the spartan takes a veteran vehicle it adds the veterancy. The games are too short for that.

Also what happened to the other Spartans? Did they get lost? And the spartan upgrade tree is bad. Hijack should be a default setting, maybe give us the 3 Spartans with different final we on upgrades, one laser, one sniper and one chain gun. That would add some more micro to the Spartans and force a decision of which ones you want to use to Hijack.

The air units are fine. Weak but fine, maybe some wingman upgrade for the hornets for some added damage as an upgrade.

I miss forges cyclops. They were the base destroyer. Watching them take a piece of a supply pad and use it to beat a marine was one of the best parts of hw1. If unsc needs anti vehicle give us back the cobra.

And now the elephant in the room, or should I say not in the room. H3 had elephants, HW had elephants. Did bungie take them with them when they left? These things were great for the unsc to hold a little piece of the map against the leaders that could bring in whole armys. I'd be happy if it could just be used for marines since they are so powerful.

Pelican drops are also missed. Re-creating the Berlin airlift with your entire army answer you fly in behind enemy lines was always fun. Lining up wolves to shoot down incoming pelicans was also great fun.

Pop limit is odd. You increased total population, but reduced the number of squads on screen. It like magic. I was trying to build more marines at 58/60 and was wondering why they never built. At first I thought I was low on resources, but no they count a 3 pop. That was a tank. Marines, a basic unit are 1 pop, reduce the cap if needed for balance, but 1 pop for basic infantry, 2 for strong infantry. 2 pop for average ground force, 3 for strong (tank),

In the end It feels like the people making this game never played the first one or have even seen game play of it. I would recommend everybody on the design team play the original for a week on Xbox live. See what works and what doesn't. There is a lot of new stuff that seems cool, but it is missing a lot of what made the original fun.

I am most happy playing as the unsc in HW2 compared to hw1 because I don't have to worry about being leader rushed in the first minutes of the match.
Aeriojp wrote:
As a hw1 player the playsame as cutter most of the time there are a few things that see a little off with the hw2 unsc.

The mac is weak. Even fully upgraded it barely takes out a tank. Un upgraded only damages marines. This not the mac blast I am used to. It should be full power enough for one tank and the upgrades should be for extra rounds or reduced cool down.

The odst single drop is sad. Where are my 10 squads ready to battle. One unit dropped is not really a leader power, and they don't seem as powerfull as fully upgraded marines. The last tier power for odst group is pretty cool, but rarely gets used in these short matches on domination.

Having to upgrade both the unit individually and the unit type is annoying. Hw1 had a hp and damage boost for each upgrade. There is too much going on with the unit upgrades for a console rts.

I am a bit concerned that there is toone much focus on the domination game type to where there is a unit (Jackrabbit) specifically designed for the game type. Maybe it is supposed to be a scout unit?, but it is going to be useless for anything else. Bring back the scout hog instead.

Also what is up with having to upgrade the Marines to have grenades, but the hog comes with a turret?

I am glad the the unsc has a ranged anti infantry unit finally.

I hope the unit veterans go back to stars instead of numbers. Also is there a max veteran. And I have not been able to tell if when the spartan takes a veteran vehicle it adds the veterancy. The games are too short for that.

Also what happened to the other Spartans? Did they get lost? And the spartan upgrade tree is bad. Hijack should be a default setting, maybe give us the 3 Spartans with different final we on upgrades, one laser, one sniper and one chain gun. That would add some more micro to the Spartans and force a decision of which ones you want to use to Hijack.

The air units are fine. Weak but fine, maybe some wingman upgrade for the hornets for some added damage as an upgrade.

I miss forges cyclops. They were the base destroyer. Watching them take a piece of a supply pad and use it to beat a marine was one of the best parts of hw1. If unsc needs anti vehicle give us back the cobra.

And now the elephant in the room, or should I say not in the room. H3 had elephants, HW had elephants. Did bungie take them with them when they left? These things were great for the unsc to hold a little piece of the map against the leaders that could bring in whole armys. I'd be happy if it could just be used for marines since they are so powerful.

Pelican drops are also missed. Re-creating the Berlin airlift with your entire army answer you fly in behind enemy lines was always fun. Lining up wolves to shoot down incoming pelicans was also great fun.

Pop limit is odd. You increased total population, but reduced the number of squads on screen. It like magic. I was trying to build more marines at 58/60 and was wondering why they never built. At first I thought I was low on resources, but no they count a 3 pop. That was a tank. Marines, a basic unit are 1 pop, reduce the cap if needed for balance, but 1 pop for basic infantry, 2 for strong infantry. 2 pop for average ground force, 3 for strong (tank),

In the end It feels like the people making this game never played the first one or have even seen game play of it. I would recommend everybody on the design team play the original for a week on Xbox live. See what works and what doesn't. There is a lot of new stuff that seems cool, but it is missing a lot of what made the original fun.

I am most happy playing as the unsc in HW2 compared to hw1 because I don't have to worry about being leader rushed in the first minutes of the match.
I agree. We need more ODSTs and a proper population cap. We were promised the largest encounters ever, yet the math adds up to them being the same size.
Downloaded the game now it won even lunch I'm stuck on the Thank you for Participating screen I says to press A but nothing I happening I have reset my Xbox and still nothin this sucks
The air units need to be buffed they should be ones that can be good against infantry. Also those hunters maxed level are pretty much indestructible I love using them but no real balence. Lastly most infantry should not be able to withstand so much firepower, we have them surviving tank shells and anti infantry troops too long. That's about it the beta is great just these few things are very frustrating sometimes but overall great game and will pick it up in February.
I was a general in Halo Wars 1.

Only 1 spartan? The point of 3 spartans was to put them in vehicles and gain 13-14 star veterancy. With only 1 spartan, and having to upgrade to hijack, the veterancy mechanic is essentially ruined.

HW1: 3 spartan grizzlies (up to 14 stars) and 10 wolverines (unstoppable)
HW2: 1 spartan tank and 10 wolverines (useless).

I can no longer have a diverse army without spamming units.

Zoom out? The zoom level is disappointing and disorienting. Can we zoom out more?

Left bumper to select all units quickly? Bring this back, I don't want to HOLD the right bumper.
itZ Venial wrote:
Hey 343, as much as i love the HW2 beta i believe it has alot of flaws in the occording build. While it is just a beta in general and will have many issues to come throughout the entire course of the beta, i thought i would help you guys out at the studio with a little bit of even my own feedback, of course as this thread states, UNSC feedback specifically.

First off, alot of what im about to address is probably already fodder of what people have already stated. But i thought i would give my own two-sense anyway. Where is the all units button?
Did nobody even listen to the tutorial??? "To select all units press an hold the right bumper" I have seen so many people complain about this so please spread the words so less people ask a question that has already been answered. EDIT: idk why this was posted twice
itZ Venial wrote:

First off, alot of what im about to address is probably already fodder of what people have already stated. But i thought i would give my own two-sense anyway. Where is the all units button?
Did nobody even listen to the tutorial??? "To select all units press an hold the right bumper" I have seen so many people complain about this so please spread the words so less people ask a question that has already been answered. EDIT: idk why this was posted twice
The only thing that bothers me is that I like the sniper to have the classic SRS-99 sniper rifle like every other Halo, and perhaps upscale the cyclops to a similar size as shown in the badass trailer. Other than that I'm perfectly fine though I got to know if some units, ex. Cobra or Elephant, will make a comeback? I really loved those and I really hope for a good story campaign out of this. Do your best 343, I still have faith.

Oh and a little more diversity with the marine squad, maybe have one or two armed with battle rifles rather than all having assault rifles.
itZ Venial wrote:

People are complaining because holding a button takes time, its sloppy, and it's terrible when in combat. I use the Select all units constantly as my primary unit selection method (using R to filter). Having to hold the button is a tragedy. It's slow. It was one of the most critical buttons in the game and we need to be able to do it quickly with a single, dedicated click.
hi just a small matter id love to know about why are the unsc infantry so strong i dont think 3 should kill a tank a bit op
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 5
  4. 6
  5. 7
  6. 8
  7. 9
  8. ...
  9. 23