Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo Wars Series

My opinion on Halo Wars 2. Devs, please read this.

OP Almighty Syko

Let me start off by saying I've played A LOT of Halo Wars. Too much, if I'm being honest. I made numerous free accounts just to get them to the rank of General, simply because I enjoyed the climb. When I found out that Halo Wars 2 was actually being made, I was both hyped and skeptic. Hyped because OMG A SEQUEL!!!!!! Skeptic, because a different company was making it. Now, after 2 hours of playing the beta....

This is NOT Halo Wars. It has the same name, and the same universe, even many of the same units... but it feels like a completely different game. This is my list of things that I immediately dislike, almost to the point of not wanting to buy it.

1: Generator income/Base upgrades replacing Reactors. What? Why? This feels clunky and inconvenient. Not to mention time consuming. Halo Wars does not need another resource. Do not turn this game into another Starcraft ripoff, please allow it to keep its unique feel.

2: Unit upgrades where? As far as I can tell, Vehicles and Air units only have one upgrade. I could be wrong since the user interface is slightly overbearing, but I don't see power turrets/chaff pods or their equivalent tier upgrades. Are they gone? If so, why? What kind of pacing are you trying to introduce, and why are you removing upgrades from that equation?

3: Control changes. OK, this one is simply because of how much time I've spent on the original Halo Wars. I'm having a difficult time adjusting to the bumper and d-pad changes, when there were other buttons that were never used. Why change already allocated buttons? Not the biggest issue though.

I'm not trying to complain here, but I've been waiting forever for a sequel to Halo Wars. This beta does not feel like the game that I love, whatsoever.
I agree on the highest degree is it so hard to build off of the premise of a game that did so well but what you did was use the name and literally change everything else you made the system way too complicated and its way too easy to loose your units and in total i have a large group fo friends who played this beta and we all unistalled the beta after the first four games. so yeah thankyou for blowing a game out of the water that was so close to my heart i have waited all these years for this game and now im starting to think i wasted those years hoping but other than that good graphics.
I agree on the highest degree is it so hard to build off of the premise of a game that did so well but what you did was use the name and literally change everything else you made the system way too complicated and its way too easy to loose your units and in total i have a large group fo friends who played this beta and we all unistalled the beta after the first four games. so yeah thankyou for blowing a game out of the water that was so close to my heart i have waited all these years for this game and now im starting to think i wasted those years hoping but other than that good graphics.
Uhm... It's a beta, a lot can change. You're treating it like the final product
I'm pretty sure this is far from what the game is going to end up like, i mean it is a bta after all so don't shoot it down yet. Most of the finer tuned changes are probably going to be made soon after it's over.
Game needs to be more simpler and easier like Halo Wars 1
I'm sure A LOT of these initial control schemes and upgrades are going to change (wishful thinking). I'm trying to stay positive and contribute by reporting bugs or crashes, as well as new game mechanics. Like the OT I spent a lot of hours playing halo wars and my expectations might be too high for a game that's still on Beta. I'm confident this week we'll see at least some changes or a new map or mode.
cabr00kie wrote:
Uhm... It's a beta, a lot can change. You're treating it like the final product
Betas are not where the core gameplay is decided. If you have to make that many changes by the beta stage, you did something wrong. These are alpha/pre-alpha level of changes.
Unit upgrades are soooooooooo lackluster, don't offer much tactical options, just plain better upgrades.
Beta people. They aren't giving everything yet.
Beta people. They aren't giving everything yet.
As someone else mentioned, these aren't the things that are typically changed in beta testing. My issue isn't with lack of content, it's with the core feel of the game.
I already don't like the way the graphics are lol. It looks like it's going backwards and worse than halo wars one graphics
I already don't like the way the graphics are lol. It looks like it's going backwards and worse than halo wars one graphics
Honestly, I can live with most graphic changes. It's the fact that it doesn't feel like Halo Wars that is really bumming me out. Until today, I would have laughed at the idea of not buying Halo Wars 2. Now, that seems to be the reality.
Estoy triste con lo que le an echó a halo wars es un juego que en un principio fue menospreciado por muchos pero otros vieron su gran potencial para los que le gustó el juego esperaban la segunda parte con ansias y a los que lo menospreciaron esperaban más contenido nuevas razas y cosas así para poderlo apreciar mejor pero no recibimos ni una cosa ni la otra esto no es halo wars esto es un disparate de 343 y sé que este juego iba a decidir el futuro de halo wars y eso me preocupa más todavía por qué como lo veo creo que estoy presenciando la desaparición de el juego y eso me pone triste prefiero que cancelen el juego y hagan una expansión para el uno que se ve y se siente 10 veces mejor aún tengo fe en el juego por favor no me rompan el corazón de esa manera
I'm sad with what an burst into Halo Wars is a game that at first he was despised by many but others saw their great potential for those who liked the game expecting the second half forward and those who despised expected more content new races and things like that so that it can better appreciate but received neither one thing nor the other this is not halo wars this is nonsense 343 and I know that this game was going to decide the future of halo wars and that worries me even more why as I see it I think I'm witnessing the disappearance of the game and that makes me sad I prefer to cancel the game and make an expansion for the one that looks and feels 10 times better still I have faith in the game please do not break my heart that way