Forums / Games / Halo Wars Series

Players quitting early game

OP BigfootFO

So I've been getting into HW2 a good bit lately, and I've found a liking to Jerome. Problem is, I often have an ally quit early in the game. Naturally this gives the enemy an edge, and I was wondering what the best coa is to regain an advantage.

Edit: also note that I'm not that good lol, but I'm learning. I tried a few other heros (aside from Jerome, forge, and colony) and I was trash. Johnson especially, I got wasted every time
It's becoming a recurring problem as the game progresses in age. People who have a decent numbers of games under their belt think they can surmise an incoming defeat and quit too early, or see lower ranked teammates and quit immediately like bottom betas. What many of them pay no mind to is the fact that they are impacting the experience of others who are trying to get into the game. Without knowing it, they are impacting the potential pool of people who may stay long-term.
All that is true, and I understand that along with the possibility that something irl came up that they didn't anticipate. My point is I know it's going to happen, I just want to have my best possible chance when it does. I I'm probably going to be playing Jerome or colony most of the time, if that helps.
Unfortunately all you can do is report them for leaving and hope they get reprimanded. That being said; Jerome and Colony are great solo Leaders. You can build them rather defensively pretty quickly if you know what you're doing. But when you have a team mate who hits the old dusty trail because they don't like their odds, they had something come up, or they d/c'd, you have to realize that you may have to quickly abandon anything you're doing.

The enemy will most likely send rushing units once they see that the opposition is down an ally. Typically this will be either light vehicle or infantry units; it all depends on what your enemy chose.

Atriox/Decimus - Jet Pack Brutes/Elite Rangers/Suicide Grunts (least likely)/Brute Choppers
Arbiter/Shipmaster - Elite Rangers/Ghosts
YapYap - basically a lot of Grunts, Methane Wagons and maybe Marauders
UNSC - Warthogs/Jackrabbits/Flamers/Cryo Blasters (I forget what they're called, this is a Serina exclusive I think)

If you hold that off, they may start to send stronger units like Wraiths and Scorpions. Or they may try to just keep at it, it depends on what rank you're playing at and what the enemy team plays like.

You'll just have to keep experimenting with what works and try to stay adaptable; don't get hard stuck using one type of unit just because that's what everyone recommends.

Note: I'm not an expert and I honestly haven't played Halo Wars since the original back in like, 2011. So I'm not exactly someone you should put all your faith in when it comes to this sort of thing as I only play against AI because I honestly don't feel like I'm good enough to go against real players.
So basically scout, do my best to hold them off, and, if the situation permits, counterattack asap
BigfootFO wrote:
So basically scout, do my best to hold them off, and, if the situation permits, counterattack asap
If you're trying to 1v2 then my own strats are summarised as followed:
1. you go all in on tech 1 the longer the game goes on the bigger their advantages get.
2. Get a strong hero out and you need to micro it well, Colony and Jerome are great for this.
3. Get minis near them asap to get building killers out of so they can be close to your enemy as they train.
4. Focus on supplies With only 1 gen, you only need enough power to buy your hero and then supply you with enough to spend on building killers. If your plan is going tech 2 you've already lost.
5. focus down one enemy at a time, if you manage to knock one out then you're now on mostly even footing, sure did you spend a lot on your rush but at the very least you should still be able to do some damage or take good map control vs the 2nd opponent. As soon as you get tech 2 upgrade your hero and then it's just your standard 1v1 but with a bigger map.

I've put a few videos up under the same name of me doing just this, same name as I am on here :)
Thanks for the info, I'll do my best to put that to good use.
I've put a few videos up under the same name of me doing just this, same name as I am on here :)
I'll be sure to check those out to make sure I get it down. Does it change much if it's a 3v3 becoming a 2v3 or basically the same idea of getting it into a 2v2? Also, what if it's at around the 6-7 minute mark and I already have tech 2?
BigfootFO wrote:
So I've been getting into HW2 a good bit lately, and I've found a liking to Jerome. Problem is, I often have an ally quit early in the game. Naturally this gives the enemy an edge, and I was wondering what the best coa is to regain an advantage.

Edit: also note that I'm not that good lol, but I'm learning. I tried a few other heros (aside from Jerome, forge, and colony) and I was trash. Johnson especially, I got wasted every time
If you do Johnson get the digging in park, then the bunker drop
Rush with your hero, get the first upgrade, and then bunker drop as close to their base as you can. If the bunker gets hurt hop out and use the healing beacon your leader has. They wont do enough damage or health to take fire AND do damage to it, you'll set them back really far enough that you can get a siege turret drop and plant it. Then rush with mantises, but make sure you get the first upgrade. Really useful strat, easily perfected, and you can end games early. But before you get mantises use the supplies you get I
Before getting to tech 2 (for the mantises) on marines, but them in the bunker and then do damage to the base. That's important.
As Jerome, get a barracks out and make snipers and hellbringers in the first 4 minutes and just keep pumping. This is hit or miss. But make sure you also get a mini base with an armory for your hero, and you can get an inspired aura around him. This is important-KEEP YOUR UNITS INSPIRED CONSTANTLY.
IF YOU CANNOT DO THAT OR YOU LOSE YOUR RUSH, GET HORNETS AND UPGRADE THEM FAST. JEROME HAS THE BEST HORNETS IN THE GAME. Best air too. If you have nightingales they beat banshees every time.
I have a strat for the infantry rush, its screenshoted in my camera. Need anything just dm me @johlj on insta and I'll text back.
One more thing, isabel has like the best spartan in the game. If you get the tech 2 machinegun turret and then get scorpions with her leader power that gives them shield, you've pretty much won. But with all these strats you gotta learn to be fast.
BigfootFO wrote:
Thanks for the info, I'll do my best to put that to good use.
I've put a few videos up under the same name of me doing just this, same name as I am on here :)
I'll be sure to check those out to make sure I get it down. Does it change much if it's a 3v3 becoming a 2v3 or basically the same idea of getting it into a 2v2? Also, what if it's at around the 6-7 minute mark and I already have tech 2?
For this game if you try hard enough you can get tech 3 at the 6 minute mark. I usually can get a scarab out as voridus by 8:30 as long as I dont get attacked. It's a gamble though. Shoot for tech 2 by 4 minutes. Cheers
BigfootFO wrote:
Thanks for the info, I'll do my best to put that to good use.
I've put a few videos up under the same name of me doing just this, same name as I am on here :)
I'll be sure to check those out to make sure I get it down. Does it change much if it's a 3v3 becoming a 2v3 or basically the same idea of getting it into a 2v2? Also, what if it's at around the 6-7 minute mark and I already have tech 2?
Same idea for 3v2 it's just a bit more complicated as you have to rely on the fact your ally is at least competent enough to deal with one of your opponents. If they aren't then well even I haven't done any real 3v1s :). Once you hit tech 2 you want to be doing standard solo 3s crushing mode, normally that involves very aggressive use of your hero, reliance on turrets/shields to help you conserve units while still winning fights. You'll probably want to spam vehicle and and normally some counter units depending on what your opponent is doing. You can go air but this will only work against lower tier opponents but if you did manage to knock one of them out early on it is likely they are low tier. If it is still a 2v3 at the 7 minute mark you will almost certainty lose. all players having 4 leader powers, upgraded heroes, strong bases and larger armies will make it much harder to win.

I will also briefly address some of the advice given by others here:
If you are Johnson do not go hero it is far too expensive and weak to be worth it and a having twice as many flamers will benefit you a lot more. I'd normally advise getting heal and pelican as well as it gives you much more manoeuvrability although bunker is a valid option and digging in does give you slightly better turrets for defence.

Snipers can be good but cost a lot of power, more then the amount of 3 flamers or almost 1/3 the cost of grenade throw. Mixing a couple in can be good but they do no base damage and are mainly suited to taking out heroes which is when you should consider getting some but with how power intensive Jerome is it can be very hard to get them, your hero is very costly and flamers do have a non insignificant cost. It is worth remembering if you go Grenade throw you can get combat mechanics on tech 2 which allows you to get cheap AA in the form of marines which along with some Hog and your Hero will easily allow you to roll any pleb thinking mass air is a good strat. While you can go hornet straight away in tech 2 it's a pretty risky strat as they are very supply intensive and most of the time hog will work out better. Jeromes air is mainly made strong by the fact Jerome himself is effective at killing off AA but he is also very capable of killing off AV so his vehicle is also very strong.

The best spartan is also not Alice, while Cutter's Jerome is by far the worse Douglas with his ability to solo wipe air armies is very good and Jerome is able to pretty much tank armies by himself. Alice is good especially as UNSC heroes go but she is not the best.
BigfootFO wrote:
Thanks for the info, I'll do my best to put that to good use.
I've put a few videos up under the same name of me doing just this, same name as I am on here :)
I'll be sure to check those out to make sure I get it down. Does it change much if it's a 3v3 becoming a 2v3 or basically the same idea of getting it into a 2v2? Also, what if it's at around the 6-7 minute mark and I already have tech 2?
Same idea for 3v2 it's just a bit more complicated as you have to rely on the fact your ally is at least competent enough to deal with one of your opponents. If they aren't then well even I haven't done any real 3v1s :). Once you hit tech 2 you want to be doing standard solo 3s crushing mode, normally that involves very aggressive use of your hero, reliance on turrets/shields to help you conserve units while still winning fights. You'll probably want to spam vehicle and and normally some counter units depending on what your opponent is doing. You can go air but this will only work against lower tier opponents but if you did manage to knock one of them out early on it is likely they are low tier. If it is still a 2v3 at the 7 minute mark you will almost certainty lose. all players having 4 leader powers, upgraded heroes, strong bases and larger armies will make it much harder to win.

I will also briefly address some of the advice given by others here:
If you are Johnson do not go hero it is far too expensive and weak to be worth it and a having twice as many flamers will benefit you a lot more. I'd normally advise getting heal and pelican as well as it gives you much more manoeuvrability although bunker is a valid option and digging in does give you slightly better turrets for defence.

Snipers can be good but cost a lot of power, more then the amount of 3 flamers or almost 1/3 the cost of grenade throw. Mixing a couple in can be good but they do no base damage and are mainly suited to taking out heroes which is when you should consider getting some but with how power intensive Jerome is it can be very hard to get them, your hero is very costly and flamers do have a non insignificant cost. It is worth remembering if you go Grenade throw you can get combat mechanics on tech 2 which allows you to get cheap AA in the form of marines which along with some Hog and your Hero will easily allow you to roll any pleb thinking mass air is a good strat. While you can go hornet straight away in tech 2 it's a pretty risky strat as they are very supply intensive and most of the time hog will work out better. Jeromes air is mainly made strong by the fact Jerome himself is effective at killing off AA but he is also very capable of killing off AV so his vehicle is also very strong.

The best spartan is also not Alice, while Cutter's Jerome is by far the worse Douglas with his ability to solo wipe air armies is very good and Jerome is able to pretty much tank armies by himself. Alice is good especially as UNSC heroes go but she is not the best.
First off, you dont use Johnson right if you think a few flames are better. Secondly, Douglass is good but Alice can fire almost constantly. All around she IS the best spartan starting at level 2, which I think I specified already. This isnt an argument. If not I apologize for not specifying that.

Different people are good with different things, I'm not trying to contradict anyone with what I say and you shouldn't either. I'm simply saying what I do.
BigfootFO wrote:
Thanks for the info, I'll do my best to put that to good use.
I've put a few videos up under the same name of me doing just this, same name as I am on here :)
I'll be sure to check those out to make sure I get it down. Does it change much if it's a 3v3 becoming a 2v3 or basically the same idea of getting it into a 2v2? Also, what if it's at around the 6-7 minute mark and I already have tech 2?
Same idea for 3v2 it's just a bit more complicated as you have to rely on the fact your ally is at least competent enough to deal with one of your opponents. If they aren't then well even I haven't done any real 3v1s :). Once you hit tech 2 you want to be doing standard solo 3s crushing mode, normally that involves very aggressive use of your hero, reliance on turrets/shields to help you conserve units while still winning fights. You'll probably want to spam vehicle and and normally some counter units depending on what your opponent is doing. You can go air but this will only work against lower tier opponents but if you did manage to knock one of them out early on it is likely they are low tier. If it is still a 2v3 at the 7 minute mark you will almost certainty lose. all players having 4 leader powers, upgraded heroes, strong bases and larger armies will make it much harder to win.

I will also briefly address some of the advice given by others here:
If you are Johnson do not go hero it is far too expensive and weak to be worth it and a having twice as many flamers will benefit you a lot more. I'd normally advise getting heal and pelican as well as it gives you much more manoeuvrability although bunker is a valid option and digging in does give you slightly better turrets for defence.

Snipers can be good but cost a lot of power, more then the amount of 3 flamers or almost 1/3 the cost of grenade throw. Mixing a couple in can be good but they do no base damage and are mainly suited to taking out heroes which is when you should consider getting some but with how power intensive Jerome is it can be very hard to get them, your hero is very costly and flamers do have a non insignificant cost. It is worth remembering if you go Grenade throw you can get combat mechanics on tech 2 which allows you to get cheap AA in the form of marines which along with some Hog and your Hero will easily allow you to roll any pleb thinking mass air is a good strat. While you can go hornet straight away in tech 2 it's a pretty risky strat as they are very supply intensive and most of the time hog will work out better. Jeromes air is mainly made strong by the fact Jerome himself is effective at killing off AA but he is also very capable of killing off AV so his vehicle is also very strong.

The best spartan is also not Alice, while Cutter's Jerome is by far the worse Douglas with his ability to solo wipe air armies is very good and Jerome is able to pretty much tank armies by himself. Alice is good especially as UNSC heroes go but she is not the best.
One more thing-jeromes air are NKT made strong by Jerome himself. This is wrong in it's entirety. Air is good due to his RALLY effect, giving them more armor and damage at the same time. Also, marines being upgraded costs far too much power if you have a chance of winning a 2v1 rush.
BigfootFO wrote:
~~~
~~~
First off, you dont use Johnson right if you think a few flames are better. Secondly, Douglass is good but Alice can fire almost constantly. All around she IS the best spartan starting at level 2, which I think I specified already. This isnt an argument. If not I apologize for not specifying that.

Different people are good with different things, I'm not trying to contradict anyone with what I say and you shouldn't either. I'm simply saying what I do.
Me being able to comfortably get champ with Johnson makes me think I'm doing something right ;). Alice has the highest single target damage sure but douglas has splash making him a God and his wiggle that let's him wipe air like crazy and Jerome has Aura + mantis. Both are better in general than Alice. And yes I was obviously talking about tech 2 as the starter 3 Spartans are pretty much the same on tech 1.

He's asking for advice and if I disagree with your advice I'm going to tell him why.

Quote:
One more thing-jeromes air are NKT made strong by Jerome himself. This is wrong in it's entirety. Air is good due to his RALLY effect, giving them more armor and damage at the same time. Also, marines being upgraded costs far too much power if you have a chance of winning a 2v1 rush.
Time for heroes (I assume that's what you mean by rally) is only in effect with 40 pop or less that's 10 or less hornets assuming you have nothing else and your hornet is useless at that low pop.

Grenade throw costs less then 3 snipers, so not sure how you can say you can afford to pump them and not alternatively get grenade throw which helps with scouts which are probably the bigger threat to you being able to finish one of them off tech 1.
so when a teammate leaves this puts you at a disadvantage. you have to be skilled to pull off a 2 v3 or a 1v2.a way to combat one of these situations is
1.a fast army. able to move from one side of the map to another
2. adv logistics and a maxed reinforcements helps
u may be able to 2 v 1 but not with a cap of only 80 you need a filled 120
3. map control. people often play scared when in this situation. it is important to try to get power nodes, possibly make a few marines to go in garrisons. you want to be able to see your side of the map and see where they are coming from.

and that’s all i have. there is probably more i couldn’t think of but even if you follow all of these there is still a high chance you loose
so when a teammate leaves this puts you at a disadvantage. you have to be skilled to pull off a 2 v3 or a 1v2.a way to combat one of these situations is
1.a fast army. able to move from one side of the map to another
2. adv logistics and a maxed reinforcements helps
u may be able to 2 v 1 but not with a cap of only 80 you need a filled 120
3. map control. people often play scared when in this situation. it is important to try to get power nodes, possibly make a few marines to go in garrisons. you want to be able to see your side of the map and see where they are coming from.

and that’s all i have. there is probably more i couldn’t think of but even if you follow all of these there is still a high chance you loose
BigfootFO wrote:
Thanks for the info, I'll do my best to put that to good use.
I've put a few videos up under the same name of me doing just this, same name as I am on here :)
I'll be sure to check those out to make sure I get it down. Does it change much if it's a 3v3 becoming a 2v3 or basically the same idea of getting it into a 2v2? Also, what if it's at around the 6-7 minute mark and I already have tech 2?
For this game if you try hard enough you can get tech 3 at the 6 minute mark. I usually can get a scarab out as voridus by 8:30 as long as I dont get attacked. It's a gamble though. Shoot for tech 2 by 4 minutes. Cheers
I don't recommend Ubers unless you can divide their forces. All the enemy needs to shut your Scarab down is a flock of Banshees/Hornets, Blisterbacks, or Hunters/Cyclops. Scarabs are 2k Power and Supplies, you're wasting a lot of resources to summon something the enemy can counter rather easily. And while yes, Scarabs do a lot of damage (especially Voridus' Scarab because of his Infusion Gel), they have very little in the way of surviving anti-vehicle counter measures. So you'd have to build only one Scarab, about 4 Engineers, and everything else (the remaining 60-70 of your pop) would need to be anti-infantry and anti-air mix (Wraiths and Reavers.)

That all can still be destroyed pretty quickly.

But I mean, if you can make it work, by all means.
The only thing I hate more than "early" quitters, ie, people that quit when the match can still go back and forth, are players that refuse to quit when it's obvious that the match is lost. This is a technically a problem on 343's end, as resigning results in a huge amount of experience towards your next rank to be lost, or possibly a quit ban. It is considered bad manners in RTS games to not concede when you don't have a chance at winning. If it's blatantly obvious that you lost the match, and you decide to drag it out for the next 40 minutes, not only are you wasting your own time, but everyone else's time as well. It took me several weeks to get out of Gold in this game, because of teammates that force me to resign. Some people want to move on and play another match, or they simply have other -Yoink- to do with their lives. I don't think I'll ever make it to Diamond in 3v3 for this reason, but I've accepted that fact a while ago. The more I play the less I care about my rank, unfortunately.
But yes, OP, early quitters are extremely annoying too. In fact, players that "disconnect" early do it so much that I have a hard time believing that it's a legitimate connection problem. I've yet to be booted offline when playing. I had a few crashes a while ago, but that was when the devs were fixing the game, and I have a bad connection most of time. Not a single lag-out. I've had several matches where I was dominating early and about to win. Next thing I know some schmuck on my team quits. There's no -Yoink- reason for it either. They just quit and ruin your match.
I get it, we all love Halo, but if you're an early quitter or a tryhard that refuses to self destruct your bases, stick with the campaign or Skirmish. You're ruining the experience for everyone.
Literally the only thing you can do if a teamate leaves is just go all supplies abd rush with a hero and infantry army. Uf your lucky you can take one of them out an even the field. If not, its most likely game over. You can win a 2v3 but it is very hard