Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo Wars Series

Playing Halo Wars 2 for first time and loving it.

OP Matt71

Hey all - new to the RTS scene. Played Halo Wars 1 (campaign) and have wanted to play Halo Wars 2 before Infinite - glad I did. Banished are pretty great. All the new vehicle types (newish) are nice to see.

Not gonna lie, playing for the first time on Easy, as Normal mode was seriously kicking my -Yoink-. Love to blame it on having to use a controller only but probably just me being a noob. On the main DLC now - really happy to see the flood back.

General comments:

*This game really needed mouse/keyboard support. RTS using a controller is wrong. They did a pretty good job with the controller set up, but when Halo Wars 3 hits, please have support for the other.

*Cutter and crew are becoming my fav Halo company. Love the characters. New AI Isabel is a fascinating character. AI with Survivor's remorse is very interesting to me.

*CGI Cut Scenes are FROGGIN AWESOME. Give them a budget to release a 90 min Halo movie with that level of quality. Instant classic.
Matt71 wrote:
Hey all - new to the RTS scene. Played Halo Wars 1 (campaign) and have wanted to play Halo Wars 2 before Infinite - glad I did. Banished are pretty great. All the new vehicle types (newish) are nice to see.

Not gonna lie, playing for the first time on Easy, as Normal mode was seriously kicking my -Yoink-. Love to blame it on having to use a controller only but probably just me being a noob. On the main DLC now - really happy to see the flood back.

General comments:

*This game really needed mouse/keyboard support. RTS using a controller is wrong. They did a pretty good job with the controller set up, but when Halo Wars 3 hits, please have support for the other.

*Cutter and crew are becoming my fav Halo company. Love the characters. New AI Isabel is a fascinating character. AI with Survivor's remorse is very interesting to me.

*CGI Cut Scenes are FROGGIN AWESOME. Give them a budget to release a 90 min Halo movie with that level of quality. Instant classic.
Glad you could play through it! Now give them both a shot on Legendary haha ! (I will say I thought HW1 was harder on Legendary than HW2).

It was nice, especially at the time of HW1 that there was a console-supported RTS out there, because it gave console players the option of having a solid RTS when most of them are primarily on PC. By now, especially with games being available on Xbox and Windows, it would be nice to center it on PC but expand it out to Xbox for Halo Wars 3. RTS games are just so much smoother with a mouse and keyboard.

I was always a big fan of John Forge, and it was nice that they had Jerome step up and replace him in HW2. Cutter has always been fantastic too - I honestly wish there was just more Anders in HW2 as opposed to HW1.
Actually playing Halo Wars 1 on Heroic at the moment; first time through on both, think I was still on the learning curve. Ending of Halo Wars 2 makes me wonder if Cutter & crew may be featured in Halo Infinite. Was a pretty big cliffhanger for Anders.
Hw2 is a great game

I played AoE2 and when i saw Halo wars for first time I tought wow this with a controller its gonna be difficult... But you gotta admit that the controls and gamepley is very worked. Rb and Lb are your best friends on this game jajajaja (laugh in spanish)

And yes the cinematics are beautiful like the H2 anniversary ones.

Also... the end was epic... this is only the begging for Cutter, read team an the rest of the Spirit, I hope that infinite answer some questions of the banished and their purpourse with the ark
HW2 on ledgandry is the toughest campaign of all Halos.

Fight me.
SweepyTV wrote:

Fight me.
What...?

You could finish it while sleeping. Amass army of units; attack??
I plan on buying halo wars 2 and all of the dlc I have been watching youtube videos and the game and story look great
SweepyTV wrote:

Fight me.
that's terrifying to hear. Halo 2 is rough on legendary due to one-shots.

Have they named the new Halo at the end of Halo Wars 2? I know that question is 3 years old now..... Cliffhanger ending screams Halo Wars 3 is a go, or they all appear in Infinite.
I plan on buying halo wars 2 and all of the dlc I have been watching youtube videos and the game and story look great
You won't regret it. Have you played Halo Wars 1? I say start there, since its the same crew/ship. But, it's not necessary, ultimately.
Matt71 wrote:

General comments:

I was on the Halo Wars 2 bandwagon at launch and played the hell out of the game for months.

The story was really well written, the cutscenes were absolutely gorgeous, and the gameplay was a ton of fun.

I was especially excited to find out the Banished and Atriox would be in Halo Infinite, because Halo Wars 2 ends on an open-ended cliffhanger that had to be continued.

Good times ahead for Halo fans.