Forums / Games / Halo Wars 2

Queuing up commands with supply crates and nodes

OP Stamden

So in Halo Wars 1, you could queue up commands for units by Holding X (or on PC, Shift + Click). It still seems to work to some extent in Halo Wars 2, but doesn't seem to work properly in some scenarios.

Probably the most useful application of queuing up commands is to send multiple units out to get the supplies (blue boxes and batty stacks) on the map and plan out what each unit is going to pickup.So you could get supply crate one, and then if another have another supply crate queue'd, it would go to it after it picks up the first one. For some reason though, this doesn't seem to work and you can't queue up commands with supply pickups. Also, you can't seem to queue up commands when you are grabbing one of those energy nodes on the map.

Basically, if you want a unit to pickup supplies or get a node, queuing up commands afterward doesn't work. At least it seems like this. Has anyone figured out a way to do this, or is this just a fundamental mechanic that is missing from the game?
It's missing, but I would love to have it
I just got this game but played a ton of Halo Wars 1. I can't believe you guys made it this far like this. Manually having to command every unit after they do something as simple as get supplies or take a node is so annoying and inefficient.
Shift click does work for multiple supplies, but you need to treat each individual pile as it's own ordered command.
Shift click does work for multiple supplies, but you need to treat each individual pile as it's own ordered command.
I don't see what you mean by this. It still seems like it's impossible to chain together supply pickups without having to intervene.
Stamden wrote:
Shift click does work for multiple supplies, but you need to treat each individual pile as its own ordered command.
I don't see what you mean by this. It still seems like it's impossible to chain together supply pickups without having to intervene.
Supply piles are often split into 2 or more slightly separate piles. Trigger-click on each discernibly different pile itself, or if it's a large pile, try placing two slightly different queued orders on it, and then do the same for any additional piles afterwords.

The first order issued needs to be a trigger-click, and not just the subsequent orders.

This works for me. More or less...

EDIT:

These 2 clips show it being done.
Clip 1/2 - Clip 2/2

Notice in clip 1/2 I only click 2 times and not 3, so they only collect 2 of 3 from the supply cluster.
Stamden wrote:
I just got this game but played a ton of Halo Wars 1. I can't believe you guys made it this far like this. Manually having to command every unit after they do something as simple as get supplies or take a node is so annoying and inefficient.
Tell me about it....
How do you que up moves on console?
jalam wrote:
Hold x instead of clicking it. Atleast thats from what I remember.
Stamden wrote:
jalam wrote:
No that doesn't work anymore. That was the way you did it in HW1, but now that doesn't work. It must be something else.
jalam wrote:
Stamden wrote:
jalam wrote:
No that doesn't work anymore. That was the way you did it in HW1, but now that doesn't work. It must be something else.
Weird, it must be some other command for xbox now then. I know on PC shift-click works, though again it is really screwed up with supply crates and nodes.
If I remember correct , go to advanced controls. Your suppose to hold down the RT to give multiple queue commands . It’s sketchy (worked when it wanted to) so I forced myself to adapt and just do it manually. Def check out advanced controls it’s in there.

Also some people dont know , if you hold down RT and use the Y button to scroll threw your units , it’s a lot more accurate then simply pressing RT, RT, RT, etc.
Stamden wrote:
jalam wrote:
Stamden wrote:
jalam wrote:
Weird, it must be some other command for xbox now then. I know on PC shift-click works, though again it is really screwed up with supply crates and nodes.
Yes, it's done by holding the Right Trigger and then issuing commands with X (while still holding RT).

If you do it right then you will see highlighted waypoints where you placed each queued command. Pressing and holding X is not how you queue commands in HW2. Confirm these controls with whatever control scheme you use.

Also, see New York Legend's tip on Right Trigger + Y for unit selection. It helps.
I would love to use the que command but it is just as clunky to use as scrolling units if not worse. I tried queing command for an entire week once and just could not get it to work right for anything, even gathering supplies.
I would love to use the que command but it is just as clunky to use as scrolling units if not worse. I tried queing command for an entire week once and just could not get it to work right for anything, even gathering supplies.
Yeah I can't believe this basic functionality isnt in the game :(
If I remember correct , go to advanced controls. Your suppose to hold down the RT to give multiple queue commands . It’s sketchy (worked when it wanted to) so I forced myself to adapt and just do it manually. Def check out advanced controls it’s in there
Whenever I do this they only gather like 1/4 of the supply boxes at that node, and then move on to the next location.
Right Trigger + X = queued movement on consoles.