Forums / Games / Halo Wars Series

RUSHING - and why it's OK, but may not be for you

OP CoyDinosaur7909

I know this is a highly discussed topic, and both sides feel strongly about it (those who support rushing and those who do not).
That said, here is my input on the whole "rushing" debate. I previously hated rushing, like a large amount of the people here. I would complain/quit and not have fun whenever I got rushed.

From a competitive gameplay point of view, I learned I needed to accept rushing as part of the game and learned how to fight against them. First I learned how to defend against them, then counter attack them, and eventually start rushing the enemy myself. It's the nature of the game to use everything within the game at your disposal to eliminate your enemy (excluding cheating of course), and high level competitive players realize and respect that.

Also, I realize some players still do not enjoy rushing, even if they come to understand what I previously said. They prefer to tech up, build and army, and have grand battles. I am not saying this is a wrong way to play the game - after all, it is a game and you are supposed to play to have fun in the way that you like. If that is how you enjoy playing, then you should continue to do so.

The way I see it, rushing is a part of high level, hardcore competitive play. The people in this demographic get enjoyment from playing to win and enduring the struggle of battle. I support rushing, but I will also say it is not "fun" being rushed. The enjoyment I receive is at the end of winning a game where I have overcome all obstacles (including rushing) to bring my team to victory.

Players who do not enjoy rushing get enjoyment not solely from winning, but also from the overall experience of the matches played.

There is nothing "wrong" with either way of playing. The only issue is when these two groups of players play against each other (competitive vs casual). This is also the reason rankings are needed/wanted by many players. It provides somewhat of a way to effectively separate these two demographics of players from playing against each other.
Very good post OP.

And exactly as you said is why ranking needs to be reinstated.
i like rushing and fast mass spam of cheaper units, otherwise the game is 15min of nothingness
While I understand why people rush, to win the game, it's not why I play this. So if I do get rushed I will just simply quit and get on with finding a new game. I get my enjoyment out of seeing 2 huge armies colliding in the centre of the map and fighting until eventually one side is destroyed. Those are the types of games I stick with to the very end, even when losing.

I understand that rushing is a competitive game style it's just not something I appreciate coming across, I'm not overly fond of team mates rushing ether as that usually means the games are over before we can get a big fight going.

definitely need ranked and social playlists to try and cater for everyone.
Ranked needs to happen soon I cannot find any good players and if I do they stack the teams 3vs1 343 this needs fixed ASAP.
Good post. Rushing is something I've talked about quite a bit. My perspective might be a bit warped as I'm a 1v1 player and most other players are 2v2 and 3v3 players, but I highly value his community. When I see this community overrun by nothing but utter casual babble, I see the need to correct that. Impossible as that is at this point, I still try. We need more people like the OP to give a unique point of view that casuals can understand. I've never had the patience it takes to refrain from insults in most rushing discussions.
This is an easy discussion for me. If you want to play competitively then play standard and accept that rushing is a legitimate strategy.

If if you want a big battle 15 mins in then play deathmatch and be maxed out and mass units.
This is an easy discussion for me. If you want to play competitively then play standard and accept that rushing is a legitimate strategy.

If if you want a big battle 15 mins in then play deathmatch and be maxed out and mass units.
No just no

No just no
Elaborate. Why would you object to this?

No just no
Cause having big armies in normal mode is more awesome

No just no
Doesn't mean the other players are obligated to sit on their rear while you build up.
It's kind of funny but I have never rushed but I have found myself defending it because it's a RTS strategy not unique to halo wars.

No just no
"Awesome" =/= competitive.
The best game I ever had was a 3v3 that lasted 1 hour and 45 minutes. We'd take some ground they'd take it back and move forward then wed move forward again, until they managed to take out one of my more important bases. While I was rebuilding, the enemy advanced and took out another base. Over the course of the next ten minutes we lost everything. That was the best match I ever played. I understand people like winning, but if the match is over in 2 minutes did you actually play?
The best game I ever had was a 3v3 that lasted 1 hour and 45 minutes. We'd take some ground they'd take it back and move forward then wed move forward again, until they managed to take out one of my more important bases. While I was rebuilding, the enemy advanced and took out another base. Over the course of the next ten minutes we lost everything. That was the best match I ever played. I understand people like winning, but if the match is over in 2 minutes did you actually play?
Yes, then you get to move on to people more worthwhile. Most high level games last 10-20 minutes.
Guys in starcraft, pro players will actually use the SCV (units u start with that gather your minerals) and NOT gather anything and just come straight ur base of course they are weak units and not even attack units but if they outmicro you .. the games over in 30seconds . So please stop calling an attack at 4-5 mins a rush it's insulting to good RTS players. The whole Point of RTS is that every strategy has a counter because the game is balanced. If you wanna play noob games then play blitz mode in the new HW2 or deathmatch in hw1. There no ranking system to match up players of your caliper in hw1 so either step your game up or like my man ludacris simply put it, GET OUT THE WAAAAAAY B!!!! ;)
msq2 wrote:
Yes, then you get to move on to people more worthwhile. Most high level games last 10-20 minutes.
I don't find ten minute games fun. By the time the game's actually started its over. But that's just me
msq2 wrote:
I don't find ten minute games fun. By the time the game's actually started its over. But that's just me
High level games are continuously action packed and require a lot more attention to the micro than the typical casual game.