Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo Wars Series

Serina and how to balance (from a serina player)

OP T1g3rs65

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5
1. Significantly reduce freezing to buildings
2. Split Cryo Advances (first point for ice auras and icebringers and second for siege turret) [maybe I'm not sold on this one]
3. Reduce unit construction penalties to frozen bases
4. Remove the exploit.
5. (most important) Nerf the Bison's wheels they turn so fast you can't even tell that there turning

They Imo should focus on reducing her rushing and base freezing potential while leaving her anti-rushing and defensive playstyle alone. A purely defensive leader like her should not be good at rushing at all and in general not good at destroying bases. She should be protecting her allies and supporting them when necessary. (she is unique in this nature)

(I play Serena I like her alot by far my favorite but her rushing potential and exploit potential will most likely end up getting her defensive nature nerfed into Isabel)
lol "from a Serina main"
lol "from a Serina main"
bwahahahaa yes this comment should not be a thing yet......
Reduce time of freezing and remove some of the snow/frost visuals, it's annoying.
1 no you should increase distance of ice barriers away from buildings. Leave other powers and units alone.
2 if you do that it won't change any thing 1st point crying troopers and nodes 2nd point turrets? No one would get the 2nd point anyway. Just leave that point alone.
3 fix ice barriers and this won't be a issue
4 as in ice barriers exploit this is the 3rd time mentioning this. If not please specify.
5 no bison is fine for now that can wait till next month when we have more time to test.

Early game matters more then any other part. If a leader cannot be aggressive early then that leader cannot take/maintain map control. No map control you lose. Defensive playstyle is not viable in this game. What you unintentionally asking is to kill her where no one will play her. That would be a no, the only change for now is #1 on this list.
Does any other leader have a stronger early game for map control then Serina right now? I think her passive alone defeats all other efforts.
I JG Fox I wrote:
1 no you should increase distance of ice barriers away from buildings. Leave other powers and units alone.
2 if you do that it won't change any thing 1st point crying troopers and nodes 2nd point turrets? No one would get the 2nd point anyway. Just leave that point alone.
4 as in ice barriers exploit this is the 3rd time mentioning this. If not please specify.
5 no bison is fine for now that can wait till next month when we have more time to test.

Early game matters more then any other part. If a leader cannot be aggressive early then that leader cannot take/maintain map control. No map control you lose. Defensive playstyle is not viable in this game. What you unintentionally asking is to kill her where no one will play her. That would be a no, the only change for now is #1 on this list.
How about a buff where Fire/Plasma turrets get bonus damage vs frost units and and are immune to frost, and do the same for Hellbringers, giving them bonus damage vs ice barrier and frost immunity. Possibly let them have a small hidden aura where anything nearby cannot be frost/frozen. It makes a lot of sense to me, and possibly allow Kinsano redline units to not be frozen either. I don't think this would break Serina, as its just one unit that also cannot attack the Ravens, and for Kinsano would only be until her redline wears off. Thoughts?
Does any other leader have a stronger early game for map control then Serina right now? I think her passive alone defeats all other efforts.
Anvil Rounds currently guarantee early map control, I don't think Serina's ice holds up to it.
I JG Fox I wrote:

Yes there can be no such thing as a defensive player in this game unless they are going to not have power nodes in every single freaking map and maybe put neutrals on the mini bases to slow the speed at which people can expand. In Starcraft there wasnt really anything on the map to contest other than positioning, so a defensive playstyle could work for a lot of people. This game is totally different it doesnt work to have a defensive leader. Just remove her ice barrier exploit first and maybe slow the speed of icing. Thats the only changes Serina needs right now.
Anvil Rounds currently guarantee early map control, I don't think Serina's ice holds up to it.
I have yet to lose to a serina who didnt do the ice barrier exploit (only faced one person so far although it was three games in a row) and actually still beat one person who did (SGM Good luck). Anvil round still reigns supreme.
I JG Fox I wrote:

Yes there can be no such thing as a defensive player in this game unless they are going to not have power nodes in every single freaking map and maybe put neutrals on the mini bases to slow the speed at which people can expand. In Starcraft there wasnt really anything on the map to contest other than positioning, so a defensive playstyle could work for a lot of people. This game is totally different it doesnt work to have a defensive leader. Just remove her ice barrier exploit first and maybe slow the speed of icing. Thats the only changes Serina needs right now.
Yeah, I'm thinking the power nodes dynamic wasn't the best choice.
There should maybe be some advantages to gaining map control, such as positioning like you said (higher ground, more sight), but nodes make it so that you have to get scrapping early.
This would be fine if every leader was built to be as aggressive as possible, but they're not. And neither is every player.
I JG Fox I wrote:

There should maybe be some advantages to gaining map control, such as positioning like you said (higher ground, more sight), but nodes make it so that you have to get scrapping early.
This would be fine if every leader was built to be as aggressive as possible, but they're not. And neither is every player.
We have commented in other threads that the maps need more variability like HW1 maps. Its the same 5 power nodes over and over. The teleportation pads are the only thing that add variety to any of the maps other than their size.
I JG Fox I wrote:

We have commented in other threads that the maps need more variability like HW1 maps. Its the same 5 power nodes over and over. The teleportation pads are the only thing that add variety to any of the maps other than their size.
Right.
Essentially every game comes down to being a domination match, because of how important dem nodes are.
I think I've seen someone comment that the maps are limited because of how much work goes into them. I'm not a dev, and don't know what they go through, but maybe it'd be better with fewer nodes and/or more defenses at those nodes so that it was harder/riskier to take them in the beginning.
T1g3rs65 wrote:
5. (most important) Nerf the Bison's wheels they turn so fast you can't even tell that there turning
This is making the game literally unplayable.
T1g3rs65 wrote:
This is making the game literally unplayable.
Yes its really bad lol
I JG Fox I wrote:

She Helps defend your territory as in nodes or anything that you control that is defense. She also helps the more vulnerable leaders survive rushes also defensive. She has early game dominance because of her defensive nature.

Then after that she goes into support.

when did I ever state defense as in sitting at your base doing nothing
I JG Fox I wrote:

1. Was to reduce the bison rush mainly
2. Obviously said I wasn't sold on that idea
3. It still will be because of bison rush
4. First time mentioning
5. Wheels and graphics don't work how long do you need to test that.

I never stated she should do nothing. Defense as in protect and keep map control while supporting your team. You can do all that without exploiting and bison rushing.
I think freeze shouldn't stop production; it already freezes units and deals massive damage, besides wasn't stop production Stasis' stuff? What is the use of Stasis when Ice lets you do the same and more?
lol "from a Serina main"
I'm a Yapyap main and have some complaints about his abilities too. Is it too early to post?
T1g3rs65 wrote:
1. Significantly reduce freezing to buildings
2. Split Cryo Advances (first point for ice auras and icebringers and second for siege turret) [maybe I'm not sold on this one]3. Reduce unit construction penalties to frozen bases
4. Remove the exploit.

They Imo should focus on reducing her rushing and base freezing potential while leaving her anti-rushing and defensive playstyle alone. A purely defensive leader like her should not be good at rushing at all and in general not good at destroying bases. She should be protecting her allies and supporting them when necessary. (she is unique in this nature)

(I play Serena I like her alot by far my favorite but her rushing potential and exploit potential will most likely end up getting her defensive nature nerfed into Isabel)
Not bad ideas. I think they should get rid of building freeze and just do chill.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5