Forums / Games / Halo Wars Series

Shipmaster blitz tips

OP Ado Ulamee

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
Been thinking of getting back into playing blitz. However I admit to being rather unskilled when using shipmaster during this gametype. Are there any recommended deck builds/strategies for shipmaster during bltiz?
I can share you my deck if you want, and then you can practice with it in blitz firefight.
I can share you my deck if you want, and then you can practice with it in blitz firefight.
What's the deck composed of?
1. Grunts for energy collection.
2. Reaver for anti-air.
3. Cloaking Field for when you need to hold a position or push towards one. When used, detect units are the priority targets.
4. Suicide Grunts to deploy in the middle of the enemy army for their death bomb.
5. Bloodfuel Locust for it's range and Siphon keyword.
6. Prowling Reaver for additional AA.
7. Prowling Marauder for supplementary damage dealer. I pair it up with the Ironclad Wraith for good damage.
8. Unstable Banshee for an okay AA and being a better more damaging Banshee. Also has the death bomb that suis have when they die.
9. Blisterback for artillery to protect zones.
10. Ironclad Wraith being a more damaging Wraith and the Guard keyword. Pull it back to your home base when it's health gets low.
11. Glassing Beam for being what's basically a maneuverable nuke.
12. Honor Guard for a good melee hero. Can also be used to collect energy while alive, and can be sent into armies with no detect units in it.while his Cloak is active.
Assassin starting army, as the Prowling Marauders and Prowling Reaver you get at the beginning of a match are much better combat units than Ghosts. Keep in mind though that I only play Blitz Firefight, as I don't have Gold.
2. Reaver for anti-air.
3. Cloaking Field for when you need to hold a position or push towards one. When used, detect units are the priority targets.
4. Suicide Grunts to deploy in the middle of the enemy army for their death bomb.
7. Prowling Marauder for supplementary damage dealer. I pair it up with the Ironclad Wraith for good damage.
8. Unstable Banshee for an okay AA and being a better more damaging Banshee. Also has the death bomb that suis have when they die.
10. Ironclad Wraith being a more damaging Wraith and the Guard keyword. Pull it back to your home base when it's health gets low.
12. Honor Guard for a good melee hero. Can also be used to collect energy while alive, and can be sent into armies with no detect units in it.while his Cloak is active.
Assassin starting army, as the Prowling Marauders and Prowling Reaver you get at the beginning of a match are much better combat units than Ghosts. Keep in mind though that I only play Blitz Firefight, as I don't have Gold.
Can’t tell if you’re a smurf account or just new. Anyways, couple mistakes here that I would like to correct.

1. Use Choppers for energy collection. They’re faster, which allows you to cover more of the map and get more energy. Their ram also does a lot of damage to the canisters and can be used to “snipe” energy.
2. Reaver; check.
3. Cloaking field is a solid ability. Better to kill detect units, then activate it. Rather than the other way around.
4. Really no reason to run Suicide Grunts unless you’re expecting to run into a Johnson player. Since the Teleport fix, they’re not nearly as dangerous. If you are set on running it, use it with a Jump Brute. Drop the Sui, let it die in the center of the enemy, then stun with the Jump Brute.
5. Bloodfuel Locust is risky. Would only recommend using it when you’re ahead and control the ridge.
6. Prowling Reaver is solid. Would only recommend in 1v1, though. Not needed in 2’s and 3’s.
7. Most army comps will have detection. Wouldn’t recommend running Prowling Marauders. Choppers and Prowly Reaver can be used to sneak zones.
8. Don’t run the Unshable Banhsee.
9. Don’t run the Blisterback, especially in 1’s. Can be okay in 2’s and 3’s, but it’s still meh. Locust are better to stack when a head.
10. Ironclad Wraith has its moments, but not a key card. Can be skipped or added, depending on your deck.
11. Don’t use Glassing Beam. There’s no energy return with LP’s like there is with units. Better to use Spirit Assault.
12. Honour Guard isn’t back. Very slept on, IMO. If you have the micro and get the chance to get it out, you can be very annoying with it.
13. Agreed, use the starting army with the Marauder and Reaver. The cloak allows for easy contesting if energy and they offer a higher energy return than the ghosts.
2. Reaver for anti-air.
Can’t tell if you’re a smurf account or just new. Anyways, couple mistakes here that I would like to correct.

1. Use Choppers for energy collection. They’re faster, which allows you to cover more of the map and get more energy. Their ram also does a lot of damage to the canisters and can be used to “snipe” energy.
2. Reaver; check.
3. Cloaking field is a solid ability. Better to kill detect units, then activate it. Rather than the other way around.
4. Really no reason to run Suicide Grunts unless you’re expecting to run into a Johnson player. Since the Teleport fix, they’re not nearly as dangerous. If you are set on running it, use it with a Jump Brute. Drop the Sui, let it die in the center of the enemy, then stun with the Jump Brute.
5. Bloodfuel Locust is risky. Would only recommend using it when you’re ahead and control the ridge.
6. Prowling Reaver is solid. Would only recommend in 1v1, though. Not needed in 2’s and 3’s.
7. Most army comps will have detection. Wouldn’t recommend running Prowling Marauders. Choppers and Prowly Reaver can be used to sneak zones.
9. Don’t run the Blisterback, especially in 1’s. Can be okay in 2’s and 3’s, but it’s still meh. Locust are better to stack when a head.
10. Ironclad Wraith has its moments, but not a key card. Can be skipped or added, depending on your deck.
11. Don’t use Glassing Beam. There’s no energy return with LP’s like there is with units. Better to use Spirit Assault.
12. Honour Guard isn’t back. Very slept on, IMO. If you have the micro and get the chance to get it out, you can be very annoying with it.
13. Agreed, use the starting army with the Marauder and Reaver. The cloak allows for easy contesting if energy and they offer a higher energy return than the ghosts.
Not a Smurf, I'm just new to blitz, not HW2. Just recently found out about Blitz Firefight. Anyway, your analysis on my deck is appreciated. Do you think I need an Engineer? Right now, I've been thinking to swap the grunts for JPB's.
2. Reaver for anti-air.

2. Reaver; check.
Not a Smurf, I'm just new to blitz, not HW2. Just recently found out about Blitz Firefight. Anyway, your analysis on my deck is appreciated. Do you think I need an Engineer? Right now, I've been thinking to swap the grunts for JPB's.
I wouldnt say you *need* and Engineer, but it doesn’t hurt to have one. The heal is very nice, but the shield it offers is a massive advantage.

Definitely swap Grunt for Jump Brutes.
2. Reaver for anti-air.

2. Reaver; check.
I wouldnt say you *need* and Engineer, but it doesn’t hurt to have one. The heal is very nice, but the shield it offers is a massive advantage.

Definitely swap Grunt for Jump Brutes.
K. Thanks man. I'll go do that. I don't have Assault Elites yet, but when I get them, I will be making plenty of changes to my deck.
Well thank you for the help you two.
Ado Ulamee wrote:
Happy to help. Message me here or on Xbox if you have any more questions!

When I’m back home (a week or so from now), we can play a few matches, if you like. It’s much eaider to explain things in-game.
Ado Ulamee wrote:
Happy to help. Message me here or on Xbox if you have any more questions!

When I’m back home (a week or so from now), we can play a few matches, if you like. It’s much eaider to explain things in-game.
Sounds good to me
Get the stupid invisible starting army, send them across the map to where the enemy's power cores will drop. Have a ghost and chopper in your deck so you don't get yoinked by the deck RNG, and send one or the other at the start of the game to another spot where the enemy power cores will drop. If you got both of the first power cores then you pretty much win the game, now you just have to set yourself up in the best positions to deny and grab the next power cores. Spirit Assault got nerfed but I'd still use it whenever you can, and just slap down reavers whenever they make air units. If things get hairy then use your power advantage to just spam scarabs at the end of the game in-between the middle and top or middle and bottom points so you can contest two at once.

I mainly play 2v2 so this might not be applicable to 1s, but it works for me.
"spam scarabs"

terrible
"spam scarabs"

terrible
Yes, it's annoying and it kills the gamemode, but I'm not going to lose 50 CSR from a single match.
Not really fond of the scarab, not that useful for blitz anyway.
Ado Ulamee wrote:
Super units are obnoxious in blitz actually, you can just slap it down to kill their army if they don't run away and steal all of the power positions. Unless they have some really hard core stalling then you'll have the capture points for a while and by the time the timer wears out you will be close to having enough energy for another one. I'm not even going to go into the card combinations that make super units really silly. It's extremely lame, but it works.
Ado Ulamee wrote:
Super units are obnoxious in blitz actually, you can just slap it down to kill their army if they don't run away and steal all of the power positions. Unless they have some really hard core stalling then you'll have the capture points for a while and by the time the timer wears out you will be close to having enough energy for another one. I'm not even going to go into the card combinations that make super units really silly. It's extremely lame, but it works.
I feel like Heroes are a better way to go than a Scarab. At least there's no timer, and most of the time, if not all of the time, they have some pretty good keywords. Just support them with your LP's, and let your army deal with everything else. Super units can be game-changing, like in your example, but you also said "if they don't run away and steal all of the power positions." That's the problem. You might be spending 300 or so Energy for a unit that might not even be able to catch up and kill the retreating enemy army. Once your super unit is out, they've probably amassed an army large enough to take the points until you get another super. Rinse and repeat.
Ado Ulamee wrote:
I feel like Heroes are a better way to go than a Scarab. At least there's no timer, and most of the time, if not all of the time, they have some pretty good keywords. Just support them with your LP's, and let your army deal with everything else. Super units can be game-changing, like in your example, but you also said "if they don't run away and steal all of the power positions." That's the problem. You might be spending 300 or so Energy for a unit that might not even be able to catch up and kill the retreating enemy army. Once your super unit is out, they've probably amassed an army large enough to take the points until you get another super. Rinse and repeat.
By power positions I didn't just mean the capture points, but also where the power cores drop, and the denial spots like the ridges and intersections. IMO just displacing the enemy and taking those places is more important than actually killing their units. You get the next power cores and the high ground, economy and positioning are the most important things in blitz.
Ado Ulamee wrote:
By power positions I didn't just mean the capture points, but also where the power cores drop, and the denial spots like the ridges and intersections. IMO just displacing the enemy and taking those places is more important than actually killing their units. You get the next power cores and the high ground, economy and positioning are the most important things in blitz.
I agree with your stance on what power positions are, but while super units are powerful, their time is brief, and my opinion on them is that as much power that they hold, the investment is not worth a short 30 or so seconds. In my opinion, the only time they can be game-changing is when your opponent is either incompetent at securing those locations, and/or just ignorant at what's going on. If a person were to send a Scarab at me, I would abandon the control zone while it is active, but get the advantage by securing the areas where power cores drop, and advantages in terrain such as the ridge between the two zones. If you attack me with it, cloak my entire army, kill your units with detect and then your Scarab. Same thing with the Condor. Once your super unit is out, your advantage is lost, and the opponent can reclaim their advantage.
Ado Ulamee wrote:
I agree with your stance on what power positions are, but while super units are powerful, their time is brief, and my opinion on them is that as much power that they hold, the investment is not worth a short 30 or so seconds. In my opinion, the only time they can be game-changing is when your opponent is either incompetent at securing those locations, and/or just ignorant at what's going on. If a person were to send a Scarab at me, I would abandon the control zone while it is active, but get the advantage by securing the areas where power cores drop, and advantages in terrain such as the ridge between the two zones. If you attack me with it, cloak my entire army, kill your units with detect and then your Scarab. Same thing with the Condor. Once your super unit is out, your advantage is lost, and the opponent can reclaim their advantage.
I can hold the power cores and the capture zones with a super unit at the same time, if you don't move your army to the opposite side of the map or your home base (where a condor Y ability can still kill units in) then they are going to die. The power income, the time on the points, and the time it takes to reclaim all of the positions add up and it might just win the game outright. This is my perspective from playing 2s, while I'm holding half the map with a super unit and breaking a setup my teammate is doing whatever else and has his own units up to back me up. I don't know if you're referring to mass cloaking or cloaking field but I don't think they're impactful enough to challenge this.

Is this your smurf or are you a new player?
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2