Forums / Games / Halo Wars Series

Shipmaster blitz tips

OP Ado Ulamee

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
Ado Ulamee wrote:
Not really fond of the scarab, not that useful for blitz anyway.
Super units are obnoxious in blitz actually, you can just slap it down to kill their army if they don't run away and steal all of the power positions. Unless they have some really hard core stalling then you'll have the capture points for a while and by the time the timer wears out you will be close to having enough energy for another one. I'm not even going to go into the card combinations that make super units really silly. It's extremely lame, but it works.
I feel like Heroes are a better way to go than a Scarab. At least there's no timer, and most of the time, if not all of the time, they have some pretty good keywords. Just support them with your LP's, and let your army deal with everything else. Super units can be game-changing, like in your example, but you also said "if they don't run away and steal all of the power positions." That's the problem. You might be spending 300 or so Energy for a unit that might not even be able to catch up and kill the retreating enemy army. Once your super unit is out, they've probably amassed an army large enough to take the points until you get another super. Rinse and repeat.
By power positions I didn't just mean the capture points, but also where the power cores drop, and the denial spots like the ridges and intersections. IMO just displacing the enemy and taking those places is more important than actually killing their units. You get the next power cores and the high ground, economy and positioning are the most important things in blitz.
I agree with your stance on what power positions are, but while super units are powerful, their time is brief, and my opinion on them is that as much power that they hold, the investment is not worth a short 30 or so seconds. In my opinion, the only time they can be game-changing is when your opponent is either incompetent at securing those locations, and/or just ignorant at what's going on. If a person were to send a Scarab at me, I would abandon the control zone while it is active, but get the advantage by securing the areas where power cores drop, and advantages in terrain such as the ridge between the two zones. If you attack me with it, cloak my entire army, kill your units with detect and then your Scarab. Same thing with the Condor. Once your super unit is out, your advantage is lost, and the opponent can reclaim their advantage.
I can hold the power cores and the capture zones with a super unit at the same time, if you don't move your army to the opposite side of the map or your home base (where a condor Y ability can still kill units in) then they are going to die. The power income, the time on the points, and the time it takes to reclaim all of the positions add up and it might just win the game outright. This is my perspective from playing 2s, while I'm holding half the map with a super unit and breaking a setup my teammate is doing whatever else and has his own units up to back me up. I don't know if you're referring to mass cloaking or cloaking field but I don't think they're impactful enough to challenge this.

Is this your smurf or are you a new player?
Just new to blitz. I was giving you my opinion on super units. This is basically my thoughts on them: They're powerful, but the time limit is what puts me off from them. I'd rather have a hero in my deck slot.
IMO heroes are very situational in blitz and way too easy to kill unlike the main game, I only feel comfortable running omega team and chosen fulltime in my decks. Otherwise I would save my power for counter units. But then again, I haven't experimented much with heroes.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2