Forums / Games / Halo Wars 2

Smurf accounts

OP ApocalyptoDread

Is it just me or are smurf accounts getting out of hand? Getting to champion and playing against someone boosting a team and then losing 10 champion points is getting so frustrating when you can grind all night just to win 2 points!??
I agree, there's a ton of them popping up now and it's frustrating.
It's insane at this point.
The MMR system needs a major rework. It's almost impossible to climb the ladder if you have an established MMR at this point because the amount you lose for a single loss is about what you stand to gain for upwards of 10 wins.
The MMR system needs a major rework. It's almost impossible to climb the ladder if you have an established MMR at this point because the amount you lose for a single loss is about what you stand to gain for upwards of 10 wins.
Preach my friend PREACH. The Ranking system is soo broken, i dont even bother self destructing bases when its clear i lost. Rank is nothing but a damned grind or for try hards. Too many times i have little to gain and everything to lose.
Aren't SMURF's just the best?

Especially when they refuse to capture a single power node. Allowing the enemy team to quickly get their entire army up to tech level 3. Only to twiddle their thumbs as the enemy decimates your tech level 2 Wolverines and cyclopses with an army of Grizzly's, Hornets, and Nightingale's; just as you catch a glimpse of the enemy condor.

It's absolutely glorious XD

Especially when they refuse to capture a single power node. Allowing the enemy team to quickly get their entire army up to tech level 3. Only to twiddle their thumbs as the enemy decimates your tech level 2 Wolverines and cyclopses with an army of Grizzly's, Hornets, and Nightingale's; just as you catch a glimpse of the enemy condor.

I dont think smurfs are your problem...

I dont think smurfs are your problem...
Yeah fam... A "smurf" in this sense is an established good/great player on a newer/different account (therefore not having the history of thousands of games or high MMR/Trueskill/etc that would help the system balance a game properly).
Think like Jackie Chun in the original Dragon Ball, basically. It's not fair to all the other regular people or newbies cause they got matched against a beast in newbs clothing, and the CSR drop from a loss is identical to getting waxed by a first time player.
To me, it appeared to be an alt account considering it had under 1k Gamerscore despite owning 10+ games; which makes me immediately think license transfer. As I doubt many new players would immediately hit Onyx. Maybe they were being boosted, but if that's so, I figure you wouldn't go into a 3v3 with a random.

But what can you really do? The MMR system seems to be unable or ill-equipped to identify Smurfs; which is made worse by the declining player population. As this makes the prospect of being matched against similarly skilled players less likely and newbie/smurfs more likely. I guess it's good that there is an influx of new players, but how long that'll last given they'll eventually go up against a Smurf; which is going to leave quite the sour impression.
Smurfs are a bigger issue in teams because you can throw a new account in with 2 Champion accounts and the champions will gain large amounts of CSR for beating mediocre teams. In addition, A team of diamond ranked players playing the 2 champion and new account team will get hosed because the game thinks "Wow you lost to a new player, you are terrible" completely ignoring the fact that there were 2 champions players.

The current MMR formula for teams is woefully inadequate for the game and needs to be rebuilt from the ground up. Its not as bad in 1s but its still annoying beating someone you know is a champion player and only getting 1 CSR from.
These smurfs have no shame. I may not be able to do anything about it, but I can complain about it. If a person is so bored with their rank, that the only way they can enjoy the game is to cheat, they need a speech on sportsmanship. They all need to watch Rudy, Remember the Titans, or some old GI Joe cartoons from the 1980s.
<blockquote class="box-quote" data-username="THEWALL766" data-postid="11">
<p>Smurfs are a bigger issue in teams because you can throw a new account in with 2 Champion accounts and the champions will gain large amounts of CSR for beating mediocre teams. In addition, A team of diamond ranked players playing the 2 champion and new account team will get hosed because the game thinks "Wow you lost to a new player, you are terrible" completely ignoring the fact that there were 2 champions players.</p>
<p></p>
<p>The current MMR formula for teams is woefully inadequate for the game and needs to be rebuilt from the ground up. Its not as bad in 1s but its still annoying beating someone you know is a champion player and only getting 1 CSR from.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>Or if you just lost to someone who you know is a champ and your mmr gets slammed for it, whereas by rights you should've only lost a little. Makes getting out of diamond particularly hard, you don't get so much for beating lower ranks but you lose alot of mmr if you lose those same games.