Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo Wars Series

[Locked] Something needs to be done about ranking!

OP onestrokeimdone

Before you say its the beta, I have encountered the same situation in h5.

The placement system is seriously flawed. I have played 2 placements on my main in hw2 and 1 on an alt.

The first placement on my main I went 9-1 and placed plat 2. I ended up in the top 7 world leaderboard as far as wins go with an onyx in my team. My record was something like 68-3 and I couldnt even get to diamond. I decided to make an alt to try the system again. This time I had an onyx on my team for all 10 placements and won every game. We played onyx 1650's and steam rolled every game. The closest game we were up by 2500 tickets. Ranked plat 4.

Deathmatch was then released so I played another 10 matches and lost 1 match to a champion 1 and 6. These guys are currently 1 and 2 on the world leaderboard. Every other game was not even close at all. Me and my partner ranked plat 4 and 1.

Make placement match skill a priority. I don't need to find a game in 30 seconds if it means I rank low and have to grind for 16 hours to hit the same point. Dont say its just a beta because I have encountered the exact same situation in h5, and im a champion in that game so im not complaining like a typical gold who deserves to stay in gold.
Well i guess you dont get the mechanics behind the placement matches (which is btw a 1:1 copy from blizzards system since 343 hired for Halo 5 the guy who invented it for them)

The game looks:
A) Did you win or lose
B) Rank of the opponent

So here we are: you went 10:0
Lets say 5 of them wasnt even ranked at that moment (which i guess will be calculated as bronze tier, and yes this an issue from beta when the majority of the players are not ranked) 1 silver 1 gold 1 platinum 1 diamond 1 onyx

For 1 outta 10 wins against an onyx no calculation in the world would say "ah yes its true he belongs there" the sample size is simply to small for it, same goes with diamond.
So its just natural that Platinum is pretty much the highest you can get in placement. To get straight into diamond or onyx would have needed much more games against players from this tier to raise the "played value".

PS: you ranked once Champion in all your seasons played and thinking this is just the slightest kind of argument is arrogant to say at least.
You don't know the rank of those you're fighting, I don't know where you keep getting this from.
sicsche wrote:
Well i guess you dont get the mechanics behind the placement matches (which is btw a 1:1 copy from blizzards system since 343 hired for Halo 5 the guy who invented it for them)

The game looks:
A) Did you win or lose
B) Rank of the opponent

So here we are: you went 10:0
Lets say 5 of them wasnt even ranked at that moment (which i guess will be calculated as bronze tier, and yes this an issue from beta when the majority of the players are not ranked) 1 silver 1 gold 1 platinum 1 diamond 1 onyx

For 1 outta 10 wins against an onyx no calculation in the world would say "ah yes its true he belongs there" the sample size is simply to small for it, same goes with diamond.
So its just natural that Platinum is pretty much the highest you can get in placement. To get straight into diamond or onyx would have needed much more games against players from this tier to raise the "played value".

PS: you ranked once Champion in all your seasons played and thinking this is just the slightest kind of argument is arrogant to say at least.
You don't know the rank of those you're fighting, I don't know where you keep getting this from.
It shows the ranking on some betas. Mine doesnt but my friends does.

Also to the guy above. I was two games from champion in the first season quit for 5 months and got champion my first season back. Im not champion this season because I honestly dont care to grind this season with halo wars out. I have helped 10+ people get into champion and low 50s and have beaten people in the number one positions. Im confident in my skill and this ranking system is flawed. What im saying is that I shouldnt be able to go 10-0 and still rank platinum when the beta has been out for several days and my teammate is onyx and we are pulling in onyx players. The ranking is obviously flawed.

You dont have any type of argument if you ranked silver. I have been through all the ranking systems and this one is good in theory but needs adjustments.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not flame or attack other members. This includes stat-flaming.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not flame or attack other members. This includes stat-flaming.
Spoiler:
Show
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not flame or attack other members.
Spoiler:
Show
Spoiler:
Show
I was kinda under the impression that placement matches don't just care about your W/L or even what the ranks your opponents are. Through my observations Halo 5 and even Halo Wars 2 (for now) used performance based ranking for placement matches (and placement matches only). I thought this solely because I have a group of friends that I play consistently with and in most cases I generally do better than them (not always, but more than 90% of the time). We play our placement matches together fairly often most seasons. I generally place 1 or 2 tiers higher than they do (they usually place gold and I usually place platinum or diamond). Even though we win/lose the same numbers of games I generally have the most kills, least deaths, most objectives, medals, etc. The only reason that I could see me being placed better is if placement matches looked at more than just W/L but also what you did and how you performed against people in this range. I would assume that analytics have come far and that if you consistent score like a platinum does then you'll be placed in that rank. This also seemed true in Halo Wars 2. I generally had the most captures and steals in the game and I placed Plat 5.

Now don't get me wrong I honestly don't know but it's just an observation that I've thought about for awhile.
I was kinda under the impression that placement matches don't just care about your W/L or even what the ranks your opponents are. Through my observations Halo 5 and even Halo Wars 2 (for now) used performance based ranking for placement matches (and placement matches only). I thought this solely because I have a group of friends that I play consistently with and in most cases I generally do better than them (not always, but more than 90% of the time). We play our placement matches together fairly often most seasons. I generally place 1 or 2 tiers higher than they do (they usually place gold and I usually place platinum or diamond). Even though we win/lose the same numbers of games I generally have the most kills, least deaths, most objectives, medals, etc. The only reason that I could see me being placed better is if placement matches looked at more than just W/L but also what you did and how you performed against people in this range. I would assume that analytics have come far and that if you consistent score like a platinum does then you'll be placed in that rank. This also seemed true in Halo Wars 2. I generally had the most captures and steals in the game and I placed Plat 5.

Now don't get me wrong I honestly don't know but it's just an observation that I've thought about for awhile.
I think it does take into account match stats, but it doesnt weigh the stats too heavily. You may place a few number tiers higher or lower than your teammate if you all play the same placements from what I have noticed. I think its more about who you play than how you play. If stats are heavy then the system is very flawed especially in halo wars. If you win a game of hw2 domination by 4500 tickets and you place low because you dont have a lot of captures that is a problem. Obviously someone building rabbits is going to have more points stolen than someone setting up defenses with snipers and sending resources. If it ranks based of captures then its better to drag the game out and get more points than to steam roll 45k to 0

I think it does take into account match stats, but it doesnt weigh the stats too heavily. You may place a few number tiers higher or lower than your teammate if you all play the same placements from what I have noticed. I think its more about who you play than how you play. If stats are heavy then the system is very flawed especially in halo wars. If you win a game of hw2 domination by 4500 tickets and you place low because you dont have a lot of captures that is a problem. Obviously someone building rabbits is going to have more points stolen than someone setting up defenses with snipers and sending resources. If it ranks based of captures then its better to drag the game out and get more points than to steam roll 45k to 0
I agree and hope I'm wrong on the part about Halo Wars especially (there should always be multiple factors). I would like to say that there are hidden stats that we can't see because the current UI isn't finished. The end game stats screen doesn't look like a finished UI so maybe there are more objectives or stats that we can't see that also help determine rank. I haven't played enough to make any solid judgement for Halo Wars yet.
OK, but since we are talking about HW2 beta, and being that it's a beta, I doubt that the focus is on accurate placements but rather squarely on gameplay, balancing, glitches, dynamics, map flow, etc.

I agree and hope I'm wrong on the part about Halo Wars especially (there should always be multiple factors). I would like to say that there are hidden stats that we can't see because the current UI isn't finished. The end game stats screen doesn't look like a finished UI so maybe there are more objectives or stats that we can't see that also help determine rank. I haven't played enough to make any solid judgement for Halo Wars yet.
Well whatever makes up the ranking system needs adjustment. Even if the placements were accurate to some degree they should make it easier to get out of the rank you are placed. I think i won about 36 domination games in a row and they were not even close and only went up 2 number tiers. Nobody needs to get rolled like that. I played the hw1 number 1 player in deathmatch and he was champion 1 and also number 1 on the leaderboard and his partner was number 2. We put up a good fight but ended up getting rolled so we recycled our bases. They basically did to us what we did to 85 people. If the ranking system is set up so people get swept that hard its a serious problem. h5 was similar as well. If you and your team got a bad placement it meant 50 steaktackular games when it should only be 15.
OK, but since we are talking about HW2 beta, and being that it's a beta, I doubt that the focus is on accurate placements but rather squarely on gameplay, balancing, glitches, dynamics, map flow, etc.
I think they copy and pasted h5s ranking system though. Both ranking systems need work.