Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo Wars Series

Space Battles

OP WalruSS7218

Halo Wars 2 Mode - Space Battles

The Halo Universe has too many units (in addition to those already known terrestrial) I think it would be an excellent game mode, because of the number of ships that exist on both sides, and bring another experience to the multiplayer.
Well, not the same, but! I think it could be awesome to have a battlefield in the middle of the space, like an asteroid or a piece of Forerunner tech. Just like the original starcraft... snifff...
Do you mean fighting with space ships? Because that would be awesome . If you mean just fighting on an asteroid with space battles happening in the background, then that would be cool too. If you mean just fighting on an asteroid, that would be cool too. This game is cool!
Here we go again. As much as I don't want to address this for the umpteenth time, I will. My opposition to untenable ideas won't allow me to let this slide.

Here's my basic argument: Space battles would demand far too much of the devs to be a simple DLC. We've already seen what CA have in mind to be implemented as DLC. That being a few new units, and a few new leader abilities. When you start talking about space battles, you have to look at what that idea is predicated on. And that would be a rework of the entire action point of factions, rock paper scissors, maps, and other core aspects of the game that would irrevocably change the way that it is played. It would no longer be Halo Wars. It would be "Halo space battles"- A whole different game.
Just to flesh out and make my argument clear, I'll copy paste a post I made referring to space battles back in 2016:

Not going to happen. DLC isn't something that adds something as gigantic as space battles. It's something that adds things like maps, skins, and at most, leaders. Even if there was some huge DLC or update that added space battles, I would still be juxtaposed against it. Space battles are a gimmicky idea. The time it would take to piece it together would be astounding. It would be better to focus on extra missions and other things that don't require new animations, new units, and an entirely new balance structure. It would effectively be a different game. Play testing, balancing, programming... Between all of those things and more, space battles comes out appearing much less appealing than it sounds.
I know that at least in this Halo Wars will not happen (or at least we think) And if I agree that there are too many things that involve implementing the Space Battles, if it were to be added serious I believe it as expansion and probably it will be charged for all Users (including ultimate editions). But if they build a special spin off of Halo Wars - Space Battles, I would gladly buy it, hahahaha.
And if with the name "Space Battles" I mean fights of ships vs ships (Nothing terrestrial), with a gameplay similar to Star Wars Empire At War, just imagine a UNSC cruiser vs. Covenant cruiser
I wish. *Looks back at Star Wars Empire At War*
It should be a standalone game like Battlefleet Gothic Armada. Oh my God it would kick so much -Yoink-. Spirit of Fire vs Enduring Conviction, hornets, vultures, condors flying around... i know some ship classess are kilometers long but hey, Starcraft 2 has carriers (capital class ships) in it :v
Something I've always wanted! Ive played a mod for a pc game called Freelancer many years ago which had halo ships in, was awesome! However you controlled a single ship yourself rather than like Empire at War.
The only issue is the fact that most battles fought in space between the UNSC and the Covenant required the UNSC to have like 3 ships to beat 1 covie, due to shields and advanced tech, so would be interesting to see how that would effect pop cap ect?
So many things to take into consideration! One day though I'm sure 😉 I remember the days when halo wars 2 was just a dream 😂
I write again in this subject by the new expansion of the flood, now we know that it is a reality to have expansions even though it has nothing to do with the camapaña, not even included with the season pass.

So what do you think the idea?
Space Battles would be pretty fun. They're usually pretty exciting when reading about them in the novels. Being able to experience it first-hand yourself in the games would be pretty cool.
Dahyerin wrote:
Do you mean fighting with space ships? Because that would be awesome . If you mean just fighting on an asteroid with space battles happening in the background, then that would be cool too. If you mean just fighting on an asteroid, that would be cool too. This game is cool!
if u just mean fighting, that's also cool, if u mean just asteroids, that's alright lol
I know that at least in this Halo Wars will not happen (or at least we think) And if I agree that there are too many things that involve implementing the Space Battles, if it were to be added serious I believe it as expansion and probably it will be charged for all Users (including ultimate editions). But if they build a special spin off of Halo Wars - Space Battles, I would gladly buy it, hahahaha.
And if with the name "Space Battles" I mean fights of ships vs ships (Nothing terrestrial), with a gameplay similar to Star Wars Empire At War, just imagine a UNSC cruiser vs. Covenant cruiser
So a completely destroyed unsc cruiser? But yeah this sounds really cool but would need to be a separate game.
Here we go again. As much as I don't want to address this for the umpteenth time, I will. My opposition to untenable ideas won't allow me to let this slide.

Here's my basic argument: Space battles would demand far too much of the devs to be a simple DLC. We've already seen what CA have in mind to be implemented as DLC. That being a few new units, and a few new leader abilities. When you start talking about space battles, you have to look at what that idea is predicated on. And that would be a rework of the entire action point of factions, rock paper scissors, maps, and other core aspects of the game that would irrevocably change the way that it is played. It would no longer be Halo Wars. It would be "Halo space battles"- A whole different game.
Don't they have a tabletop game called Halo Space Battles? I think they do.

Edit: It's actually called Halo: Fleet Battles
It would be dope but I imagine they're saving it for Halo Wars 3.
So we all agree that it would be something amazing, but we are aware that it will not come as expansion for this halo?
Thing with that is there are very few ships in the UNSC that have the tonnage to stand one to one against any one Covenant, or Banished for that matter, ship. If you look at the Covenant at War mod for Empire at War, which was exclusively space battles, the biggest UNSC ship you could build was only as big as the smallest ship the Covenant could build.
SunkenDrey wrote:
Thing with that is there are very few ships in the UNSC that have the tonnage to stand one to one against any one Covenant, or Banished for that matter, ship. If you look at the Covenant at War mod for Empire at War, which was exclusively space battles, the biggest UNSC ship you could build was only as big as the smallest ship the Covenant could build.
Yeah, I still have that mod.
I think a mode similar to the HW1 mission where you have to protect the SoF reactor except you can attack the banished as well. Obviously it would be 3v3 and you'd have to send pelicans or phantoms to the other side to deploy troops.