Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo Wars Series

[Locked] Specific Base Build Locations or Free Placing?

OP MVP Audacity

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
Ah, the nostalgia of arguing against stupid ideas like these. I don't miss it.

If anyone wants an explanation from Ensemble on why base building was done the way it was in HW 1, read this.
Now that is some Bump, but glad I clicked on it for C&C's link ^^
To those saying that free building wouldn't work for consol. Did you forget about command and conquer and battle for middle earth and how great those games were?
How do you people even find threads these old? Are they showing up on google or something? I'm really curious.
HL8968 wrote:
Free placing wouldn't work out (well) for a console RTS as a controller can only do so much, whereas PC you can have a lot of 'controls' to use.
Don't think that is the main problem. I play starcraft with a controller.

There are several problems:
1.Map Design, hw2 maps are obviously focused on leading armies through sometimes narrow corridors or slightly open areas.
2.Gameplay, it seems to me hw2 is obviously more focused on how you lead your army, how you move it through the battlefield. A new free building placement could just be ridiculous different from the way we play the game. Reason I think the game could just be completely different.

Lastly I just wanted to point out my personal view. I think free placement building is an idea that can be developed and explore through a new character that can bring a new gameplay to the table. Not only a character, but a faction. The flood faction could be a free place building idea... But! Only can be place within a radious from the main base or mini bases... Which means you could always be able to "know" where the spread of buildings can be, so you will not be hours looking into the map for a single building lefting to be destroy in order to win.
To those saying that free building wouldn't work for consol. Did you forget about command and conquer and battle for middle earth and how great those games were?
Please don't revive old topics thanks
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2