Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo Wars Series

Split the community

OP l The Rudy l

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
So whose idea was it to split the community? Microsoft, 343i, Creative Assembly?

A season pass? Really?

Quote:
Bundle Description:Grow your war chest with the Halo Wars 2 Season Pass. The Season Pass delivers regular updates that span more than six months and include: New Leaders with abilities that change the course of multiplayer battles, new Units that add to your multiplayer arsenal, a new campaign expansion with exclusive missions, and even more content to be announced soon.

LINK
Not everyone is going to buy a season pass so this is going to fragment the online community... We all saw what happened with HW 1's DLC - Limited playabilty due to a small portion of the player base buying in.

I understand that this game 'needs' to be monetized beyond the initial sale, and since a REQ system wouldn't work as well with an RTS, something 'needs' to be done to get us to open our wallets for additional content, but it 'needs' to be done in a way that won't split the community.

A season pass is probably a better solution than individual DLC packs which only serve to further fragment the community (between the have-nots, the have-some, and the got-it-alls), but I don't want to pay an additional $40-60 just to stay current with the game, as the current trend is for season passes to be in that price range (if not more).

I realize that I am complaining without providing a good solution, but I hate being nickel-and-dimed. Please earn my money at the very least.
Creative Assembly usually does do this with their more recent titles, IIRC. Not that I agree with it or endorse it in the slightest.

As long as they're not nickel-and-diming with a lot of unit packs like with Shogun, I don't see too much of an issue with it. And either way, gamers have made this practice okay.

That said, I'm not buying DLC unless it looks worthwhile.
I find it weird they've announced new leaders, new singe player missions 8 months before the game is going to be released. Not sure if its going to be content ripped out of the game just to sell, but it kinda sounds fishy.
Just like to point out that no it doesn't 'need' to be monetized after release. I hate that excuse for things like the REQ pack open greed being pushed into games. Now a season pass isn't as bad. We all know halo has had a history of DLC, so might as well prepare people to want it early rather than announcing it after people have already lost their attention on the game like Halo Wars did.
Good point, now that I think back it did split the community and I think they should of sold cosmetic items to make there money. Map pack are great, but when they sell them it splits the community. I for one never bought the map pack because of this exact reason, I wanted to play with the majority not the minority.

If they have to sell map packs, they should sold at the start to ensure most of the population buys them, not at the end of the life cycle.
Well for people who get the special editions of games you can easily get the halo wars 2 ultimate edition ( I think that's what it's called) it comes with halo wars 2 the season pass, a dlc pretty sure it's called escape from the Ark, a upgraded halo wars (better graphics, all dlcs for halo wars) all for 120$ not bad if you ask me
I had the rank of General in HW1.
From all of the hundreds of 3v3 games played, I might have played the 3v3 DLC map 5 times, no more than 10.

Maybe things are different in 2017? maybe more people are willing to put money down for content they enjoy?

Past experiences lead me to believe that the cycle will continue.
On average, from what I've seen, about 20% of a player base pays up for DLC. Paid content can only be played if all players in the game have purchased and installed. The chances of that 20% being online at the same time, in the same game, are slim to none.
I'll be buying all the same, I've never been this keen on a sequel, maybe Microsoft knows this, lol.
Yeah thats a bad move. Less interested. Same old keep half the game back to sell for more.
I too am concerned with DLC, however I believe there are things that can be done to at least alleviate the issue.

Starcraft 2 has a rather nice system where you can play the entire game series for free on multiplayer if you have partied up with someone owning a version of Starcraft 2. You can download the Starcraft 2 Arcade game, but that is limited to Arcade only games I think, I haven't looked it up. However, if you party up with someone who has a bought version, your Arcade version will be upgraded to the highest bought version in the party so you can play all multiplayer modes with them.

This system could be of use for maps and game modes. You have them downloaded but if you haven't bought them, you can't play them unless you party up with someone who has have bought them.

New leaders and units on the other hand could be played against, but not with, unless of course they want to make an über-even playground where you are prohibited from playing against players not owning the same leaders as you.

I do think that a microtransaction system could be used, for aesthetic items only. There are lots of units, buildings and abilities that could have alternative skins. Other announcer voices as well.
Yes, or if it follows along with a similar approach as that of the new Gears of War 4, that could also work.
The content they have mentioned seems fairly interesting. For the first time ever in a Halo title we are getting story DLC, but new leaders and units doesn't seem to interest me as much. I wouldn't mind including micro transactions if it meant everyone gets access to DLC equally as in the case of H5, but I don't know what these transactions would include. Cosmetics? Early access to leaders? None of these ideas seem particularly appealing. I didn't think the season pass model would be returning to Halo, but oh well. At least the HW1 remake includes all DLC.
The content they have mentioned seems fairly interesting. For the first time ever in a Halo title we are getting story DLC, but new leaders and units doesn't seem to interest me as much. I wouldn't mind including micro transactions if it meant everyone gets access to DLC equally as in the case of H5, but I don't know what these transactions would include. Cosmetics? Early access to leaders? None of these ideas seem particularly appealing. I didn't think the season pass model would be returning to Halo, but oh well. At least the HW1 remake includes all DLC.
My other fear with Leaders/units as DLC is that they will be intentionally overpowered initially to spur sales, and then balanced later on.
I don't really have a problem with DLC unless it isn't worth the money. At launch though I don't wanna still see Captian Cutter and Atriox in the pick a leader menu.
MlKlTO wrote:
I don't really have a problem with DLC unless it isn't worth the money. At launch though I don't wanna still see Captian Cutter and Atriox in the pick a leader menu.
I don't want to see DLC at launch because that means that it was essentially cut content. DLC at release could have been part of the vanilla game.

However, the farther away from release, the less likely players are going to purchase it. The season pass will help with that, but it needs to be fairly priced, and it needs to be quality DLC.
While I would prefer they not do DLC at all I hope it's only story content and new leaders instead of game modes and maps. If they are smart they will give all maps for free and charge for everything else (although I wish they'd just not do the DLC thing at all especially considering they already seem to have plans for the DLC when the game isn't even out or close to being out).
I'm probably much too biased to comment on this thread but it's made by l The Rudy l so I care. I personally disagree with the season pass idea for the reasons you stated, but my solution to this would probably be ignored. I've been quoted many times while playing the first game years ago that I would gladly pay over $500 if it meant I could play HW2. This is the only game that would make me consider buying an Xbone, and I plan on doing that when it comes out. My solution would be to make the game cost more money upfront. I don't know how it would go over at all, but I would easily pay $100 for a game that was promised to have a future of free DLC and periodical balancing and buxfixing.
My first thought upon seeing people complaining about a season pass wa they tried not splitting the player bass with req packs and people complained to no end. After release DLC seems inevitable these days so people will just have to pick their poison I suppose. I would rather have a season pass that a bunch of smaller items though to minimize the fragmentation. And at least the ultimate edition also gets you the remastered halo wars. The difference in price is just about covered by the cost of original halo wars currently. If I decide to get it I'll get the ultimate edition as I don't already have the first game. My only wish would be that the remastered first game come out a couple months in advance so I could play it first.
... I would rather have a season pass that a bunch of smaller items though to minimize the fragmentation...
l'm pretty much in the same boat with you when it comes to minimizing population fragmenting. A season pass could be the lesser of two evils (over periodic DLC bundles). I just hope its price is reflective of the quality and quantity of the content.
Maybe they could've offered skins for armies instead of maps and leaders?
To my understanding it really won't split the community. You might have to download a compatability patch to be able to see new commanders and their units in game, but they will probably just appear as locked if you don't own the pass. It says nothing about exclusive maps or anything of the sort.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2