Forums / Games / Halo Wars Series

Suggestion: New Command

OP LoA neo2

Hello 343,
the current state of the game clearly favors banished Leaders. This has been pointed out already by Solid, Naka and other high level players here. Tech 1 Builds for UNSC are almost impossible against banished. The only Option is to try to survive until T2 and CT Upgrade. There is no variety for UNSC. Banished on the other Hand can savely go for Scout, Infantry, Fast Tech and even Fast Expand Openers against UNSC. There might be a lot of reasons for this imbalance and I am sure you will find a solution in the next patch.

I have one suggestion though. Implementing a „Scatter“-Command. With this Command, all your highlighted Units could instantly start running away from each other, in random directions. A similar mechanic was used in the „Cossacs“ RTS. It could also be called a „loose formation“ command, where units just increase the space between each other.

It should be an easy implementation. You could use an easy Command like „RT+ LT + Y“ or something similar. These are the benefits:
- Splitting would be a lot easier, bringing PC Gamers and Xbox Gamers on the same level
- Early Game Domination by Suis and the glassing beam would be reduced and give UNSC a little chance to survive
- the Game would be less reliant on leader powers but on units

Short Bonus:
1. Disconnects happen far too often.
2. Matchmaking is a big Problem. Most of the time I play against lot lower ranked People.

Thank you.
LoA neo2 wrote:
Hello 343,
the current state of the game clearly favors banished Leaders. This has been pointed out already by Solid, Naka and other high level players here. Tech 1 Builds for UNSC are almost impossible against banished. The only Option is to try to survive until T2 and CT Upgrade. There is no variety for UNSC. Banished on the other Hand can savely go for Scout, Infantry, Fast Tech and even Fast Expand Openers against UNSC. There might be a lot of reasons for this imbalance and I am sure you will find a solution in the next patch.

I have one suggestion though. Implementing a „Scatter“-Command. With this Command, all your highlighted Units could instantly start running away from each other, in random directions. A similar mechanic was used in the „Cossacs“ RTS. It could also be called a „loose formation“ command, where units just increase the space between each other.

It should be an easy implementation. You could use an easy Command like „RT+ LT + Y“ or something similar. These are the benefits:
- Splitting would be a lot easier, bringing PC Gamers and Xbox Gamers on the same level
- Early Game Domination by Suis and the glassing beam would be reduced and give UNSC a little chance to survive

Short Bonus:
2. Matchmaking is a big Problem. Most of the time I play against lot lower ranked People.

Thank you.
Why not do it yourself. It’s nice different then hogs vs arby on hw1
A "scatter" command has been discussed previously. Personally I'm not a huge fan of it, it lowers the skill ceiling too much in my opinion.
I understand your point, BreezyStarfish1. I think this is a general question. What do we want? Do we want a Game, that requires a lot of micromanagement skill or do we want to put tactics, awareness and quick decision-making first?

Because, following your point: why do we have an „All Units“ Command? Why „Hold Position“? We already have a lot of very useful commands, that lower the micromanagement but improves tactical decisions. Scattering is the direkt opposite to rallying and should be just as easy.

Besides that, its already much easier on PC to split your units. Implementing this command on Xbox would only be an correction.
LoA neo2 wrote:
Hello 343,

Short Bonus:

Thank you.
Yeah I find hard to get on and play at all anymore because I get matched against such high level players, or super new players, there's no middle.
The dominant faction has swung back and forth with balance updates, it's a work in progress. I agree with Breezy on this one, it lowers the skill ceiling too much, and makes it far too easy to render suicide grunts largely ineffective, stripping banished of their only T1 anti-infantry, making UNSC the dominant faction again. Honestly, things are a lot closer right now between the factions than they often have been, as there have been times when banished has been borderline unplayable (marine week, 300% forgehog, pre-season, season 1, Jerome release etc.) and vice versa. Give UNSC a few general buffs, bring anders/kinsano down a bit and we'll be set.
Then aoe units would become extremely ineffective because people would instantly scatter at the sight of them.
DemonFish5 wrote:
Then aoe units would become extremely ineffective because people would instantly scatter at the sight of them.
Sure, if they are paying attention ;-)
LoA neo2 wrote:
I understand your point, BreezyStarfish1. I think this is a general question. What do we want? Do we want a Game, that requires a lot of micromanagement skill or do we want to put tactics, awareness and quick decision-making first?
Totally agree with this! I think strategic skill should weigh more than physical motor skills.
A "scatter" command has been discussed previously. Personally I'm not a huge fan of it, it lowers the skill ceiling too much in my opinion.
If you are talking about the below link, I think we can do with a bit more discussion about it.

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/forums/38bd6e2ebbb14e5b9b359bb029588800/topics/scatter-button/be1355a2-d412-42cd-b923-32dbb274507d/posts

Since cross play is a thing, PC play have the advantage in this regard. Having a "scatter" button might make things a bit more even.

While it may take still to move units manually, you still have to know when to do it. Maybe a cool down on it or maybe a cost or maybe all units scatter quick but take 5-10% more damage or damage reduction to enemies for a few seconds.

Still a lot to discuss :)
LoA neo2 wrote:
I won't debate the fact that PC players have an advantage with splitting, since that is very true.

However I'd argue that micromanagement is just as important. If you look at practically any other RTS game that was successful it placed a heavy emphasis on micro. Just look at SC2 or SCR pro players for examples on that. I don't think we should lower the skill ceiling of a game that already has a low ceiling compared to other RTS titles.
Breezy does have a point. As cool as it maybe, Scatter would cause a already basic rts to become more basic, limiting micro and possibly killing the balence by making a unit already almost bad such as suicide grunts.