Forums / Games / Halo Wars Series

The State of Cutter (Mostly CAS)

OP ll Cyrax Il

For fear of hijacking other threads, I wanted to start a new one on Cutter. I play him (badly) quite regularly, so wanted to hear some thoughts on my thoughts.

CAS:

the prevalence of air at the moment means two things: armies contain lots of air (good against air) or lots of anti air. That leaves the CAS as easy pickings for most armies - and often, it is downed by “passive” fire, rather than directed fire. A 1500 LP that is casually shot down? Not okay.

CAS is also unfairly affected by Yaps “Please don’t shoot me” - an ability I’m assuming costs significantly less and recharges significantly faster. It also appears to be a glitch:

Postums wrote:
Don't shoot me makes it so all units/turrets/abilities cannot be used for a period of time after it is cast. If a leader power was cast prior to the ability being used it can still be active and shoot.

IE - you cast close air support
YapYap casts just shoot me.
You can't shoot, but close air support still does.
Unless It was an intentional change!

Also, unlike the majority of other ultimates, the CAS is affected by cloaking/ smoke. It’s comparable LP, the Lich, can summon in detector units.

It is also not possible to properly target the CAS - it is an area of effect tool, which I believe targets units>turrets>buildings. So it will waste firepower on shielded Scarabs, units in regen bubbles etc.

And lastly - this thing seems to have varying effectiveness against unit types. I think, as an air unit, it is most effective against vehicles - but I’m not 100%.

My suggestions:
Increase survivability/ armour (for large engagements) OR
Increase damage output against buildings (Drop it on undefended bases for tactical plays - think inferno/ rain of fire stripping abilities. Or the ability to quickly strip base turrets pre-attack, or take out a siege turret base to protect you advancing army etc)

My only other request is to add another Cyclops to the drop - it’s not comparable to other LPs at that stage in the game.

What say you?
To be honest close air support is perfectly fine at its job tho several people and I agree that’s it costs to much. Cutter is properly one of the few balanced leaders in the game. As far as your army comp when you use it your not supposed to have air units because anti air will just destroy your army so if your one of those air spammer in 3 get used to vehicles or infantry bud.

Next the job of close air support is it’s supposed to destroy base defenses you had it wrong CAS priority is

turrets>units>buildings

the name it self should speak for it self that’s why when you see CAS your supposed to spam watch towers

but when you think about the job of CAS it’s 1500/0
yet in a idea situation you could potentially be taking down 1200/1200 which is in fact more that close air support but that’s not always the case most of the time you will be taking down more on the line of 1000/900 or something along the lines of that not including banished shields

me personally I do think close air support needs a buff but not in anyway that you suggested it needs a price reduction maybe 1000/0 I think that fair and effective if you are not planning on pushing someone’s base who is is turtled then go for cutters big drop ideally you will most often opt in for his big drop
Personally i've never had an issue using it or fighting it (since most cutter my rank just rush) as cutter is probably just a leader for beginners in my opinion. Cutter has a really balanced play style that isn't hard to learn or combat and I find CAS as something i rarely use when playing cutter as I just find some other abilities ten time more useful.
I think the Cyclops drop needs to be buffed.
Make it 2 Cyclops please.
A 2 Cyclops drop would actually be pretty insane for cutter .general buffs to Cyclops would be a lot better. CAS could use a fat cost decrease and that should be fine. His heroes laser getting some small splash would be great and give him heavy metal and he's sorted.
Cutter: How was your assault on the enemies base?
Pilot: Complete success! We destroyed 10 watchtowers!
Cutter: Isabel, prepare funds to bribe Pavium's Lich pilot.

In other words, I'd have CAS ignore watchtower. People crap themselves when pav drops a lich on base. But when cutter drops CAS, they laugh their lungs out.
If CAS still under performs with that change, maybe drop the price to 1250/0

For Cyclops drop change to two.... I think they would need to be non vet or vet 1 max. Could maybe change cyclops drop to be a two point for that additional vet 2.
Swerve LC wrote:
To be honest close air support is perfectly fine at its job tho several people and I agree that’s it costs to much. Cutter is properly one of the few balanced leaders in the game. As far as your army comp when you use it your not supposed to have air units because anti air will just destroy your army so if your one of those air spammer in 3 get used to vehicles or infantry bud.

Next the job of close air support is it’s supposed to destroy base defenses you had it wrong CAS priority is

turrets>units>buildings

the name it self should speak for it self that’s why when you see CAS your supposed to spam watch towers

yet in a idea situation you could potentially be taking down 1200/1200 which is in fact more that close air support but that’s not always the case most of the time you will be taking down more on the line of 1000/900 or something along the lines of that not including banished shields

me personally I do think close air support needs a buff but not in anyway that you suggested it needs a price reduction maybe 1000/0 I think that fair and effective if you are not planning on pushing someone’s base who is is turtled then go for cutters big drop ideally you will most often opt in for his big drop
It needs more than a cost reduction, It needs a health buff too, Currently a few marines can wipe out CAS, Which frankly is embarassing seeing as how it's a ultimate ability.
Swerve LC wrote:

turrets>units>buildings

It needs more than a cost reduction, It needs a health buff too, Currently a few marines can wipe out CAS, Which frankly is embarassing seeing as how it's a ultimate ability.
You shouldn’t be dropping in CAS with out supporting units I’ve never experienced marines killing my CAs because I’ve always supported my CAS
Who Picks CAS LOL, just go Archer Missles 3 and strip the base. CAS is too expensive and ineffective. i have however seen it once main a base down like the lich does with the perfect placment...ONCE. I also see alot of people just throwing it out there mid fight, please don't do that - your opponent just runs away and you wasted 1500. It can only be used on offense on the enemy base so they have to fight it.