Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo Wars Series

Things we would like to see change

OP SHAD0W BULL3T

This is constructive criticism about Halo Wars 2 beta, that having been said this is not an attempt to bash the game in any way; for the record I like playing this game.
  1. Music: The first point I would like to make is that the music is lacking in a halo feel, not only is it different from halo wars but its different from halo. Needless to say it sounds cheap, and coming from a guy who knows nothing about music that should be an eye opener. I feel like you guys just copied and pasted Halo online's menu music and put a few tweaks here and there. For those of you who haven't heard it and to compare: (Halo Online: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wca1zujJ0lI), (Halo Wars 2 beta: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AanfFsVtBmM). I cringe at the similarity in these two and how the same generics are played, the music in the beta sucks, and I really really hope that this isn't what its going to be... Please make it worthy of its title.
  2. Base design: Its time to address the elephant in the room, the base design looks really bad. I don't think I am the only one who thinks so. Its whatever though, its not horrible, just doesn't live up to what I would want. As a fan of the original franchise I ask, please play the original halo wars just a little more and see why the base you guys are going for is very unpopular.
  3. Population: Okay, so we got up to 80 population max, thats great, my only problem is that a tank cost 7, a marine cost 3, and a warthog cost 5. See where I am going with this? You don't have to deceive us with big numbers, its a beta. Make the population count 40 or whatever and make the units reasonable numbers so I have a better idea of what I am working with.
  4. Units: Tanks feel underpowered. Canister doesn't seem to work, and if it does I cannot see it. Same with the vulture Y ability. Oh and the warthog is sooooo slow, a grunt squad was able to keep up and I was at the edge of my seat and could not believe the sluggish pace at which the warthog traveled.
  5. Health: The health on the structures is too small, if the health bars in the game are going to be the same size then ship me a copy with a magnifying glass please so I can determine what my structure's health is. While we are on the topic of health, it is worth mentioning that the option should be available to make all health bars visible not just the ones hovered over.
Thats pretty much it, I could probably go on all day about these things. However I could list plenty of positives, I must say that its a pretty good RTS all and all, it still has a pretty good halo wars feel to it in some ways. But there are some things (like the music, captain cutter, etc.) that I know you will not fix, and it makes me kinda sad to see something that I loved so much get an unworthy sequel. And I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings but it looks and feels like a completely different game. I know change is a necessary thing in sequel, it just feels like its changing too much. Other than that I have clocked in about a good 27 hours in the game between these 3 days I have had the pleasure of playing, I am diamond 4 (was 5 but then the game force closed before a match and I got deranked), I have been having a blast playing this. I really do like it aside from the things I have stated. Excellent job on graphics, and explosions... I love the explosions. The command tree is amazing. Really good job guys, for a beta 8 months prior to release I have to say that you have a very well built platform. Now you must take your fan's advice and build the foundation of your game, follow these suggestions and other popular ones and you will have yourselves a fanbase that will be lined up for Wars 3.

- Thanks so much, sincerely
* Austin
The base design makes sense.They aren't dropping firebases with pods anymore.They are using the available aircraft to setup outposts.They are on the Ark away from the rest of the galaxy and wondering if humanity even exists anymore.They don't have the kind of resources to build military-grade operating bases wherever they want.

I agree with the rest of your post and I would like to point out that the beta isn't even a beta.It is a demo.There is another 8 months of development left.Population cap will increase, bugs will be ironed out and a metric ton of balancing will be done.
They should also make it so that if your teammate leaves or disconnects then your unit cap should be doubled to compensate for not having that teammate anymore because it really sucks when you're in a 2v2 and your teammate leaves and you only have an 80 unit cap and both of your opponent's have an 80 unit cap so you are pretty much guaranteed to lose any fight that you get into with them as long as they stick together.

I also think that instead of your allies bases self-destructing when he leaves or disconnects it should just be transferred over to you so you don't have to waste all that time and money rebuilding what was already built before.
The base design makes sense.They aren't dropping firebases with pods anymore.They are using the available aircraft to setup outposts.They are on the Ark away from the rest of the galaxy and wondering if humanity even exists anymore.They don't have the kind of resources to build military-grade operating bases wherever they want.

I agree with the rest of your post and I would like to point out that the beta isn't even a beta.It is a demo.There is another 8 months of development left.Population cap will increase, bugs will be ironed out and a metric ton of balancing will be done.
Thanks for your feedback, I threw that point in actually to see if anyone maybe knew why. I had a feeling it was because of the storyline, thanks for explaining that to me :D.
It seems like a demo, and a very good point there as well :).
I'd like the factions to be a bit more different. They play very similar and just have counterpart buildings that match the other faction.
They should also make it so that if your teammate leaves or disconnects then your unit cap should be doubled to compensate for not having that teammate anymore because it really sucks when you're in a 2v2 and your teammate leaves and you only have an 80 unit cap and both of your opponent's have an 80 unit cap so you are pretty much guaranteed to lose any fight that you get into with them as long as they stick together.

I also think that instead of your allies bases self-destructing when he leaves or disconnects it should just be transferred over to you so you don't have to waste all that time and money rebuilding what was already built before.
Yes! That is exactly how starcraft 2 works, however the population remains the same. They give you the base to command and the minerals of your teammate. I would like it if they did this, because it was a problem in halo wars 1 where if your ally left, you had to face two people all alone without anything but the things you have. I would win most of the time by myself, but when I lost it would be very frustrating (><).
They are on an Ark. There were many of them around the galaxy. It is not the same Ark other were on in either the games or the books.
Dr Element wrote:
I'd like the factions to be a bit more different. They play very similar and just have counterpart buildings that match the other faction.
This is how halo wars 1 was, changing it might anger fans. It helps make the transition between race easier. Though I understand the differences seem minimal, but the point is that you get different advantages with them. Like the brute Atriox (sorry if I spelt that wrong) has an early game advantage, you can upgrade expansion in the command tree, you also start off with more units, meaning you can take bases and domination points easier. The two play very differently if you know what you are doing.

They are on an Ark. There were many of them around the galaxy.
Interesting, I thought there was only one... Better brush up on my halo knowledge again lol. Thanks for your feedback!

Interesting, I thought there was only one... Better brush up on my halo knowledge again lol. Thanks for your feedback!
Sorry, sorry. My brain isnt working. I read Ark and thought Shield world. Nvm.

Sorry, sorry. My brain isnt working. I read Ark and thought Shield world. Nvm.
Its cool, technically there are 2 apparently so you are not entirely wrong (^^)b
They have the Spirit of Fire... THAT THING HAD INFINITE FIREBASES!!! how can they be out now? I just don't see it. now if the Spirit of Fire crashed, that can explain a lot, but otherwise no it isnt right. otherwise yea hes right
The ranking system needs a fix big time. You shouldn't be able to win all 10 placements and rank platinum even though you are steam rolling teams of onyx players and your teammate is ranked onyx. The placement idea is a great idea, but they implemented it all wrong, and it was the same way in h5 as well. It should take player skill and make it priority over finding the quickest match. I rather wait 7 or 8 minutes to find a match during my placements that is against a better team than have them match me with some low level teams that get destroyed, and then I end up ranking platinum.

Grinding from platinum to champion is the most annoying thing in the world when your placements should put you in onyx or high diamond. I can wait 8 minutes to find a game if it means I dont have to play 30-40 10 minute games to end up at the same rank.
They have the Spirit of Fire... THAT THING HAD INFINITE FIREBASES!!! how can they be out now? I just don't see it. now if the Spirit of Fire crashed, that can explain a lot, but otherwise no it isnt right. otherwise yea hes right
It looks like we will have to wait till the actual game comes out, the story line is still unknown.

Yes! That is exactly how starcraft 2 works, however the population remains the same. They give you the base to command and the minerals of your teammate. I would like it if they did this, because it was a problem in halo wars 1 where if your ally left, you had to face two people all alone without anything but the things you have. I would win most of the time by myself, but when I lost it would be very frustrating (><).
Problem is if the teammate realizes they are going to loose, they quit, then the remaining teammate gets a big upgrade. All that work taking out player one was for nothing.

I still think the quitters should be replaced by a medium difficulty AI, who will continue on with what was left.
I think you should be able to zoom out more to get a better look at the map and see your troops better love everything else can't wait to play the full game.
Games should also last longer most of the time its hard to get to the heavy duty stuff.
Dr Element wrote:

Problem is if the teammate realizes they are going to loose, they quit, then the remaining teammate gets a big upgrade. All that work taking out player one was for nothing.

I still think the quitters should be replaced by a medium difficulty AI, who will continue on with what was left.
Not exactly. If player 1 leaves and all of his stuff gets transferred over to player 2 then the game stays the same. The unit cap is doubled for player 2 so that he can match the same number of units as the opposing team and if the opposing team already has an army built then what real upgrade does player 2 get other than a couple of extra bases and maybe what was left if anything was left of player 1 army. I don't think an AI should be added in because they are unreliable and you can't work with them like you can another person.

Personally I would just rather take the extra units and bases of my Ally that left and try to win the game by myself. And my idea isn't strictly for 2v2 it could also be applied to 3vs3 if one of your teammates leaves split his unit cap 50/50 amongst the other two players so that they get an increase to make up for not having the other teammate.
There should be a cover mechanic, like you tell infamtry to take cover behind rocks or whatever and throw down sandbags (or shields for the banished like in halo 3 and reach) and you can tell infantry and vehicles to get behind them
There should be a cover mechanic, like you tell infamtry to take cover behind rocks or whatever and throw down sandbags (or shields for the banished like in halo 3 and reach) and you can tell infantry and vehicles to get behind them
Great ideas!
Great ideas!
didnt halo wars 1 have it? theres less of it now... or that could be the map setup.