Forums / Games / Halo Wars Series

This game is over.

OP PEPORA

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
343 Industries seems to have decided to abandon the game.
https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/forums/38bd6e2ebbb14e5b9b359bb029588800/topics/halo-wars-2-petition-response/e99f479e-06d4-483a-92b5-6bcf2bf4a4f5/posts

There's no future for halo wars 2.
I'm very sad.
Abandon is not wholely accurate. They've reprioritized assets, if those assets are ever freed up work will resume on HW2.
They said they can't commit to anything "at this time"... That doesn't sound like they are abandoning the game. Perhaps after the team finishes their work on Reach to PC/MCC they will return to HW2. Odds are they will since it seems they are moving in a direction to get more titles to PC.
Thanks to 343 for responding the petition. That means there is still future. I can't ask for more content but I hope to see a steam release for increasing playerbase.
If MCC and bringing Reach to PC is a higher priority than the most recent Halo release, then yes, it seems that it will always be low priority. After they're done doing what they're doing, Infinite will be on the horizon and there will be another reason to ignore Halo Wars' existence.
I don't think it should take more than a week to convert windows store version to steam version cuz it is already a PC game.
Abandon is not wholely accurate. They've reprioritized assets, if those assets are ever freed up work will resume on HW2.
“We’ll never say never” makes it sound like there is a very low chance they will ever come back to the game. They didn’t say “We can recommit more time and assets to the game after MCC/Reach”. You’re just being blindly optimistic which frankly I’m tired of holding onto. They’ve abandoned the game, I’m beyond disappointed in their response. Doesn’t even seem like they read the petition, it asked for a small 3rd party team to be hired to #SaveHW2.
nuchey wrote:
Doesn’t even seem like they read the petition, it asked for a small 3rd party team to be hired to #SaveHW2.
Having read the petition myself I endorsed or would have liked all of the requests except this one. Having 343 hire a third party to make balance adjustments would be a poor use of their resources. Not to mention it was the least likely of all the requests to happen. Either do it in house or not at all.
The last time 343 said they had no current plans to do something, it was about bringing Reach to MCC. Fast forward to today, where that stance has changed and is becoming reality. So just because they say they don't have current plans to update HW2 doesn't mean that stance can't also change further down the road.
Anything can happen, but after this I have my doubts they'll do anymore with HW2 (maybe a balance patch or two at the most). The return on investment for putting MCC on PC and adding Reach to MCC are way higher than continuing to work on HW2.

I think no Steam release and some of the issues in the first year really hurt HW2 in the long run unfortunately.
Chimera30 wrote:
The last time 343 said they had no current plans to do something, it was about bringing Reach to MCC. Fast forward to today, where that stance has changed and is becoming reality. So just because they say they don't have current plans to update HW2 doesn't mean that stance can't also change further down the road.
Don’t judge me if I don’t hold my breathe. Bringing a 10 year old game to MCC is a lot different than basic support for the newest Halo game. The premature abandonment of this 2 year old game is beyond disappointing. These forums use to be alive back when 343 prioritized this game (even in the slightest). Look, now they’re a ghost town (cue Modern warfare music and sound effects). But on the real, in my eyes this is 343i kindly letting us know that they are abandoning the game, it’s PR talk.
I don't think this game is dead until we give up on it. Just because it's not getting any patches does anot mean no ones playing it look at Melee tons of people still actively play and it hasn't had a patch in years.
I think we need to all understand how huge MCC is already as a package (11 engines?! Thats insane!) its probably one of the biggest collections of triple A games in a single package working seemlessly ever, so not having the resources to work on this is justified!
nuchey wrote:
Chimera30 wrote:
Don’t judge me if I don’t hold my breathe. Bringing a 10 year old game to MCC is a lot different than basic support for the newest Halo game. The premature abandonment of this 2 year old game is beyond disappointing. These forums use to be alive back when 343 prioritized this game (even in the slightest). Look, now they’re a ghost town (cue Modern warfare music and sound effects). But on the real, in my eyes this is 343i kindly letting us know that they are abandoning the game, it’s PR talk.
Calm down and have some patience. Look at how long it took them to get MCC to a point where it was the game we should have had at launch. There is another team working on infinite so there isn't much reason why the team that was working on HW2 can't return to it once they are done with reach for PC/MCC.
Look at the answer to the petition
I was despaired.
It was never a large number of people,
After all even to make an unfinished game a decent state
343 will give up ...
This is an unforgivable act
It is sad they left balance in such a precarious state imo.
If MCC and bringing Reach to PC is a higher priority than the most recent Halo release, then yes, it seems that it will always be low priority. After they're done doing what they're doing, Infinite will be on the horizon and there will be another reason to ignore Halo Wars' existence.
The team that works on Halo Infinite is NOT the same team that works on Halo Wars. This is a very common misconception.
Bauer8056 wrote:
It is sad they left balance in such a precarious state imo.
There are definitely some balance issues, but there are also pretty critical bugs that the petition mentions that won't be addressed as well. This is really unfortunate. Halo Wars 2 deserves patching, at the very least.
I too want it all
343 knows we love HW2. Although the response post didn't announced plans to actually work on the game further, I'm just thankful they acknowledged that there's a big passionate community who will keep playing the game. :)

And as much as my cynical outlook wants me to conclude that the post is just their way of shutting down the game politely, we can't deny that expectations have been defied before. I mean for YEARS anyone would have said it was crazy to expect a sequel to Halo Wars and here we are. :D

So new content or no new content, I'll keep playing the game.

Thanks Postums. Probably wasn't easy to be asked to make that post.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2