Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo Wars Series

This meta is extremely boring.

OP Hail Kalki 0788

The “balance” updates were really sporadic and is making the game less fun. I honestly would rather more changes than less to give a completely new feel to the game rather than simply nerfing several units and giving Johnson unlimited bunkers.

There are still many leaders they could/should have buffed but didn’t, like the arbiter for example, and ongoing problems in the game that have existed for years, like decimus’ broken boundless siphon, that have remain unchanged.

The game is extremely repetitive at this point in terms of gameplay you encounter, in 1s especially, which is due really to the lack of balance and limited strategies that will actually win you games. In fact, for each leader, there’s only usually at max only 2 strategies that work competitively. For example, what kind of skill is involved in just spamming upgraded jackrabbits? “Oh but you have to micro them”. Yes, moving them in and away (especially on PC) is soooo difficult XD. Not saying they’re OP because I haven’t lost to that strategy yet but it’s clearly an extremely common one at this point with forge and kinsano.

If you check a lot of these top 1v1 games, they’re over in under 10 minutes and most of the time the winning player has only built a SINGLE unit type like a jackrabbit, marines or grunts. What does it say about a game where at the most competitive levels a mass of games are won by just spamming a single upgraded unit?

i know this post will gain a lot of flack, especially the no-lifers who have sunk 5K-10K hours of life into this game, but the actual gameplay of halo wars is pretty lacking at this point. It also heavily favors PC users over Xbox one users, and this is coming from someone on PC, but I usually use a controller because I would rather enjoy my time more than having to spaz out with a mouse and keyboard because winning at halo wars is the only way I get a dopamine rush. /s

It’s not my job to balance the game or provide suggestions to improve halo wars because a) they don’t even listen to the good suggestions on this board that I see about improving the game and adding content and b) the few people they do listen to obviously are just high ranked no lifers who want gameplay where you spam just a single unit like jackrabbits or marines.

There’s still a lack of balance in this game and it is evident by the fact that in competitive 1s, only 5 leaders at most will be used in serious competitive matches. That’s less than half the leaders available now.
the new patch notes just came live, how could there possibly be any meta?
Even with a big playerbase like other games have, meta would first need months to be shaped first.

Is this just complaining then?
Even with a big playerbase like other games have, meta would first need months to be shaped first.

Why would it need to take months? There were very slight changes so it’s pretty obvious what is best now.

It’s pointing out that the changes in gameplay didn’t do much of anything for any sort of real balance.
The point of balance patches is to perfect the balance, and hopefully make every smart strat work well.

What you are looking for is a game like overwatch where they completely change stuff up every couple of months, where sometimes I feel like they weren't made for balance just to refresh the game. I'm pretty neutral on that but it feels like sometimes its just to keep people in even when they have achieved a good balance.

And for an RTS completely changing balance would have the same problem, where the meta would be tge same every couple of months.

I play a lot of multiplayer I feel what boredom you are talking about sometimes. But it's the moments where you come back from the certain death, that keeps me playing.

And if you really out of it but still want to play, do firefight, its a great game mode when you just aren't feeling the multiplayer. A game mode where you can play out all your stupid strats and have fun

I dont play a lot of 1v1s though, so ye

Maybe because the balance patch didn't actually do much to address the broken meta and balance?
a super tiny nerf to Vultures?
air still easily spammable?
a meta doesn't need months to form if nothing in the balance patch actually changed anything

Maybe because the balance patch didn't actually do much to address the broken meta and balance?
a super tiny nerf to Vultures?
air still easily spammable?
a meta doesn't need months to form if nothing in the balance patch actually changed anything
Completely agree and this is exactly what I said. If all you do is tweak a few relatively insignificant things, why would the overall gameplay change much?

Its not just this game but there are a lot of kids on here who just like to be contrarians.
Wait, are jackrabbits a thing?